LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 03-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
DocDave
User

Default Identification of DWM Luger

I have acquired a Luger that I was told was made in 1930 and is Commercial. It has the DWN on the toggle and is serial number 4051 with parts that have 51 on them. There are no other marks with the exception of it says ' Germany" by the serial number and has a small mark by the serial number I can't identify .

It is in excellent condition but has no " N" for Nitro.

On the serial number on the barrel, the 4051 the 4 looks like it has a 1 or L stamped over the 4 or the 4 is over this mark.

Can anyone tell me anything about this weapon? What kind of 9 mm shell can I shoot out of it without the " N" on it.

Any help would be appreciated
DocDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Doc!
As you will hear often on the site, little can be determined about your pistol without posting extensive photos. Several good overall shots and close ups of all markings will help the site's experts accurately identify your pistol.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
lugersrkewl
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

if its commercial its probably not 9mm
lugersrkewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
DocDave
User

Thanks. Its definitly 9 mm. No date on pistol but with the DWM marking and matched serial numbers it must be at least pre 1934.
My understanding is that with the word " Germany" on it it was meant for exporting outside of Germany.
The only other marking is Secured written in German under the safety.
I would like to fire it at least once but am not sure its safe to do so without the " N" marking
Unread 03-28-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
TheRomanhistorian
User

For 9mm, many of us use the Winchester White Box ammunition for 9mm 115 FMJ (note, don't use NATO or military spec ammunition). The Winchester ammunition is generally well received here for plinking purposes but I have heard that our European colleagues use Sellier and Bellot 124 grain FMJ. I'm going to be testing some 124 grain FMJ Truncated Cone here from Fiocchi but the key is that you don't wish to use any 'hot' ammo in a Luger.

I take it then you've already confirmed (pencil test or whatever) that it is 9mm then? Welcome aboard by the way, Doc.

Nos morituri te salutant - Supposed saying of the gladiators to the emperor ('We, who are about to die, salute you.')

'We are the lantern bearers, my friend; for us to keep something burning, to carry what light we can forward into the darkness and the wind' - From Rosemary Sutcliff's The Lantern Bearers
TheRomanhistorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
alanint
User

The word "secured" in english? under the safety is unusual. As always, photos would help greatly!
Unread 03-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #7
lugersrkewl
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

In regards to the pencil test. I have a mid 20 I believe (dont have weimer era) alphabet and I dont know if its a certain brand of pencil youre supposed to use but the one I used drops down the barrel eraser first easily. I have inspected the bore and it looks above average as far as wear. The rifling is very visible and minor frosting is really all thats not just fine with barrel.

As far as a nitro proof, not being an expert I am still confident that dwm or mauser did not produce a non smokeless powder cartridge luger , ever.
lugersrkewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
DocDave
User

Default Reply to Thread

Thank you TheRomanHistorian, I appreciate the info on the ammunition. I may never actually fire the weapon but wanted to know what might work if I do. Carpe diem!

alanint, my appologies for the confusion, under the saftey it says' Gesichert" which I believe means secured.

Lugersrkewl this is the first Luger I have owned and am simply becoming fascinated by the history and variety. I thought that the weapon needed to have a " N" on it to show that it had been inspected for smokeless powder assuming that if it didn't one could not use smokeless powder. It may be the wrong conclusion I have come to.
Unread 03-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #9
DocDave
User

Lugersrkewl, I will post some photos as soon as I figure out how.

I am on my farm in Indiana and still use a rotory phone!
Unread 05-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #10
DocDave
User

Hopefully someone might be able to help. I fired a standard Winchester 9 mm 9 x 19 shell twice witgh my Luger and the next shell would only fit half way into the chamber. It is as though the chanber slightly contracted. I now can not slide another 9mm into the chammber. It only fits about halfway.

I thought maybe a 9 mm 9 x 18 might work but I understand the shell is actually larger.

Any advice. I really want to fire this .

