LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 12-21-2001, 11:10 AM   #1
WMB

Default help me with my P.08

Hi , I'm new to this forum so go easy on me. I recently uncovered a P.08 left by my late father. It's in very good condition withblack leather holster and 2 clips. Bluish-black with checkered walnut grips crisp lines very little holster wear towards the front of body. s.n. is 1496, I believe, and it is seen on underside of barrel, above trigger guard and on L. side, just behind barrel. the 96 is seen in 7 other places on top and L. side of gun. 4 stamps with German military-type eagle insignis are found on top-left, front-right and rear right of barrel. I remember arguing with my brother as to who would get to be the first to fire this gun. I would like to know as close as you folks aout there can get as to value and maybe some other reputable gun sites as I may be looking to unload, I mean sell this piece. Now since I know about as little of computers as I do Firearms, I will be ATTEMPTING to upload some Pics of this. Thanks for your patience. WMB

Unread 12-21-2001, 11:40 AM   #2
BobL

Default Re: help me with my P.08

WMB, Check out the "Technical Information" section of this site. It's on the left hand menu. If you get them the information that is requested from the Data Sheet these guys can tell you more about your gun than you REALLY want to know Sounds like a nice piece!

BobL

PS I noticed your post was dated 12/21/01 at 11:10 am. I'm reading it on 12/21/01 at 10:30 am EST!! Interesting!

Unread 12-21-2001, 11:59 AM   #3
WMB

O.K.so i goes to this nifty tech info section and I indeed find out something about some of the other markings that i thought were inconsequential. "42" and "byf" on top of chamber and toggle, respectively. Blackish finish on all parts w/ walnut checkered grips, so, "Black Widow" candidate or not and what does this info do to the value. This service is great!!WMB

Unread 12-21-2001, 12:14 PM   #4
tom
User

Your pistol was made by Mauser during 1942, the last year of production by Mauser. Are the magazines serial numbered to the gun? (Same numbers as pistol?)...this can make a great deal of difference in value. Likewise the condition of the bore.

Tom

Unread 12-21-2001, 01:22 PM   #5
WMB

bore is super clean and rust-free. Rifling is intact. However neither of the magazines match the pistol, shucks!

wmb

Unread 12-21-2001, 01:50 PM   #6
Dok
RIP

Aloow me to welcome you to the Luger Forum. You probably have a "collector" piece on your hands, and if so it might be prudent NOT to fire it until you know more about it and its value. Breaking a small numbered part can reduce the value by a $1000, so its your choice. Enjoy the forum.

Dok (Webmaster)

Unread 12-21-2001, 02:50 PM   #7
tom
User

From the sounds of it, I'd say your Luger was worth between $900-1100; the holster, depending on condition, maker, etc could be anywhere from $125-250. Your milage may vary.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Unread 12-22-2001, 09:59 AM   #8
WMB

gentlemen, thanks for all your input. the holster is black, mfd. by GENSCHON BERLIN 1938. Has belt buckle-type closure and some sort of finger rest on the front side. Inside there is a space for some sort of tool which is also there. WMB

Unread 12-22-2001, 10:55 AM   #9
tom
User

The manufaqcturer is Genshow, a fairly common mark. In exc condition-no pulled threads, leather pliable but firm, no mold, heavy scuffs or scratches, it should be worth about $150-175.

Hope this helps,

Tom