LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 02-25-2006, 10:48 AM   #1
tsellati
User

Default Legend Bullets???

I am considering the purchase of a Lee Anniversary Reloading kit along with Lee 9mm Luger dies. I also came across Legend Bullets, 9mm 138 grn, FB and wonder whether these are acceptable bullets and grain weight for use in a 1944 byf P-38 and a DWM Model 1914 Parabellum? What I have been firing is the WInchester 115 grain ammo from Walmart.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Tim
Unread 02-26-2006, 02:09 PM   #2
tsellati
User

The Luger for which I am interested in handloading is a DWM Model 1914. Isn't anyone familiar with this company's bullets or with the best grain weight for a Luger? If so, I would be interested in your experiences/opinions.

Thanks

Tim
Unread 02-26-2006, 09:06 PM   #3
Rod WMG
User

Those bullets are unfamiliar to me. I'm assuming that they are to the other guys too as they're generally a very helpful bunch.

I anticipate they can give you a lot of advice on loading for Lugers in general, however. With factory ammo so cheap I haven't reloaded for this one yet, about the only caliber I own for which I don't.
Rod WMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2006, 10:19 AM   #4
unspellable
User

Default bulltets

I cannot speak to the diameter, length, nose profile, etc. of the bullets you mention but I can say that 124 grains would be about the optimum weight for casual shooting loads in a 9 mm Luger. 138 grains is on the heavy side but within the acceptable range. In fact, if you are handloading they might promote a longer OAL which is what the Luger wants for proper functioning.

As for a load, look for one that produces a velocity times bullet weight that is near equal to velocity times bullet weight for the 124 grain bullet. (In other words, drive the 138 grain bullet at about 90% of the velocity you would drive the 124 grain bullet at.) This will put you at a good impulse level for operating the action. In general, having the correct impulse level tends to be more of a problem than pressure when loading for the Luger. (But, as with any gun always keep the pressure within sane levels.)
unspellable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2006, 02:54 PM   #5
tsellati
User

Thank you both for the advice. I have been using the Walmart 115gr 9mm Luger ammo and both my DWM Luger and my 1944 byf P-38 seem to like it. You certainly cannot beat the price and the only reason I have considered reloading for these pistols is because I have wanted to get into reloading. The only other pistols I have are a 1943 CZ27 that shoots .32 Auto and a 1938 Russian Nagant that has a .32 conversion cylinder. Once I am set up for reloaidng, I likely will purchase the dies of this caliber as well.

Tim
Unread 02-27-2006, 05:33 PM   #6
unspellable
User

Default conversion cylinder

I have a Nagent. I'd be interested in hearing more about your conversion cylinder.
unspellable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2006, 07:16 PM   #7
tsellati
User

Default Re: conversion cylinder

Quote:
Originally posted by unspellable
I have a Nagent. I'd be interested in hearing more about your conversion cylinder.
The conversion cylinder for the Nagant revolver allows you to swap out the original cylinder for one that can fire .32 AUTO ammunition. The cylinders run about $50 when you can find them. I actually bought my Nagant revolver and the cylinder came with it . Sometimes you can find one on the auction sites and I think there is a company that makes them as well although I do not know if any are currently available. If I come across one I will keep you in mind and drop you an email.

Tim
Unread 02-27-2006, 09:25 PM   #8
Rod WMG
User

.32 auto is fun to load for with the single exception of the short case. A potful of melted wheelweights will make a ton of the relatively lightweight .32 bullets. And a pound of Unique (or other) powder will also last a long time if that's all you load.

Good luck.
Rod WMG is offline   Reply With Quote