LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Luger Accessories

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-24-2009, 06:50 AM   #1
klaus 3338
User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 497
Thanks: 0
Thanked 340 Times in 145 Posts
Default Gomann Berlin

Friedrich Gomann got a patent on the 4. April 1926 for his conversion unit in calibre 4mm M20.
The muzzle protector was refined and used by the Police.
Of interest is the date of the patent because of the acceptance mark which we also can find on the receivers of several Lugers of this time.
Attached are the patent drawings and some photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gomann.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	44071  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090576.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	44072  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090577.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	44073  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090578.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	44074  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090583.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	44075  

klaus 3338 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to klaus 3338 for your post:
Unread 11-20-2014, 12:20 AM   #2
Kansasman
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 17
Thanks: 13
Thanked 6 Times in 1 Post
Default Luger 22 Muzzle Attachment Question

Hello all,

I purchased this a few years ago and thought it was some type of Luger training accessory or an extra part with a 22 kit? Anyone have any ideas? It is marked Erma with the Waffen Eagle R stamp on it.

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
  
Kansasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2014, 12:30 AM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron
 
Edward Tinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North of Spokane, WA
Posts: 15,885
Thanks: 1,972
Thanked 4,465 Times in 2,063 Posts
Default

From what I have always been told, these have two purposes

1. put on the muzzle and then it can be used to clean from the front and not damage anything on the crown

2. they are used to attach the 22 training for a single shot - I have one of these
__________________
Edward Tinker
************
Co-Author of Police Lugers - Co-Author of Simson Lugers
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2014, 12:38 AM   #4
Kansasman
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 17
Thanks: 13
Thanked 6 Times in 1 Post
Default

Ok that makes sense, I wonder why there is limited information about them on the net? What should one sell for? Thanks again
Kansasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2014, 01:04 AM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron
 
Edward Tinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North of Spokane, WA
Posts: 15,885
Thanks: 1,972
Thanked 4,465 Times in 2,063 Posts
Default

I have bought them for $50 - $150 - depends on how they are marked
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2014, 03:30 AM   #6
klaus 3338
User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 497
Thanks: 0
Thanked 340 Times in 145 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansasman View Post
Hello all,

I purchased this a few years ago and thought it was some type of Luger training accessory or an extra part with a 22 kit? Anyone have any ideas? It is marked Erma with the Waffen Eagle R stamp on it.

Thanks in advance
Its a Police accessorry and was used with an 4 mm M 20 barrel by the Police. A .22 cal. version is commercial.
By the way: the eagle R is a Police acceptance E/B
klaus 3338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2014, 03:32 AM   #7
klaus 3338
User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 497
Thanks: 0
Thanked 340 Times in 145 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansasman View Post
Hello all,

I purchased this a few years ago and thought it was some type of Luger training accessory or an extra part with a 22 kit? Anyone have any ideas? It is marked Erma with the Waffen Eagle R stamp on it.

Thanks in advance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
From what I have always been told, these have two purposes

1. put on the muzzle and then it can be used to clean from the front and not damage anything on the crown

2. they are used to attach the 22 training for a single shot - I have one of these
Edward,
can we see some pictures of the .22 cal. barrel, please.
I could never get one.
Thanks
Klaus
klaus 3338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2014, 03:36 AM   #8
klaus 3338
User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 497
Thanks: 0
Thanked 340 Times in 145 Posts
Default

I was not sure but I found one of my older threads about the different types of conversion units.
http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthre...onversion+unit
klaus 3338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2014, 10:01 AM   #9
Schupo
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Kansas City Metro
Posts: 205
Thanks: 1
Thanked 102 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Here is an example of the police marked ERMA conversion unit. These single shot training units fit the 9mm P.08 by the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Erma sub cal unit.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	44050  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Erma sub cal parts.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	44051  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Erma sub cal muzzle.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	44052  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Erma sub cal muzzle pol.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	44053  

__________________
"You can't please everyone, so you have got to please yourself." Ricky Nelson
Schupo is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Schupo for your post:
Unread 11-20-2014, 10:11 AM   #10
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron
 
sheepherder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: ...on the 'ol Erie Canal...
Posts: 8,180
Thanks: 1,388
Thanked 4,431 Times in 2,325 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schupo View Post
Here is an example of the police marked ERMA conversion unit. These single shot training units fit the 9mm P.08 by the way.
Very interesting! These sub-caliber conversions lock on the front sight base rather than a chamber lock like the .22 Erma conversions (stepped & flanged barrel insert).

George, is the 4mm cartridge center fire??? I suppose it would have to be...
__________________
I like my coffee the
way I like my women...
...Cold and bitter...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2014, 10:21 AM   #11
Kansasman
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 17
Thanks: 13
Thanked 6 Times in 1 Post
Default

Very interesting! Thanks guys
Kansasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2014, 12:25 PM   #12
kurusu
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,225
Thanks: 2,679
Thanked 928 Times in 509 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
Very interesting! These sub-caliber conversions lock on the front sight base rather than a chamber lock like the .22 Erma conversions (stepped & flanged barrel insert).

George, is the 4mm cartridge center fire??? I suppose it would have to be...
There is/was a 4mm M20 cartridge. And it's centerfire. It has no powder i'ts propelled by primer alone.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to kurusu for your post:
Unread 11-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #13
Schupo
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Kansas City Metro
Posts: 205
Thanks: 1
Thanked 102 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
Very interesting! These sub-caliber conversions lock on the front sight base rather than a chamber lock like the .22 Erma conversions (stepped & flanged barrel insert).

George, is the 4mm cartridge center fire??? I suppose it would have to be...
Yes, the single cartridge is loaded by hand and extracted with a rod run through from the muzzle. Here is a period description.

George
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Erma Einstecklaufe.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	44062  

__________________
"You can't please everyone, so you have got to please yourself." Ricky Nelson
Schupo is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Schupo for your post:
Unread 11-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #14
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron
 
Edward Tinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North of Spokane, WA
Posts: 15,885
Thanks: 1,972
Thanked 4,465 Times in 2,063 Posts
Default

I have also seen them marked eagle 359 (??) and so I was not of a firm belief if they are always police. I sold that one, the one I kept says S.B. 1703

It has a spring action that you push and then it holds fast to the barrel

Also, somewhere I have a couple of 4mm - my friend Russ had a box of them once. But heavens knows where it is...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4355.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	44063  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4357.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	44064  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4356.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	44065  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4358.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	44066  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4359.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	44067  

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 11-21-2014, 10:20 AM   #15
Schupo
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Kansas City Metro
Posts: 205
Thanks: 1
Thanked 102 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Ed,

The military used these Einstecklaufe as well so your WaA marked one was not police issue. Your Schutzpolizei Berlin marked example and mine most certainly are. These are complicated little things and a lot of trouble to use.

George
__________________
"You can't please everyone, so you have got to please yourself." Ricky Nelson
Schupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2014, 10:41 AM   #16
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron
 
sheepherder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: ...on the 'ol Erie Canal...
Posts: 8,180
Thanks: 1,388
Thanked 4,431 Times in 2,325 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schupo View Post
These are complicated little things and a lot of trouble to use.
George, I find that a curious comment...I have fired three different .22 Luger sub-caliber conversions in the past Summer and didn't find them much trouble to use...

Ed's 4-piece 4mm conversion doesn't seem all that complicated either...(Although I would prefer the 4mm muzzle clamp that uses the interrupted rear nut)...

Could you explain further???
__________________
I like my coffee the
way I like my women...
...Cold and bitter...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2014, 10:53 AM   #17
kurusu
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,225
Thanks: 2,679
Thanked 928 Times in 509 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
George, I find that a curious comment...I have fired three different .22 Luger sub-caliber conversions in the past Summer and didn't find them much trouble to use...

Ed's 4-piece 4mm conversion doesn't seem all that complicated either...(Although I would prefer the 4mm muzzle clamp that uses the interrupted rear nut)...

Could you explain further???

Maybe because the 4mm M20 (the one on the left) as no rim and might get stuck after fire.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4mmM20.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	44070
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2014, 11:54 AM   #18
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron
 
sheepherder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: ...on the 'ol Erie Canal...
Posts: 8,180
Thanks: 1,388
Thanked 4,431 Times in 2,325 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurusu View Post
Maybe because the 4mm M20 (the one on the left) as no rim and might get stuck after fire.

Attachment 44070
Mario, is the 4mm barrel insert rifled or smoothbore??? Primer-only ignition can't be all that powerful, even for a .157" projectile...

A barrel insert installed from the muzzle leaves the chamber end unsupported...The Luger chamber is ~.386" dia and the bore is ~.346" dia...So the barrel insert is unsupported at the chamber end by ~.040" total...(.020" radially)...So you can't have too much chamber pressure or it would expand the insert, making it 'difficult' to remove...
__________________
I like my coffee the
way I like my women...
...Cold and bitter...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2014, 12:16 PM   #19
kurusu
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,225
Thanks: 2,679
Thanked 928 Times in 509 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
Mario, is the 4mm barrel insert rifled or smoothbore??? Primer-only ignition can't be all that powerful, even for a .157" projectile...

A barrel insert installed from the muzzle leaves the chamber end unsupported...The Luger chamber is ~.386" dia and the bore is ~.346" dia...So the barrel insert is unsupported at the chamber end by ~.040" total...(.020" radially)...So you can't have too much chamber pressure or it would expand the insert, making it 'difficult' to remove...
Now you got me. This contraption was popular in Germay where it didn't need registration ( there were pistols exclusively for this type of cartridge either made on purpose or modified ). Here I've never seen one so can't really answer.

Apparently nowadays these things must be registered as firearms in Germany. So my guess is they will be headed the same way as the dinosaurs

Last edited by kurusu; 11-21-2014 at 01:04 PM.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2014, 02:14 PM   #20
klaus 3338
User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 497
Thanks: 0
Thanked 340 Times in 145 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
I have also seen them marked eagle 359 (??) and so I was not of a firm belief if they are always police. I sold that one, the one I kept says S.B. 1703

It has a spring action that you push and then it holds fast to the barrel

Also, somewhere I have a couple of 4mm - my friend Russ had a box of them once. But heavens knows where it is...
Edward, it`s a Gomann conversion unit...
http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthre...onversion+unit
klaus 3338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2023, Lugerforum.com