LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-05-2002, 10:56 PM   #1
Wm."Pete" Ebbink

Default Tulsa Gun Show - Friday Afternoon...

Arrived at the Tulsa Gun Show fair grounds on Friday at 4 pm. Skies clear, mid 60's degrees F.

The parking lots are completely full, and this is only the vendor/seller day. Wow...!!!

Will report on Saturday night and post a photo or two of the show...

Unread 04-05-2002, 11:47 PM   #2
Dan Clemons
User

Default Re: Tulsa Gun Show - Friday Afternoon...

Hi Pete:

I don't know about the rest of the Forum folks, but I would love to see pictures of Lugers and thier asking prices.

Dan

Unread 04-06-2002, 09:11 AM   #3
Brandon Metcalf

Default I'll agree Dan, That would be nice to see! (EOM)

Unread 04-06-2002, 07:09 PM   #4
Wm. "Pete" Ebbink

Default Tulsa Gun Show...Sorry No Photos...

Sorry, folks; no cameras were allowed, and when they did my bag check, the found my camera and asked that I give up the batteries or else leave it in the car...

So words will have to do :

1. You all cannot imagine how much my feet hurt after walking nearly 8 hours straight. This is one big show ! Only got through 3/4 of it today.

2. The Wanamacher event folks advetise only 2% non related gun tables. I would argue with that and say they allowed 5-8% with jerky, art work, jewelery, etc. thrown in here and there. But compared to the deteriation to "joke level" of CA-State guns shows, this trip to Tulsa for a Californian is a well worthwhile venture.

3. Altogether, I would estimate 250-maybe 280 lugers total.

4. Biggest tables were Fred Fiet's table, a private collector named Mulligan (?), Simpton's LTD, and Ralph's WOL. Fred Fiet had the most on the table with maybe 35 or so. It appears like the big dealers use this show for buying inventory, and do not present much for selling. I did not see any real "gun show pricing". All dealers seems to stay in their published list pricing. Maybe some prices will drop on Sunday, the last day of the show...

I personally watched Ralph Shattuck work the entire show floor all day. Boy is he a luger buyning machine or what. I have never seen so much cash come out of a plain paper envelop...

5. Lots of other gun tables everywhere with 5-10 lugers each. And alot of lugers being sold by walk-in folks just floating around the show.

6. Spent a better part of the day looking for luger books. Was able to find a Fred Datig (The German Militaty Pistols) new for $ 18.00. Bought it for its historical value, understanding some is dated. Also found a new Jan Still's (Weimar Lugers) for $ 60.00.

7. Did get a chance to meet the Forum's Tom Heller. He really is the first class gentleman he seems to be on the Forum and as others reported on the Forum. You can't meet a nicer person !

Tom did tempt me and I bought a 1920 commercial DWM with 6" barrel at 75-80% for $ 850.00. This will be my second luger from Tom. I think this might be my first shooter I send to Thor for a TDJ...(Ted, I will be calling you the week of 4-15-02!!!)

8. Some of the tables with only a few lugers were obviusly re-finished lugers that were not tagged or described by their sellers as "not original". It really is "buyer beware". Some of the "nicest" lugers at a small table were all marked as original finish. But they did not allow me to disassemble their 1st. variation 06/24 Bern (so I could look for internal white surfaces). And as I backed away from their table, I noticed their overhead banner that said they were an elite refinish/reblue shop...Boy...!!!

9. The highlight of my trip here to Tulsa was to see a fantastic luger exhibit by a fellow named Atkins (I think) from the New Mexico area. I heard he is an older fellow that has been collecting for over 35 years. This exhibit, located on the lower floor, was roped off to keep folks at a safe distance. It comprised all mint lugers (nearly 20 or so) and Borchardts (2). The lugers ran a good historical perspective and were well presented with ID labels,text write-ups, photos, and manuals. Included were also mint holsters, straps, stocks, trummel magazine and load/unload tools. I utilized this exhibit during the day as my luger shrine; if I got tired of seeing very poor quality lugers or re-blued lugers presented as original, I came back to this shrine to clear my head. The exhibit's Owner should have tremedous pride in his collection accomplishment ! I hope to chase down the Owner tomorrow to meet him and shake his hand. I was just impressed with the fact that he would buy a table and use it to exhibit the luger hobby and not even try to sell anything. (But I do suspect he was working the floor trying to add to this wonderful collection.)

Well, I will close for now. Again, sorry for no photos...

Unread 04-06-2002, 07:26 PM   #5
Thor
User

Default Re: Tulsa Gun Show...Sorry No Photos...

He does have a nice display, doesnt he! Thor

Unread 04-07-2002, 04:50 AM   #6
66mustang

Default Nice write up Pete! (EOM)

Unread 04-08-2002, 10:14 AM   #7
Wm. "Pete" Ebbink

Default 2nd. Day, Tulsa Gun Show...

With my feet well rested, I finished the tour of the Tulsa Gunshow.

1. Saw Bob Adam's table as well as the FGS folks.

2. Met Ron Woods of the Forum in person and introduced him to Tom Heller.

3. Ralph and Nancy came with 10-12 lugers and by Sunday afternoon, were leaving with nearly 29 new lugers Ralph "vacuumed up" as he says...

4. Correction to my first post. The great luger exhibit I mentioned belongs to a fellow named Jim Eckers (or Eggers...); not Atkins. Ron Woods, Bob Adams, and Jim apparently traveled together from NM...

5. Show was great for luger book hunting and buying. Got some nice nearly new luger books for descent prices...

6. Saw a table where a guy sells miniturized lugers in all varieties with cases, trommel magazines, stocks, etc. Starting price was nearly $ 2200 for a basis P-08. Sorry I forgot to get the vendor's name...I was sort of in shock when I heard the pricing...these pieces were scaled down to maybe 1/5 size and were fully functioning but woud not shoot (if small ammo was available...)

7. A collector named Mulligan (?) and his wife Bonnie had an excellent exhibit-only table with lots of mint lugers. 60-70 or so. Does anyone know these folks...? A really nice collection !!! I was so envious...

For those who have never gone to Tulsa, this is a show that needs to be done, at least once in a lifetime !

Unread 04-08-2002, 03:13 PM   #8
Johnny Peppers
User

Default Re: 2nd. Day, Tulsa Gun Show...

His name is Bill Mullikin. All his Lugers do appear mint don't they?

Unread 04-08-2002, 11:34 PM   #9
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts
Default Re: 2nd. Day, Tulsa Gun Show...

Just got home after about 14 hours driving, so I'm beat! The great Luger display was by John Eckert of Albuquerque. He took second in the display awards. The Winchester display that took first was great, but nowhere near the rarity and quality of John's display (biased opinion of course so forgive the sour grapes). I did sneak a couple of pictures since I got in with a vendor and had my camera, so when I have had a good night's sleep I will try to get them on the forum. Albert Beliard was there with some fabulous early Mauser handguns (e.g. a zig-zag revolver!). A couple of high-dollar transactions went down among dealers and advanced collectors. It was fun to watch but made me feel like a pair of brown shoes at a black-tie affair. More later.

Unread 04-09-2002, 03:52 PM   #10
Hugh
RIP

Default Ron.......

With the guns you showed us at GT's, you don't have to take a backseat to anybody!