LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 06-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #21
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

No offense, but, the serial number gives the gun a historical context. It helps establish exact date of manufacture and year in some cases. It may show place and date of issue or assignment to a specific unit. It may establish a start or cut off date for certain features and changes/adaptations in the firearm.
For your purposes, it might help establish value, as some serial blocks are rarer than others.
Nobody here wants to steal your pistol nor do they want to somehow use the serial for some obscure, nefarious purpose. The only interest is historical and serial numbers are offered up freely here on a regular basis. Nobody, to my knowledge, is looking for a lost or stolen Navy.
The only reason I can see for someone to withhold a serial number would be because THEY perhaps have something to hide.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to alanint for your post:
Unread 06-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #22
bacon74
New User

With all due respect to everyone in the forum, we just don't feel the need to publish the serial number online. I don't need to publish the vin number to my truck to a bunch of random people on the internet or register it into any kind of database available to the general public in order to find out the value. We appreciate the information you've given us and if you would care to weigh in on a estiamte we would greatly appreciate it. If not, that's ok too. Thank you for your help. Cheers!
bacon74 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to bacon74 for your post:
Unread 06-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #23
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,101 Times in 1,427 Posts

Lance, 06 Lugers were made in a certain time frame and sequence. To accurately analyize your pistol for worth it is necessary to authenticate it. The serial number is an integral part of that authentication. Both the numbers and the small letter suffix if there is any.
Further it will also be necessary..to fulfill your questions about worth to look for every serial number hidden on the pistol. There will be a 1-4 number serial on the front of the frame and under the barrel. There will also be various parts on the pistol with 1-2 serial numbers, the last 2 numbers of the main serial number.
All of this comes together to determine if the pistol is as it should be. That and dozens of other little nuances but the serial numbers come first. Without those..it is simply not possible to determine a value to this pistol.

But if you insist on a value with the information you are willing to give I value it at $12-1500
IF the pistol were able to be authenticated the value might more than double.

The vin for your truck and the serial number to this pistol are apples and oranges. There are literally HUNDREDS of Lugers out there with this same serial number. The Germans used serial numbers over and over.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 06-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #24
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

Without a serial number it would be impossible to confirm this to be a 1908 Navy as an example! #2505b
Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mccale navy.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	26800  

cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #25
Neil Young
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Lance:
It is apparent that you have suspisions about the motives of the people on this forum. Most of the participants on this forum are a tight knit group of individuals who have an intense interest in the many variations of Lugers, the intricate and individual details of each and in their history. They freely exchange information about their collections and have genuine trust of each other. Numerous data bases are maintained by various individuals, such as navy Lugers, byf 41's and 42's, Imperial commercial models, etc. Please remember, you don't have to participate in this forum--it's voluntary. I'm just saying.......

Neil

Last edited by Neil Young; 06-05-2012 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Corrected a misspelling
Neil Young is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Neil Young for your post:
Unread 06-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #26
Ben M.
User

This web site has nvy lugers for sale

http://www.simpsonltd.com/index.php?...4a0fa042f29401
Ben M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #27
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I have picture of my 2 twin grandaughters. They look the same. Like some luger on there face seem simular yet their personalitys differ like night and day. -A new model luger contains over 40 individual part. Then no less 70 models. If you care not to take valuable advise or knowledge or we still may not know and after reading just some of the assets givin you. Drive your path as you see it. Or is it 'Buyers Remorse'?One more thing if Your serious read these and other book on the topic.I am a Newbee collection a little more then 12 years. Lugering is was cool if you you decide to Listen then make your own conclusions! None of up have the largest diamond on the block.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	luger bookss.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	26801  

cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #28
Hugo Borchardt
User

Lance:

Welcome to the forum! Several of the experts here track the surviving examples of rare guns. For that purpose the number is appreciated. You could share it via private message if you don't want it made public.

As Eric said, the number is critical to authenticate and estimate value of the gun as being in the proper serial range and classify it under any sub variation that is applicable.

The serial number also gives peace of mind to the experts here that they are not valuating a stolen firearm, and can serve you as additional provenance should the pistol become lost or stolen from you.

When I ask the expert here for information based on their years of experience and research, I provide them with whatever they ask for, and consider it a courtesy to provide information about my gun during the process that will assist them in their records and research.

Thanks for sharing photos of such a rare early Luger!

Clark

My militaria collection is dedicated to the memory of my Grandfather, Marine Gunnery Sergeant Dave Hill, Jr., wounded in action at The Assault of the Second Marine Division on Betio Island, Tarawa Atoll, 20-23 November, 1943. http://www.tarawa1943.com/pages/casualties%20tarawa.htm
Hugo Borchardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #29
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,101 Times in 1,427 Posts

Ben, Pointing these fellows to Simpson's, Gunbroker or any number of sites with Navy lugers for sale will do them no good..They can't accurately compare their pistol to any other. It has not been authenticated, discussed, disassembled, or analized. Since it is an unknown entity they can compare it all they like. They will still be ignorant of what makes it right or wrong. They came at first asking the right questions but no one here can help those who will not help themselves.

There are dozens of small qualities that affect value as most of us here know..if we cannot know this information then we cannot tell Lance the good from the bad.

Sending them to Simpson's site will likely give them an inflated and false idea of what this pistol is worth.

Lance, If you have not disappeared altogether..Send your pistol to Simpson's and they will accurately determine the value for you.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #30
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron