LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 11-29-2019, 09:24 AM   #1
Ron Harding
New User

Default Loose rails and accuracy

Hi. New guy here.

I have a 1938 S/42 VoPo that I bought for occasional shooting. It was rebarreled with a new Canada-legal barrel (don't even get me started...)

Lugers have a reputation for being very accurate pistols. But... I'm having trouble. Shots go all over the place. I get much, much better accuracy from my CZ-75. I've been trying to figure out why. It's all matching-numbers, by the way, not a Franken-Luger.

One thing I've been wondering about: Lugers were supposedly made with very tight tolerances. But on mine, the barrel extension/receiver has noticeable play on the frame. It rattles a bit when shaken. And the act of pulling the trigger will actually shift the entire barrel slightly to the right, when the linkage presses on the trigger bar.

Is that typical?

If not, are there any recommended methods for tightening it up? I know that smiths sometimes accurize 1911s by compressing the slide rails in a vice to eliminate side play. It looks like that could be done on the Luger (but compressing the frame rails instead.)
Ron Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2019, 09:30 AM   #2
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

It is not typical; I know of no reliable way to tighten it. A too tight fit is a more frequent problem.

Since the barrel with front sight , toggle with rear sight are contained in the receiver- they move together.
If you maintain your sight picture and sight alignment, the fit to the lower does not matter.

I would look elsewhere for the accuracy problem- what size group are you expecting?
Look to the crown and muzzle rifling, for damage or uneven wear from poor cleaning practice.
Unread 11-29-2019, 09:57 AM   #3
Ron Harding
New User

As I said, it's a new barrel. Maybe needs breaking-in.
Unread 11-29-2019, 10:21 AM   #4
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,611 Times in 525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Harding View Post
Check bore diameter. I've slugged numerous 9mm bores back when I shot a lot of cast bullets and they can be quite large. Typical 9mm bullets are .354 ~ .355" in diameter. I've loaded .357" bullets for some of my 9mm pistols with oversize bores but never for a Luger with an original barrel.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2019, 01:31 PM   #5
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Harding View Post
Sorry,
missed that tidbit.
Then it could be just a bad barrel.
Unread 11-29-2019, 09:26 PM   #6
4 Scale
User

I have a Luger that had play between the frame and barrel extension/receiver. Like yours, it rattled and depressing the trigger moved the upper to the right. So much so that the grip safety did not work. A weld to add metal to the upper coupled with careful filing/fitting by my gunsmith fixed the issue. However, before and after the fix the pistol was very accurate. As Don explained, even with play between upper and lower the Luger should be accurate.

You might test to see if the safety works.

I suspect the barrel is the issue and would inspect that first. If no issues are detected consider adding metal to remedy the play issue; I suppose at some point too much play might impact accuracy.

Last edited by 4 Scale; 12-02-2019 at 11:06 AM.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2019, 10:01 PM   #7
rolandtg
User

Wonder if they tweaked the receiver when the barrel was changed.
rolandtg is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to rolandtg for your post:
Unread 11-30-2019, 11:42 AM   #8
Mac Cat
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Sorry that the barrel length is an issues, but exactly what barrel did you install ?
Mac Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2019, 08:18 PM   #9
Eugen
User

Detailed photos are always helpful and appreciated.
Unread 11-30-2019, 08:32 PM   #10
Ron Harding
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Cat View Post
Sorry that the barrel length is an issues, but exactly what barrel did you install ?
I didn't install the barrel myself. It was installed by the seller. Only legal way to handle it in Canada, since I don't have the license required to possess a "prohibited" pistol. Standard Luger barrels are a wee bit under the minimum length... the law here uses barrel-length as a half-assed way to prohibit concealable "pocket pistols". The Luger is unfortunately caught up in that, despite its overall size.

The new barrel is probably 110mm (just a bit longer.) Don't know the manufacturer. I know Lugerman sells them. So does Dlask Arms in Canada.
Unread 11-30-2019, 09:18 PM   #11
gunbugs
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,139 Times in 377 Posts

I would argue that a loose frame/receiver fit would very possibly affect accuracy. The shooter is holding the frame, and aligning the sights, which, of course, on a Luger are all on the upper receiver assembly. When you fire it, if the receiver is loose in the frame, it would allow the receiver to flail about, and put the bullet wherever it is pointed when the bullet leaves the barrel. The same can be said for a rifle that does not fit the action tightly in the stock.
gunbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2019, 03:18 PM   #12
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default loose receiver?

I think the loose receiver would have more of an effect on trigger pull then any other reason that might effect accuracy? But, if you're like me, I can't stand something to remain un-fixed, when it is desperately crying out to be fixed! I would probably squeeze the frame, but only with a thin full length stop plate installed in the frame rail relief slots? And maybe a spacer block for the frame ears as well? I would cut it / them, about .005" under to start.. Try to squeeze it, and then check and see how much more is needed to removed from the plate to allow for adequate distance to be moved, and also to allow for spring back. Just me, on a random Sunday... OK, back to polishing drums.... best to all, til...lat'r.....GT....
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 12-02-2019, 11:14 AM   #13
4 Scale
User

I'm with GT, if a Luger is not functioning correctly the universe is out of balance.

Before bending, welding etc. I suggest careful analysis as to why the parts are loose, In my case both upper and lower had suffered corrosion which had been scrubbed away leaving a loose parts fit. Adding metal was therefore the apparent solution, and worked. If you cannot determine what caused the problem, I suggest contact an experienced Luger-fixer like GT or Lugerdoc.

IMO it is unwise to attempt a fix without first determining root cause.
The following member says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post:
Unread 12-05-2019, 11:41 AM   #14
Ron Harding
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Scale View Post
Before bending, welding etc. I suggest careful analysis as to why the parts are loose
I wish there was a book about the Luger similar to Jerry Kuhnhausen's epic works about the 1911 and M1 Garand.

Most books about the Luger I've seen are not very technical. Mostly stuff of interest to historians and collectors.
Unread 12-05-2019, 04:42 PM   #15
4 Scale
User

I agree there is a shortage of technical/mechanical data on Luger function. Options to help learn mechanics are referencing a Luger known to function well, high quality Luger animations like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DBYV6s1lvo or finding a local resource who knows the pistol. Most gunsmiths do not know Lugers. Careful searching of the forums as well. If you will tell your location perhaps there is a member nearby who could help. Also sending the pistol to experts such at GT or Tom Heller as noted already.

Eugen's suggestion of posting photos is an excellent one. Highest quality you can manage of the contact areas between upper and lower, the barrel, any that you think could help. We have had several people with malfunctioning Lugers post photos over the years and the issue and fix became obvious.

Normally the upper should not rattle on the frame at all, which makes me wonder if something odd has happened to the pistol. I would especially recommend photos here/comparing your pistol to one that is known to work.