, Collector Forums" /> Lugerforum Archive" /> A Little Disappointed - LugerForum Discussion Forums
LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 10-02-2001, 11:21 AM   #1
Aaron
Banned

Default A Little Disappointed

Was somewhat disappointed when yesterday went by and there were no gun show reports. I look forward to Mondays to hear what is going on at the various shows as far as it pertains to Lugers. Maybe this was a poor weekend for gun shows, but I love to hear about them, good or bad.

Unread 10-02-2001, 05:16 PM   #2
Joe
User

Default Not at all disappointed

I attended the MAX Show this past weekend in PA. To me it is the best military show, but I have never been to it's rival, the SOS.

There were a number of Lugers being offered for sale by different dealers. I did not buy one this year because the one that I was "hot" for cost big $$$. It was a 1906 Navy in great condition, with matching mag. The mag was also marked with the same Imperial naval inventory number that was on the rear grip strap. It came with a 1906 holster.

There was also a nice police marked DWM, dated 1915, that came with 2 matched mags and a matched holster. The holster was a nice LP-08 rework to a 4 inch police model. I saw a nice condition DWM, with Imperial unit marks on the front grip strap, but the previous owner had his name professionally engraved on the side plate. There were quite a few other Lugers being offered, including another not as good 1906 Navy. Ralph had his table set up in his usual spot, but I did not see him when the times I passed by his table

Unread 10-02-2001, 09:30 PM   #3
Aaron
Banned

Default No longer disappointed

Now that's the stuff I like to know. The only things missing are the asking prices, which can be very educational. Anyway, thanks for the fascinating report. I hope to contribute one myself next week.

Unread 10-02-2001, 09:36 PM   #4
Thor
User

Default Re: Gunshows

I will be going to our biannual gun show sponsered by the NM Gun Collectors Association, not big by most standards, around 600 tables. I will have my track shoes on and blaze through there from opening bell and usually get through there in about 45 minutes. I did find a cyq P.38 in about 98% condition for $275 (import marked) at the last one! I shoot it quite a bit. Bob Adams usually has some nice Wall displays of Lugers and assessories. I will be looking primarily for Luger holsters and Luger Books. Will let you know what I find! I usually dismally dissapointed and dont like being in there too long. I dont like crowds! And prefer to get first pickings so I go early and go fast. ~Thor~

Unread 10-03-2001, 02:46 AM   #5
Aaron
Banned

Interesting to hear how people have different techniques for covering a gun show. In my experience, the vast majority of attendees pile in at the opening bell and cluster around the dealers who sell new guns, ammo, reloading supplies, etc. The collectors head for the back tables well before the crowds get there. Furthermore, there is little competition for the choice collectible items. At the last show in Phoenix I bought a nearly mint cyq zero series P-38 for $350. Also found an excellent 1940 Luger holster with a really rare loading tool for $65. So the deals are still out there. Hope to do as well next weekend.

Unread 10-03-2001, 02:48 AM   #6
Thor
User

Hey those are great finds, awesome! Well, this show never has much but I am still hopefull. Thor

Unread 10-03-2001, 02:45 PM   #7
Johnny Peppers
User

I haven't been to one of the Houston Astrohall shows in several years, but the better part of the gunshow took place on Friday while the dealers were setting up. The show opened at 8:00am, and most of the good finds and deals took place before the show opened to the public on Saturday.

The Ohio Gun Collectors Association shows were very different in that you could take your plunder in on Friday, but had to leave it under the table. On Saturday morning everyone set up at the same time to give everyone an equal chance, but the show was a closed show only open to OGCA members and their guests.

Unread 10-03-2001, 03:16 PM   #8
Aaron
Banned

I am not in favor of not allowing trading until the show opens on Saturday morning. Many earnest collectors buy a table just for the privilege of getting an early crack at the items offered. I only take a table to display a few items and to be in a position to buy what is of interest to me. I would guess that fewer tables would sell at the average show if there were no trading prior to the opening.