LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 09-25-2018, 05:29 PM   #1
barr44
User

Default Grey Ghost P-38

I have recently acquired a Mauser svw 1945 P-38. I would like to find out if it is an original Grey Ghost or if it was reworked to look like one. It has the phosphate finish, with metal grips that are colored to look like bakelite. It is not import marked. It has an 18k s.n. and a five point star on the rt. side of the slide. The left side of the slide has the P.38, SVW/45 and the two digit sn. The frame is waffen marked eagle 550, the barrel, and the barrel locking block are also marked with eagle s, nothing other than the star on the right side of the slide. Typical parts are sn. 18k. I would like to find out what I can about the pistol, any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance. I have posted two photos. The mag. is post war with the banner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P-38 rt..jpg
Views:	76
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	74002  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P-38 Lft.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	74003  

barr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to barr44 for your post:
Unread 09-25-2018, 07:44 PM   #2
Kyrie
User

By the description it sounds like you have one of the post-war P.38s made by Mauser for the French, when the Mauser factory was occupied by the French.
Kyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2018, 07:53 PM   #3
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,509 Posts

The star acceptance mark on the right side of the receiver is typical of P.38's made under French control.
Unread 09-26-2018, 04:14 PM   #4
Kyrie
User

P.38 pistols made for the occupying French forces had the five point star as the final (or definitive) firing proof. Each of the three component/component groups (barrel, slide, and locking block) that played a part in locking barrel and slide together until barrel pressure had dropped to zero after a shot was fired were stamped with this firing proof.

Here are images of a SVW 45 P.38 produced for the French occupiers, showing the usage of the "French proof":

The following member says Thank You to Kyrie for your post:
Unread 09-26-2018, 06:02 PM   #5
barr44
User

Thanks for the info on my P-38. I was just wondering about having the star on the three parts. Mine just has it on the right hand side of the slide. The barrel, the frame, and locking block all have the waffen proof Eagle 359 and the Eagle/S.
Is it likely that they started marking the parts with the star after they ran out of the waffen proofed parts that were readily available?
The barrel and the locking block both have the 18k s.n.
Anyone have any thoughts as to why no stars on the aforementioned parts? Anyone have any thoughts as to value? I've seen a wide range of prices on them.
Again, I appreciate your inputs. This seemed to be an interesting pistol since I have a Mauser '43 and '44. I figured a '45 would make a good addition, maybe down the road, I'll find a '46.
Thanks to all,
barr44
Unread 09-26-2018, 06:06 PM   #6
barr44
User

I checked the pistol again and found I had the wrong waffen proof number on my first post but corrected it on my second post. My slip up, sorry. barr44
Unread 09-26-2018, 06:22 PM   #7
barr44
User

Kyrie,
Good to know you are still around, I've communicated with you a few years ago over on the C-96 forum. You do get around, nice to hear from and as always I thank you for your input.
barr44
Unread 09-27-2018, 06:10 AM   #8
Kyrie
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by barr44 View Post
Kyrie,
Good to know you are still around, I've communicated with you a few years ago over on the C-96 forum. You do get around, nice to hear from and as always I thank you for your input.
barr44
You are very welcome, sir, and it's good to still be around :-)

Several things to be aware of when it comes to these post-war, produced for the French occupation, P.38s.

One major thing is Mauser wasn't in a position to make very many new parts. The supply system (especially the rail system) in defeated Germany just didn't exist any more. The only raw materials Mauser had were whatever had been on hand before supply of new raw material (and damaged pistols) became impossible. So the vast majority of "French contract" post-war P.38 were composed of whatever parts existed at the Mauser plant when it was captured. Most of these existing parts were salvaged from unserviceable P.38s that had been shipped to Mauser for repair or salvage. This is why we see such a variety of waffenamp stamps on the parts in these P.38s. The E/359 stamp you see on your P.38 tells us that that part in particular was salvaged form a P.38 made at the Walther plant.

Another thing to keep in mind is Mauser tended to place the "French star" definitive proof stamp in the same places that they had put the Third Reich definitive proof stamp, for the same reasons. The significance of this is any "French contract" P.38 that lacks any of the three required proof stamps is of dubious authenticity, and may be a parts gun put together here in the USA by a gun shop or just someone with a pile of P.38 parts.

Please don't get me wrong - I'm not saying your P.38 is a genuine "French contract" P.38 nor am I saying it's a parts gun. I have no way of knowing one way or the other. All I am saying is the absence of any of the three required firing proof marks is going to make a collector suspicious of the gun's authenticity.
Unread 09-28-2018, 02:40 PM   #9
barr44
User

Kyrie,
As always you've provided some interesting thoughts and information on the 'Ghost'. I was somewhat suspicious about this being a original 'Grey Ghost', primarily because it looks to be new and unfired. The overall finish is very good and I am not sure after all these years a pistol of that age would be pristine. However, I haven't invested a lot in the pistol and I didn't have a '35 Mauser, so I'll be content with it, if nothing else it will make a good looking shooter. Thanks again for your input, look for more from you in the future. barr44