Thanks

Dave
Unread 05-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #11
alanint
User

You may have sheared off a 9mm case in the chamber. If so, the case is stuck to the chamber wall and will not allow you to chamber another round.

Considering that you already fired 2 9mm rounds through the gun I'm assuming it is indeed, a 9mm. But again I have to ask; ARE YOU SURE this is a 9mm gun?? It might be a wildcat other than .30 Luger.
Unread 05-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #12
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Another possibility is if the second round was a squib round, and the bullet(projectile) did not clear the barrel, and is stuck in the barrel not allowing another cartridge to fully chamber. This is a strange situation. By breaking down the Luger, you can look into the chamber and it will tell you what has happened. Keep us informed.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 01:58 PM   #13
DocDave
User

Default 9mm cartridge sticking in chamber

Thankk you for the replies. I broke the Luger down and there is nothinh appaernet in the barrel.

When I slide a 9 mm 9 x 19 into the chamber about 1/8 to 1/16 will not go in so that it can fire.

The tolerances seem to just be too tight of our new 9 mm cartridges.

I tried Winchester and also Lellier and Bellot FWJ. Sometimes one or two will fire but then it jams.

I am curious if anyone else has experienced such tolerances.

This appears to be a DWM matched number luger but no date on it with serial number 4051.

Any other suggestions on what ammo manufatcurer I might try

Thanks again

Dave
Unread 05-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #14
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Any competent gunsmiths or Luger guys in your area? I'd suggest showing it to someone who has "been there, done that".
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #15
DocDave
User

Default 9mm??

Alanit,

I am assuming the Luger is a 9mm. It doesn't say on the handgun but as mentioned a standard 9 mm shell will fit into the chamber with about 1/16 of an inch that wont go in without really being forced into it then I can't get it out.

It just seems the tolerances are so close.

I can't think of any other ammunition that would be so close to a 9mm but who knows what was fored in it back in the 1920's

Thanks

Dave
Unread 05-13-2012, 02:47 PM   #16
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

Hi Dave, Forgive me for asking another obvious question. Have you cleaned this gun? Specifically, have you scrubbed out the bore with a bronze brush and a solvent like Hoppes #9? The chamber on 9mm Lugers is constricted near the end (it appears as a ring when you peer into the chamber), and is intended to form a gas tight seal. Your chamber may be fouled up. Good luck! Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #17
padredan
User

Welcome to the forum and your first luger. As norm just pointed out clean it, then clean it some more, i am guessing you have tried the pencil test down the bore, but as we have pointed out , look in the chamber if it is stepped it is NOT a 9mm parabelum.
Unread 05-13-2012, 04:36 PM   #18
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I would like to see a photo of a 9mm cartridge in the chamber of your barrel(off of the gun), as I am beginning to think that perhaps DocDave is expecting the 9mm cartridge to go deeper into the chamber than where it normally resides in the chamber. In a Luger, the cartridge does not go fully into the chamber like some other pistol chambers exhibit. A 9mm cartridge will go nowhere near chambering in a 30Luger barrel, so that rules that scenario out. I would almost bet(I am not a betting man) that the 9mm cartridge is chambering in a normal way, but DocDave is not familiar enough with a Luger to realize this......I could be wrong, and have been many times before. If this is the case, then DocDave is merely experiencing a Luger malfunction of another cause, not a chamber problem.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #19
DocDave
User

Default 7.65 vs 9mm

Thanks all for the reply. When I look down the chamber there is a small circular ridge where the rifeling starts. The begining part of the chamber is smooth.

I have really cleaned it.

Does anyone know if a 9mm cartridge will partially fit down a 7.65 chamber? I am really wondering if this is a 7.65 and not a 9mm.

Thanks
Unread 05-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #20
alanint
User

Doc, the chamber would have to be stepped for it to be a 7.65 and you would never have been able to fire a 9mm through a 7.65 barrel anyway. a 9mm will certainly fit part way down a 7.65 chamber, but not far enough for the bolt to close and the firing pin to set.

Your issue is something else.