LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Announcements & Help > Site Announcements

Unread 09-21-2007, 07:00 PM   #1
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default It's time....

In reading one of my Forums today, I was once again reminded how short life can be. Without any details, it simply reminds me that it's what we do with our time and efforts as to how the legacy of our "success", if there are to be any successes, will be measured.

For that, I've been procrastinating on making this announcement. Personally - I'm not sure why I've been putting it off. Perhaps it's because there is safety in having the excuse "It's not announced", or "I just need to do one last thing", orâ?¦ And frankly - personally - maybe I'm afraid of failing. So - here goes.

As several of you know, Jen and I are building an orphanage in Haiti. We've been working on it for a few years. It's not part of a local church, national syndicate, whatever. In short - and to the point, it's "us" and a few friends, family and benefactors - including one very special person from these Collector sites - they know who they are - thank you!!. We have sanctioned, a 501c3 corporation - Project Rennwish, Inc. And finally - as a few of you know, I just returned from Haiti again - to finalize budgets, contractors, etc. This is what we are doing:
http://www.rennwish.org/
- including a video (it's long, at 11 minutes )

To date - we have purchased 17 acres in Haiti and have 47 children under our care - and are in the midst of building a new main building that, after Phase One is complete - will house up to eighty children. The foundation is complete, the well for water is dug, the road has been roughed out, the education room is named the Natalie L. Streather Education Center (and when the school is built in Phase II along with a community Medical Center - the school will be named the Natalie L. Streather School). Well - you get the idea. This is not a something we'll "do" - but rather - this is something we are doing it right now.

But - now, I'm also asking for your help, comments and support. We want to just "get this done". And no - it's not just "any" orphanage. Like Rennlist - I expect/plan/hope - to build a model community where the children are taught values, ethics and a sense of "self worth". It really is that simple.

The target for end of October of this year is $150,000 - to finish what we have started. So - here are some linksâ?¦

The main Project Rennwish siteâ?¦.....A thread I started in the Member OT Forum some months ago. It's a long thread.
.....A Gallery of pictures from some of the visits to Haiti over the yearsâ?¦
.....A Rennwish thread - to discuss, ask whateverâ?¦.

That's allâ?¦ My sincerest thanksâ?¦ It's been a long road - but somehow, I think we have just started this journey.

John D.
John D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2007, 09:57 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

wow John, I am very impressed.

ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2007, 11:15 AM   #3
tudorbug
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

John:

Very impressive, indeed, as Ed noted! A wonderful effort!

Folks:

For those interested in supporting this effort, here is the link by which a donation may be made:

http://www.rennwish.org/

Very kindly, David
tudorbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 04:33 PM   #4
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Hi Folks..

All of you that have replied to this thread... My sincerest thanks... David - especially - thank you... You have a new "Title" associated with your account - with Jen's and my sincerest thanks. I sent it on behalf of the kids....

As an update and a brief Q&A I'm getting about this effort...

Is this something you are just starting?
No - Jen & I have tried to do this alone for several years. I was just in Haiti to finalize many of the aspects of Phase 1. Today, however - we have already started construction (the foundation for the new building is complete, 17 acres acquired, the well is complete (250+ feet - hand dug), etc.). As I write this - we have 47 children. At the end of Phase 1 - I suspect we'll have 80 children.

What is Phase 1?
It includes: - Finish construction of the first floor of main building;
- Install electrical circuits;
- Purchase and install electrical generator (diesel);
- Install plumbing;
- Purchase and install water filtration system;
- Purchase and install water pump & holding tanks;
- Build road from main gate to main house;
- Finish front perimeter security wall;
- Contract metal worker to construct the main security gate;
- Purchase beds and knock-out closets;
- Purchase dining room tables/chairs, eating utensils;
- Buy seed for garden & gardening utensils;
- Purchase livestock (chickens, 10 goats and one hog); and
- Build outbuilding for community water center.

How is the money handled?
As a very brief overview - 100% of all funds received by Project Rennwish, Inc. earmarked for "Place of Hope" are wired to a specific account in Haiti (to a predetermined level, so let's say I need the road finished for $5000 - I release $5000 from our account to Haiti). The account in Haiti was opened specifically for this purpose. There is also a system of "check-and-balances" in place in Haiti, so that if the building contractor commits to doing "part a" - "part a" is actually complete (to our satisfaction) before any funds are distributed from the Haitian account.

In short - Project Rennwish passes on 100% of anything you donate.

Where is the site?
The web address is: http://www.rennwish.org
The physical address is just west of Les Cayes - Southern Haiti. On the website - you'll see the physical location..

Where do the children live now until Phase 1 is complete?
Here - this is Shasha outside the current shack that is where they live:

http://gallery.rennlist.com/cayennea...lbum39/aan.jpg

And this is the current "kitchen" that feed the kids:

http://gallery.rennlist.com/cayennea...lbum40/abb.jpg

Where are you today in so far as donations?
I announced the site about 3 days ago. The goal is $150,000 by the end of October. After those three days alone - we are at 10% of our target budget, or just over $15,000 pledged, committed and received in three days... I also announced it on my Porsche site (http://rennlist.com and the P 38 & PP-PPK Collector Forums)

Simply amazing....

To all of you - simply......

Thank you...

John
Unread 10-08-2007, 10:18 AM   #5
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

I was going to post this yesterday - but, well - that post was WAY TOO LONG - so, I'm actually going to put this up instead.... It's "from the heart"...

Jerry, Ed and to all of who supported the Raffle with either tickets or donating items...

I don't even know where to start - and how to say thank you in the magnitude of the appreciation I have for your combined generous - no, rather - incredible support. For that - I keep re-reading that amount that Ed sent over this weekend - and called Adrien in Haiti tomorrow and let him know we need to get the builders in this next week. Your combined support pushed us over $20,000 bar towards the Phase one goal of $150K.

You have no idea.. Maybe you do..?? I am speechless, humbled and daunted - but know that 100% of your funds will go to the orphanage & kids and just getting it "done"...

To all of you - simply thank you..

My sincerest thanks to all of you from the children in Haiti, the Staff - and Jen and myself....

John
Unread 10-08-2007, 02:46 PM   #6
Ron C.
User

Hi JD,

I am glad we could all help! You have a great group of guys here, and also over on the P.38 forum. A special thanks to Jerry and Ed from me also!

Regards,
Ron Clarin
Moderator-P.38 Forum
Unread 10-30-2007, 11:25 AM   #7
Dok
RIP

Congratulations John, an amazing project! Well done and all the very best of luck with it in the future.

Les Center (aka Dok)

http://www.centercustomcases.com/
Dok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2008, 09:14 AM   #8
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Interesting blog... http://pwojeespwa.blogspot.com/2008/05/john-dunkle.html
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2009, 02:17 PM   #9
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Well ... Let's see... Every time I start to post a reply or an update - something changes. Sort of like "shifting sands under foot" as it were.. Anyway...

As most probably are unaware (as Haiti isn't on the National Weather Channel - or anything! ) les Cayes was a little devastated by the flooding last month. Four of the families we are sponsoring lost their homes to floods and mud slides. The village is OK, but two weeks ago - after a week without food -Adrien decided to feed the village one meal of Perch and rice & beans. He took that money out of what we sent down two days earlier ($650) and to feed everyone was $268...

For that - the entire village sends their sincerest - and I quote from Pastor Vilnor (copy & paste and interpreted, so forgive any new words)- "Please tell the peoples, who are your familes in the USA - please thank them. We have a celebration for them in august in the villages to thank these peoples for thhink of us on our hard times here while we wish they will come to the celebration, so tell them from the children and the vilages they should come with you.."

But - I get ahead of myself.. Here is the update....

We sent the final payment for the construction of the school earlier this week. It's NOT just the one story school you might remember from the pictures and Patrick's trip - but rather.. Now it has TWO finished floors. In there - there are over 250 children (closer to 300, actually).. It would have been finished sooner - but, with the weather, the costs in Haiti skyrocketing for durable goods (blocks, concrete, rebar, whatever..) - it's been a long road. But. For that - we "got there"..

Sooo.. As I write this - here is another update - long in coming - much overdue....

We also have nearly two dozen children who have no "two parents" we have cared for, sent to school, clothed, fed and given some basic needs of life to as well. When I say "we" - that means you and me. "You" if you have supported this site or donated to Rennwish..

As well - all of you should take pride in the fact the you have now completed another school in an area of the world many will never see - much less know about - unless your name is "Patrick" (hey ya' Patrick! ). But - as I write this - you folks have done it..

So for that...

It's a quick update. And for all the "work" it has taken - it has taken nothing in comparison to the next paragraph...

I still have with me - packed and ready to go with me on my next trip...

A small red envelope to hand deliver to Shasha and her mother and siblings - packed with care and love from an 8 year old little girl here in the USA. When I deliver it - and tell the story of one little girl here in the USA to one little girl in Les Cayes Haiti.. It will make all of the past months, years and work we have accomplished - well worth every effort.

And some more...

Thanks for reading,

And mostly - thanks to all of you...

John