LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Navy Lugers

Unread 12-16-2005, 10:01 AM   #1
tacfoley

Default Interesting post on gunboards.com

Last edited by tacfoley; 02-12-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Unread 12-23-2005, 06:36 PM   #2
Big Norm
RIP

Tak,
the blade of the front sight has either been replaced or altered to accomodate the little red thingy on the top back. This suggests that the rear sight MIGHT also be altered. I cannot see the 'V' on the back sight.

The gun has been restrawed. I always look at the locking bolt to see if the flat surface and chamfered edges are there. On this gun, the surface has been rounded and the chamfered edges are gone. Amateur work.

The diamonds on the grips are just fancied up with a darker wood stain. They very well MIGHT be the original grips.

There was a hint of glossiness on the barrel in one picture. But its not enough for me to tell. Nice navies sometimes have a shine and we are dealing with pictures.

Sorry, thats the best that I can do.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2005, 07:36 PM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

Tac, he must have not understood and yes I saw you posted the link. he signed up and asked questions on jan Still's forum. he was told the same things there that he was told on gunboards;

http://www.gunboards.com/luger/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6666

James said:
Quote:
Pop Ray

First off welcome to the forum, Dwight Gruber started a post in the general discussion pages at the bottom of this forum titled manners so with that in mind I will bite my tounge on the story.

As for the luger you are asking for an authentication or establish a historical trail of this item.

In order to fully understand lugers it is my opinion that one should also study up on some history.

Adolph Hitler was a corporal in the first world war whom amongst others loathed the terms to which Germany agreed to surrender under imperial German leadership (Kaiser Wilhelm)

As a result Adolph Hitler set about to build his own Reich( The Third Reich) which was supposed to last a thousand years,Hitler wanted the old guard out and all that opposed him. I am at a loss to agree with your post that a man of Hitlers standing in 1936 would present a reblued, rebarreled 1914 pattern luger dated 1917 with the imperial crowns, 1917 date and the serial number buffed of to the degree presented in your pictures.

Adolph Hitler and the rest of Germany were proud to host the 1936 olympics to showcase Germany's best.

Hitler most certainly would not have bestowed upon the winner of a gold medal in Nazi germany a reworked luger from the imperial era when he had several newly manufactured firearms to choose from. No sir not in a thousand years.

This forum draws some interesting lugers to the forefront.

Good luck on this one.
Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2005, 09:50 AM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

tac, the link is above in my posting
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Unread 12-24-2005, 11:22 AM   #5
Ron Smith
User

Tac,

Man, You are a trouble maker!

Here in Orygun, we have a simple saying that pretty well sets the facts, without undo argument.

"You couldn't run fast enough, to give me a gun like that!!"

Merry Christmas, to one of Her Majesties Finest!

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2005, 08:04 PM   #6
Navy
RIP

There is soooo much wrong here that it is not worthy of serious discussion.

Tom A
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2005, 08:10 PM   #7
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley

I was rather hoping that you might post me a 'connecting link', so that I could join in the fun on Mr Still's forum, or have I missed something here?

Graders

tac
It is, but are you a member of www.gunboards.com/luger?
If not, then register, use the same info you use on gunboards (they are seperate), but if you use the same, you don't have to sign into one or the other.

Ed
Unread 12-28-2005, 05:11 AM   #8
Big Norm
RIP

First of all, and most importantly, I would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone here a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

I think that when TomA says that there is too much wrong here, then thats the end of discussion. I didn't get on the original post on the other website of the navy Luger. It looks like there was a lot of discussion there. When Jans Stills website was high jacked a while back, I had a lot of difficulty getting back on it and I just gave up trying. So I missed out on the discussion there too. This is not a snub by me of Jans site. I spend a lot of time on this valuable site and that is good enough for me.

But I think that I would like to comment to my (hopefully) good friend Tac's statement regarding concentric circles on navy magazines. I believe that a long time ago it was stated somewhere on this forum that they were not necessarily ALL concentric circled. The vast majority of them were concentric circled, but some were dished.

I am a bit confused about the stamping of 'GERMANY' on Lugers. But I do believe that was an export stamp out of Germany. Laws were constantly being changed in different countries and the absence of such a mark would not necessarily mean that the gun or parts were vet bring backs. The gun or parts may have been exported out of some other country besides Germany. However, the presence of such a mark would mean that the part or gun was exported out of Germany to a country that demanded it.
Big Norm