LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 01-19-2018, 07:14 PM   #1
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts
Default One for the data base

I don't see this serial number 42678 in the data base. It does fit within a recorded range of other 9mm Commercial and AE Lugers. After 1913, commercials apparently had stock lugs, so I think this is a pre-'13. Is it worth a hypothetical bid of $900? (I don't have the clout at the moment to bid, but if I did, I would.)

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDeta...nder_LS_Button I believe this auction is the enterprise or Rod Hradil, but I'm not particularly heedful of his description. Where did he pull this info from?!
Unread 01-19-2018, 07:22 PM   #2
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

A 1906 Commercial in 9mm. A bit rough but your hypothetical $900 (but not a lot more) would be a pretty decent buy for the gun. The extra mag and home made holster add nothing to the mix.
Unread 01-19-2018, 07:34 PM   #3
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wood View Post
A 1906 Commercial in 9mm. A bit rough but your hypothetical $900 would be a pretty decent buy for the gun. The extra mag and home made holster add nothing to the mix.
After about 6 years of studying a Luger U, my skills at zeroing in on a good price, for whatever, seem to have passed this test, so thanks for the validation, Ron. I did ignore the improper mag and the holster. The latter reminds me of the "tanker" holsters we see on eBay...

I have a feeling this pistol would clean up to look much better. An affordable starter/place-holder for a collection, I'd say... And if it turned out to be just too ugly after all, it could be shot!
Unread 01-20-2018, 01:22 PM   #4
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

I think it will clean up a little too, hope so since I bought it.
One can't just "ignore" a magazine, helps reduce the overall cost of the pistol; the holster is just interesting for sure.

I especially wanted this '06 serial 42,678 , as I have a slightly earlier '08 # 42432! Pictures below of these.

I hope this post didn't cost me too much, as with the bad description it was a little "under the radar".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	29_1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	70708  

Click image for larger version

Name:	pix608391987.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	70709  

The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 01-21-2018, 01:09 AM   #5
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
I think it will clean up a little too, hope so since I bought it.
Congrats Don! Would you have chosen to top my hypothetical bid, if I'd made it?

Quote:
One can't just "ignore" a magazine, helps reduce the overall cost of the pistol; the holster is just interesting for sure.
Not quite what I meant, I should have been clearer.... I should have said 'for bidding purposes'... because a mag's extra value I rationalize as compensation for the BP, which in this case is actually not too bad. The one important to me was the proper commercial, but man, it's rusty. It made me suspect that the pistol's mag well may have suffered a similar fate. I look forward to your post after it arrives, for the juicy details not evident in the listing, etc.

Quote:
I hope this post didn't cost me too much, as with the bad description it was a little "under the radar".
Sorry if I perpetrated a spoiler... but I think its inaccurate listing may have helped this one slide your way. I think you did great!

BTW, there are anther couple of guns in this variation coming up on the online block soon. I want to ask about one of them, but will wait until the auction is over, even though I'm not betting on any of these horses!
Unread 01-21-2018, 09:50 AM   #6
DonVoigt
User

Thanks Dave.
I'll be sure to post when I have it.
New or more correctly a new auction house for me- we'll see how their customer service is.

To your bidding question, I would never disclose my bidding strategy! It is tough enough to sneak a deal in between the dedicated collectors, like you, that peruse nearly all auctions! And then you have to compete with the small and large "luger dealers".

I find it near impossible to buy a bargain at one of the big auctions in the North East, where several dealers show up and buy "stock" for resale.

One never knows how many of "us" were watching or bidding on this particular luger - so your post may or may not have had any impact on this auction; but thanks for the sentiment.

You probably remember I have posted several times that I personally don't believe current or open auctions should be discussed on the board; lots of folks don't agree. I can see the point when a piece is a fake or has a serious flaw - so I'm wishy washy. And if someone posts a piece I like but missed, you can be sure I will take advantage of the new info.

Sounds like that old saying-
All's fair in love and war; until it is your ox that is being gored! or something like that.
Unread 01-21-2018, 11:01 AM   #7
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
...All's fair in love and war; until it is your ox that is being gored! or something like that.
The Master of mixed metaphors! I like it!
Unread 01-27-2018, 09:17 PM   #8
DonVoigt
User

Pistol arrived and cleaned up- see it in :

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthre...004#post313004