LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 09-04-2014, 02:41 AM   #1
Maestro
User

Cool Poorman's Carbine?

Post-World War I, DWM Model 1920 Luger Carbine

http://www.rockislandauction.com/vie...aid/62/lid/883

Quote:
Description: This is a very nice example of a post-World War I, DWM Model 1920 Luger Carbine that is complete with a carbine style walnut stock and detachable forend. The 1920 Carbines were originally assembled on a very limited basis by DWM in the post WWI era, with all being sold in the United States through two or three major importers; A. F. Stoeger, Abercrombie and Fitch or Bannermans. They were typically assembled on reworked, WWI military Luger pistols in a long barreled carbine configuration that was fitted with a carbine type stock. This example is a recreation of a 1920 "long-barreled" variation. It has a blank chamber area with the script "DWM" logo on the front toggle with the safety and extractor, marked "GESICHERT" and "GELADEN" respectively. This barrel has the distinctive 1920 long-barreled configuration, (not the carbine style) that does not have the barrel mounted rear sight. The barrel is unmarked and the left side of the barrel extension has the 1920 era "Crown/N" commercial proof, with no other markings. It is complete with one current commercial magazine with a unmarked wooden base. The front of the frame has been fitted with a correct style forend hanger which has been fitted with a very nice 1920 style walnut forend. Also included with this pistol is a 1920 era walnut Luger carbine style stock.
Condition: Fine as period refinished with 99% of the deep blue finish overall. The markings are clear and distinct and the edges square and nicely polished. The grips are in very good condition with visible checkering, showing wear across the tops of the checkering with a small repair under the safety lever. The various smaller parts retain 98% of their restrawed colors overall. The forend and stock are both in very good condition with a nice medium brown walnut color overall, with very nice, well done checkered patterns on both pieces showing light wear across the tops of the checkering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	43112  

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	43113  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	43114  

Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2014, 02:56 AM   #2
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Darius,

Thanks for your link,
These "poorman's carbines" are awfuly beautiful and quite scarce if in good original conditions; despite the title of this post here they cost a fortune.

Sergio

Last edited by Sergio Natali; 09-04-2014 at 12:34 PM. Reason: mispriting
Sergio Natali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2014, 04:51 AM   #3
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

This "recreation", if offered here in the US, is most likely an unlawful, unregistered short barreled rifle, unless it has somehow made the Curio and Relics list.

Please also note the poorly fitted forend lock.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2014, 09:32 AM   #4
CAP Black
User

Location: Fairmont, WV Right here in Mountaineer country and God's country

Is it an original or is it a new creation? If made in 1920 then it isn't illegal.
Thanks
Jack
CAP Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2014, 09:26 PM   #5
Maestro
User

it is classified as Curio & Relic Handgun
Unread 09-06-2014, 09:33 PM   #6
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
Please also note the poorly fitted forend lock.
Doug, I'm guessing that the 'forend lock' is of the wedge type, like the Colt cap & ball revolver barrels???

Perhaps it was left oversize for the owner to fit it??? I ask this because I have two Italian Pietta repro cap & ball Colt replicas [1860 & 1858] that I bought new; both have oversize wedges. No instructions were included on how to fit them, so mine just hang half in/half out like this carbine...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 09-06-2014, 09:41 PM   #7
Maestro
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luger.parabellum View Post
Darius,

Thanks for your link,
These "poorman's carbines" are awfuly beautiful and quite scarce if in good original conditions; despite the title of this post here they cost a fortune.

Sergio
yes Sergio.. to clarify, this carbine is "affordable" (i.e. estimated $2,500-$4,000; LOT 883) as compared to the real deal i posted in "Premiere Firearms Auction - September 12, 13, & 14, 2014", Post#3 (estimated $37,500 to $55,000 http://www.rockislandauction.com/vie...id/62/lid/3444; Lot 3444)
The following member says Thank You to Maestro for your post:
Unread 09-07-2014, 12:10 AM   #8
Maestro
User

here's a real sweet one at Julia's

Quote:
STUNNING 1902 LUGER CARBINE WITH MATCHING STOCK AND LEATHER SCABBARD.

SN 24468. 11-3/4″ carbine bbl with long ramp front sight, 3-position rear sight, and BUG proofs and full SN on bottom. DWM scroll on center toggle link. Dished toggles with toggle latch. BU proofs on toggle assembly and left side of receiver. Checkered walnut forearm with sling swivel and matching number inside well. Checkered walnut grips. All numbered parts are matching. Original matching checkered walnut stock with original serrated horn buttplate. Not only do the numbers on the stock and forearm match the gun, but the finish, condition, and color of the wood are completely matching and original, likely from the same piece of wood. In an original period cognac-colored leather head-to-toe configuration box-shaped scabbard with very scarce long brass carbine oiler/cleaning rod in fitted pouch and two extra wood bottom magazines. Scabbard has lids at each end that buckle at top and a leather handle. This gun is featured on pp. 221, 248 & 256 of The Borchardt & Luger Automatic Pistols by Joachim Gortz & Dr. Geoffrey Sturgess, and the scabbard appears on p. 1446. PROVENANCE: Collection of Dr. Geoffrey Sturgess. CONDITION: Beautiful, totally original condition with bright blue and straw that would be near new except for extra wear and dings on front grip strap from contact with stock iron while in the scabbard, light wear on sharp edges and corners, a few faded spots on top of bbl, and some corrosion on bottom of frame. Bore is bright and sharp. Grips are sharp with beautiful wood grain and a few nicks and chips to checkering. Forearm has sharp checkering and beautiful original finish on wood as does the stock which has beautiful blue and straw and bright fire blue on buttplate screws. Buttplate has light wear and original bright finish. Scabbard is in very good condition with beautiful original color on leather that has light scuffs and normal wear for its age. Sharp edges and corners are flaking and cracking as are closure straps on top. Accessories are excellent. 4-52105 BWS153 ($20,000-$30,000)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	43170  

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	43171