LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 08-25-2008, 07:09 PM   #1
guy sajer
User

Default Sell to California ?

I searched this , but didn't find it . Sorry if I'm in the wrong forum .

A guy living in CA and with C&R license wants me to ship him a Luger pistol . It is my understanding that the only handguns permitted shipped there must be on the CADOJ list . Drop test ?

I don't think I can ship it there . He says there is a new law that permits me to ship if I apply to the state .

Help please .
Thanks !

Mitch
guy sajer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2008, 08:27 PM   #2
zinfull
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Hate to say but there are three different laws which you refer to. In the great state of California confusion is the key in which the politicians try to keep the citizens dis armed.

The drop test is to ensure the the guns are not unsafe. This does not apply to C&R pistols of any age, so no problem.

The new law which took effect in July requires that FFL01 and manufactures received an acceptance number prior to shipping to another FFL01. This does not apply to FF03 or private parties so they can to a FFL or private person with out getting a number. It was to keep the internet sale out of CA. FFL01s can apply online, cost nothing and it is the same as verifying the FFL01 number. No big deal.

All pistols must go to FFLs.

Jerry
zinfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2008, 10:07 PM   #3
beachbaker
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Actually, if the gun is currently held as a c&r and being shipped to a c&r it is perfectly legal to do this. I live in California and have a c&r and bought a luger off one of the auction sites out of state and since it is a c&r gun already he shipped it right to me. Now, if he was living in California he could not sell it directly to me and it would have to go through a FFL01. So, it is still legal to have a c&r gun shipped direct from out of state but not within the state. Does this make sense, I do not think so but that is the law as of right now? Curt
Unread 08-25-2008, 10:34 PM   #4
guy sajer
User

So C&R handguns are exempt from the drop test list ?

I have the proper license here to ship from and would ship to a CA ffl01 . My concern was the approved handgun list . I know the P.08 most likely isn't on the list . I wasn't aware that C&R handguns were exempt . I've seen C&R guns advertised by places like SOG stating that "Not CA approved" or something similar . I guess maybe they aren't wanting to deal with the extra paperwork involved with CA transfers ?

Thank you gentlemen .

Mitch
Unread 08-25-2008, 10:40 PM   #5
guy sajer
User

Went to their site . Looks cut & dried . Thanks guys !

Quote:
Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale
Effective January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice. Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement.

Mitch
Unread 08-26-2008, 01:12 AM   #6
tracyp
User

All handguns must be shipped to a FFL01 in the state of California. There are no exceptions for C&Rs.

Tracy
tracyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2008, 07:56 AM   #7
guy sajer
User

Thanks Tracy .

Mitch
Unread 08-26-2008, 08:07 AM   #8
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Tracy is correct. A Calif FCL holder can purchase handguns out of state OK, but all guns SHIPPED into CA have to go thru an FFL "transfer dealer" (no all CA FFL holders are approved as "transfer dealers") only those who purchase the forms to send the state a payment for every item transfered. TH