LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 10-28-2019, 09:49 PM   #1
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default sight adjustment tip!

Hi to all! This is from my work bench, and is a tip born out of necessity... As most of you know, adjusting the front sight on any Luger is a task fraught in danger (to the Luger!) and seldom ends well... The sight adjusting tools new made are pretty poor? And the originals and not strong enough for repeated use, or a very tight fitting front blade... So, in a shade tree sense of, "lets solve this issue?" I tried the follower to make the task easier, and even do-able...
First, I field strip the Luger, and as we are concentrating on sight adj. all we need is the barreled receiver and that is stripped as well...
Second, using scrape aluminum, or plastic 1/2" thick and 4 or 5" long for a cross piece, I insert this into the receiver forks, right up against the breech face, and rest the cross piece on two more pieces for support. If your are on track for what I've just described, you've eliminated any roll of the barrel or receiver, so we can move on to step three, ANOTHER piece of plastic!! With a hole drilled thru, so that we can rest the muzzle on and drive the sight (using brass punch or rod!) into the hole for removal, flip it over for installation??? … anyway that's how its done in my workshop, by my best elves...Best to all, til...lat'r...GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 10-29-2019, 01:26 PM   #2
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default last resort!

Very rarely, I get a front sight blade that just absolutely won't move, and I don't want to risk damage to the Luger front sight base or barrel band. So, I use a Dremel with a thin cut off wheel and cut a slot down thru the middle of the sight blade almost to the top of the dovetail on the sight base. The sight will then drive out easily..... and, BTW, Luger Doc and I sell front sight blades???... .. best to all, til....lat'r....GT
The following member says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 11-12-2019, 05:31 PM   #3
Sharpsdressed Man
User

I bought a newly manufactured Luger sight tool off ebay a few months ago for $100, and it worked perfectly. I think the seller was in Poland. It gets listed every few months by the seller, so keep looking if it isn't currently listed. Very nice machining, and the body is aluminum, so less prone to marring the barrel.
Sharpsdressed Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2019, 07:38 PM   #4
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default not what you think!

Hi Greg, When I got mine, I thought the same thing when it first arrived, but on the first really tight sight blade, it will just "grenade" on you! It needs to be made from a better grade of aluminum as well, mine bent almost like butter before failing! 7075 comes to mind... these are certainly not made of that!!…. Keep the faith though, I think better will pop us someday.... best, til...lat'r....GT...
The following member says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 11-12-2019, 11:03 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

GT, I think its like a repro tool - I have found that if REAL force is needed, that they will fail.

Most repro items simply do not have the specifications that are actually needed.
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 11-16-2019, 05:50 PM   #6
Sharpsdressed Man
User

Very interesting. I guess my blade came out easier than most. Did you contact the maker/seller about the failure, and did they reply?
Sharpsdressed Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2019, 02:22 PM   #7
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default adjustment tool failure....

Hi Greg, no, I didn't contact, as I'm sure he knows the issue, and I do not want to risk any kind of neg. contact on what, might, or might not be a problem yet to be resolved? I can tell you the materials and assembly points, (threads, depth, design) are all badly wanting, and I know it now, but I was hoping for better?... I just move on....and on, and on.... ... best, til...lat'r....GT