LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 01-12-2015, 04:07 PM   #1
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

In your original post you stated that you had acquired Unique Powder and wanted some assistance in developing 9mm loads with said Unique Powder. That is why I responded the way that I did, trying to offer you some assistance.

Had you ask what powders work well in 9mm cases and their load data, then I would have responded differently, as there are many pistol powders out there that will function well in 9mm brass......you just can't find/purchase them. These days, if you have pistol powder in your hand, then you are ahead of the game, rather that suggesting using "pie in the sky" pistol powders that just aren't available for purchasing, at least not to me in my area. Hopefully this will correct itself soon, but right now, one uses what one has and be happy to have it.

Let us know how things are progressing for you and your loads, and if I can be of any further assistance, then I would be more than happy to do so. I like to hear that a forum member has go his/her Luger up and running, if that is their goal.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to rhuff for your post:
Unread 01-13-2015, 01:27 AM   #2
TheRomanhistorian
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff View Post
In your original post you stated that you had acquired Unique Powder and wanted some assistance in developing 9mm loads with said Unique Powder. That is why I responded the way that I did, trying to offer you some assistance.

Had you ask what powders work well in 9mm cases and their load data, then I would have responded differently, as there are many pistol powders out there that will function well in 9mm brass......you just can't find/purchase them. These days, if you have pistol powder in your hand, then you are ahead of the game, rather that suggesting using "pie in the sky" pistol powders that just aren't available for purchasing, at least not to me in my area. Hopefully this will correct itself soon, but right now, one uses what one has and be happy to have it.

Let us know how things are progressing for you and your loads, and if I can be of any further assistance, then I would be more than happy to do so. I like to hear that a forum member has go his/her Luger up and running, if that is their goal.
rhuff, sorry, I hope I didn't give the appearance I did not appreciate your information, too (I thought I had and I'm grateful for your original thoughts) and I'm developing my load along your lines. I wish I could get other powders but I'm stuck with just Bullseye and Unique and only 80% of a 1 lb canister for each. I was hoping to get a line on more from a local who seems to have stockpiled and is offering me a pound of Bullseye and Unique each at $39 per canister. Double what I used to pay but, well, I do need the spare powder. In hindsight I should have gotten 115 grain bullets as that would be easier (and cheaper) but my local supplier was out.

The only other powder I have left is 3 canisters of Trail Boss but I doubt that'll function a 9mm at all!

I'm trying 4.9 grains of Unique and 5.0 grains of Unique this weekend per your suggestions and Sieger's. Trying to establish a base line load and then see if they'll even function the pistol properly.

Nos morituri te salutant - Supposed saying of the gladiators to the emperor ('We, who are about to die, salute you.')

'We are the lantern bearers, my friend; for us to keep something burning, to carry what light we can forward into the darkness and the wind' - From Rosemary Sutcliff's The Lantern Bearers
TheRomanhistorian is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to TheRomanhistorian for your post:
Unread 01-13-2015, 02:59 PM   #3
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Michael,

I did not think for a moment that you did not appreciate the information I offered to you. That post was not directed in your direction. I have tried the fast burners like Bullseye and Red Dot powder in the 9mm brass for my Lugers. I can make them work, but the results do not meet my requirements. This info concerns MY LUGERS, and does not mean that these fast powders will not work in your Luger. This is a trial and error type endeavor, but is also part of the fun of handloading. Once you hit upon "the load" for your Luger, you have the satisfaction of achievment....anyway, I do.

I firmly believe that you will be wasting your time with any trials with Trail Boss Powder in 9mm brass. I use it a lot in the old large black powder cases, but it was never designed for a high pressure round, and it does NOT play well if compressed.

Let us know how things work out for your loads.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to rhuff for your post: