LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All Post-WWII Lugers

Unread 01-24-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
burton
User

Default Erma Model, ET 22, "Navy Model"

I hope this is the correct board to post this question in? If not I would appreciate if the moderator(s) would transfer it to a more appropriate one.

This is the version with the 11+" barrel. Got it in a trade recently, with original box. Function is problematical, even CCI Mini-Mags, aren't hot enough for the mechanism to cycle. Took it apart cleaned and lubed it, to no avail.

Anybody have a ideas on how to make it function correctly? Also how many of this particular model was made? ( only have run into a few others over the years ). Does it have any particular collectors/enthusiasts value? The proof date is 1968, with the Munich proof house crest. Serial number is 61XXX range. Pistol appears to be excellent condition other then the "paint" (not anodized) finish on the grip area has been pretty much worn off. All that remains is a faded grey patina. Thanks in advance, to all who respond.
Unread 01-24-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Richard,

This is the correct forum for your post.

Except for a good cleaning and proper lubrication, there isn't much you can do (or that is worth investing money in) to make this gun function.

You can try to make sure that there aren't any burrs in the moving parts that might interfere with proper operation... The moving parts are easy to bugger up since the gun is mostly soft metal.

It isn't a true "Luger" but actually a "Look-a-like"... They have had a bad reputation for reliability since they were introduced... I guess that is the reason they aren't made anymore.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
Aaron
Banned

One of my references states that 375 of these were made. Most people own them as curios, as they are not considered reliable. In case you didn't notice, they are made mostly of pot metal with a couple of steel parts. The barrel has a steel liner, and the toggle assembly is steel. Take a magnet to it and you will find that much of it is not magnetic. That being said, some people are hot to own them, and I have seen some priced as high as $500. I let mine go recently for $375 without a box. They also made this in a standard 4" barreled version called the Model La-22. I have one of these and find it to be a pretty reliable shooter with virtually any kind of .22 ammo, so it seems these vary greatly from one example to another.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2008, 09:02 AM   #4
StarOfTheWest
User

I got one of those in trade years ago, and mine doesn't work either.

Even sent it to a gunsmith and had all springs replaced, and it just doesn't feed right.

It feeds nose up, as though there is something very wrong with the feed ramp angle.

Pity, it is a cute thing, and would have been fun for plinking with cheap .22 ammo.
Unread 01-25-2008, 09:08 AM   #5
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

Things never seem to change. We have a number of 22lr pistols on our shooting range, mainly to get new sports shooters started.

We bought a Sig Sauer Mosquito, must have been engineerded by whoever left Erma, as it's a totally unreliable POS. The Browning Buckmarks do allright with just about any brand of .22lr, the Mosquito only likes certain spiffy FMJ rounds.

Anyway, the Ermas have a bad reputation when it comes to reliability and functionality. The same goes for the barrel inserts they produced. I wonder what ammo they used for testing?

Perhaps it's a matter of finding the correct type of .22 lr ammo for it:

Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote