LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-27-2001, 08:45 PM   #1
Wombat
User

Default .22 lr Luger found at local store

Just went gun shopping tonight with a friend here. My buddy picked up a new HK P7m8

anyways, I was looking for lugers, and saw one hidden in the back shelf. It is a .22 lr version. I didn't get a close look at it, as we were about to leave. it didn't appear to be one of the "Stoger" models, with the funny toggle. it actually looked like a REAL 9mm luger, with a tight barrel job or something. Grips looked plastic, etc. Very good condition. Just wondering what types of .22 Lugers were produced, or what this could be.

the price of this gun was only $169 !! I know the owner personally (I sell airsoft wholesale to them. they have 1000's of guns), and could probably get the price even lower. Sooo, should I pick it up?

Or, what info on .22 versions is there? All my luger books seem to focus on pre -1946 models.

Unread 04-28-2001, 06:01 AM   #2
Marvin
User

Default Re: .22 lr Luger found at local store

Wombat,

This sounds like one of the Erma Lugers made in the 1960s and 1970s. They were made in .22, .380, and maybe .32 auto. The frames were made of an alloy (probably aluminum), but they looked like the real thing at a short distance. The quality on the outside was pretty good, but the quality inside with the mechanism was not the best. I have owned several in years and if they have not been "shot to death",, they do OK. They do tend to wear out and begin to give problems. One of the first areas I have noticed is the safety quits working, then they begin to jam, and from there, just work it as best as you can.

In my opinion, for the price, and if the pistol funtions good, they are a fun pistol shoot and enjoy, and look good in your collection. Just don't put a lot of money in them, no soare parts available.

marvin

Unread 04-28-2001, 07:26 AM   #3
tom heller

Default Re: .22 lr Luger found at local store

Wombat, Chances are that the 22lr "luger" that you saw is an Erma (M64 or LA model if full sized, or M68 if 3/4 sized). I agree that these pistols are temperamental, but most parts are still available. I no longer will work on them, because even when repaired, the spring balance changes after firing a box of ammo. The only other factory made possibilities are the Stoeger and the Panzer (Spanish made copy in the 1950s).

Unread 05-01-2001, 03:29 PM   #4
Wombat
User

Default thanks

thanks for the info!

I'll just stick with my Ruger 22 then