LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 04-14-2015, 04:32 PM   #1
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts
Default Distribution of 1000 Test Lugers and Holsters

Somewhere I had read how many Test Lugers and Holsters were shipped to what Army bases for testing. I've tracked West Point and Rock Island Arsenal. If I know the rest I can contact them for any more samples and possibly more serial numbers for Ron~~Eric
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2015, 04:37 PM   #2
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

A wonderful air museum from our neighbors up north!!http://www.vintagewings.ca/en-ca/aircraft.aspx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	north 003.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	48059  

The following member says Thank You to cirelaw for your post:
Unread 04-14-2015, 05:24 PM   #3
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirelaw View Post
Somewhere I had read how many Test Lugers and Holsters were shipped to what Army bases for testing. I've tracked West Point and Rock Island Arsenal. If I know the rest I can contact them for any more samples and possibly more serial numbers for Ron~~Eric
Not to stifle your initiative, but that ground has been plowed several times over. All of the available/surviving records of the distribution have made their way into the national archives and have been researched by several individuals. If you have a copy of Michael Reese's book on the US Test Trials Lugers the distribution of the guns is detailed in there along with much of the original correspondence (unfortunately somewhat difficult to read because of the poor reproduction) for the trials. Scott Meadows book on US Military pistols and revolvers has a full chapter devoted to the Test Trial Lugers and more legible versions of the correspondence. Most of the Test Lugers went to field units of the Cavalry and records in individual units are not held for very long. More recently forum member Clark Rickman has delved extensively into the archives and has turned up some hand written information on serial numbers that he provided to me.

There is no single point of contact at any organization or institution that will have immediate access to serial number data over and above what has been discovered so far. Only by personally digging into the archives as Clark has done is there any hope of finding more information. Blood, sweat and tears.
Unread 04-14-2015, 06:29 PM   #4
guns3545
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Eric,

I have to echo Ron's comments.

In my earlier days as a collector of both Lugers and Colt Model 1911 and its predecessors, I looked extensively at the 1900 and subsequent Tests.

There is much data available and documented in several books with respect to the macro aspects of the tests and some very detailed information on the tests themselves and outcomes. BUT... as far as I have been able to see, in the 1900 test there was only one Army unit that actually reported by serial number on what precise guns were used. No one else bothered. And 1000 guns were distributed in one form or another.

Thus, the Bannerman purchase, by serial number, is the most definitive record at the gun level. Ron, please correct me.

On the other hand, we know that two pistols were delivered in March 1901 and one destroyed, but not their numbers. This led to the formal test

We know about the 50 guns delivered with the Powell Device but we do not know what specifically happened by serial number.

We know of at least two .45 caliber Lugers, and that George Luger personally conducted the test but no real data on others and precisely how they were marked. We know, or at least I have handled the two .45s involved but are there more? Perhaps, even likely.

FWIW.

John
guns3545 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to guns3545 for your post:
Unread 04-14-2015, 06:45 PM   #5
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thank You both for clarifying the present state of affairs. I'm proud to own #6786!! I enjoy Test Luger prospecting! I am fueled by my Obsessive Compulsive Behavior or luger DNA! Thank You Ron for your patience and advice throughout the past ten years!! ~~~~Eric
Unread 04-15-2015, 09:26 AM   #6
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirelaw View Post
Thank You both for clarifying the present state of affairs. I'm proud to own #6786!! I enjoy Test Luger prospecting! I am fueled by my Obsessive Compulsive Behavior or luger DNA! Thank You Ron for your patience and advice throughout the past ten years!! ~~~~Eric

... and I own two 1900 "American Luger" # 7234 and # 14124

too bad our guns can't talk and teach us some pages of unknown history.

Sergio

Unread 04-16-2015, 04:47 PM   #7
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Does anyone know what DWM marked luger was officially the last American Eagle to be produced?? Eric
Unread 04-16-2015, 08:36 PM   #8
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

They were still making American Eagle "Safe" and "Loaded" marked Lugers that bore the DWM logo in the 1920s...of course these were produced by BKIW, the successor to DWM after WWI. And then Mauser was producing AE Lugers in the 1970s whose commemorative models had a "DWM" toggle.
Unread 04-16-2015, 09:33 PM   #9
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

There is nothing like the originals!!! Thanks for your kindness, direction and support!!! Eric