LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 10-13-2003, 07:39 PM   #1
tdicken
New User

Post Cole Dist . russian capture Lugers

Just ordered one 799.00 ; Cole has a good rep ; they have sent me very nice P-38's . Luger is rated excellent . Your comments would be appreciated . Be honest ; I can take it. Thanks.
tdicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2003, 08:55 AM   #2
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

TD, I agree that Gary Cole is a nice guy to do business with, but $800 for a force matched Russian reworked dipped PO8, seems to me to be too much. But since they seem to have the last batch of these imports left, they can name their own prices. TH
Unread 10-14-2003, 01:13 PM   #3
saxman
User

I wonder if that 'mother lode' in the Ukraine will ever be imported? A few thousand Lugers ought to drop prices a tad.
Unread 10-15-2003, 09:15 AM   #4
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I'm reasonably sure that all of the Ukranian lot has been sold. Cole is just importing some of these that were sold to German dealers. TH
Unread 10-21-2003, 07:31 PM   #5
Robert W. Simms
User

Even though Dwight Gruber disagrees with me, I still say that $600 is pretty much the lower threshold for a nice "shooter". The cheapest shooter that I have seen in two years sold yesterday on Auction Arms for $454.00. This was a thoroughly mismatched DWM, buffed and re-blued, with aftermarket replacement barrel & magazine, repro grips, and import stamp. That's a lot of negatives, even though the seller stated that it functioned well. The gun would probably rate NRA Very Good, condition-wise. I think the various on-line firearms auction brokers have re-established the lower end for all firearms in general. There are enough people out there with auction fever that dealers & individuals are getting more for their guns than ever before, but that has established a new de-facto value for the firearms market as a whole. If the Luger Tdicken bought is indeed NRA Excellent, then my bet is that someone else would have paid $800 for if he had not bought it. In my mind that makes it an $800 Luger. I mean, if enough people are routinely paying asking price then isn't that an accurate reflection of an item's true value?
Robert W. Simms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2003, 08:18 PM   #6
PACKET
User

Hm, I guess I better buy that 85% all matching DWM commercial, .30 cal I saw the other day for $550.00.
PACKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2003, 09:43 PM   #7
livingthepast
User

I just find it hard to believe $799 for an rc? Aren't they forced match at best? Even if they are in outstanding condition? From what I've learned on this forum, condition, condition, condition always outweighs availability. I've also heard talk that the russians have more of them but want an arm and a leg for them because they are watching the prices over here.

Brian
livingthepast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2003, 09:58 PM   #8
PACKET
User

"I've also heard talk that the russians have more of them but want an arm and a leg for them because they are watching the prices over here."

Look on the brite side, at least they're learning all about capitalism.
PACKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2003, 12:37 AM   #9
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,677 Times in 551 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by livingthepast:
<strong>I just find it hard to believe $799 for an rc? Aren't they forced match at best? Brian</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Not always. I have a 1937 S/42 that is almost certainly a Russian capture that has been dip blued. The period-correct type-4 unnumbered magazine is from a few years later and the grips are from a few years newer Mauser and unnumbered but have an E/655 stamp on one grip. Otherwise it's 100% matching including the firing pin, axel pin and hold open. There's not a forced-match part on it anywhere.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2003, 06:17 AM   #10
Marvin
User

Hello All,

I have one import marked Luger that I bought about 2 years ago. It is a Russian capture "K" Date, second variation, that was reworked by the East German government by adding a new barrel. Other than the barrel, all parts are matching. The pistol was not buffed or otherwise changed and a little better quality dip blue that the Russians gave them. I paid $900 for it and glad I did!

I may be wrong, but I think in the future, the East German reworks will be a variation of their own. Also, the Russian reworks may be a variation too! Remember when the Weimar reworks were not wanted by collectors because they had been reworked by the Armouries? Now they do have a following for some collectors. The prices of these historic pistols may never reach the original psitols, but they should never go down in value. Just my opinion.

Marvin
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2003, 06:15 PM   #11
lcastle1969
New User

I have a p.38 lugar wwII its authintic officiers pistol 2 clips need to insure was taken by grand father in wwII so its real how do i find out value???????
lcastle1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2003, 06:55 PM   #12
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,090 Posts
If it is a P38, then you can go to www.p38forum.com

Can you give more correct details?

Such as P38, and in 9mm LUGER, dates, markings, etc.?

It also might be easier to start another thread, instead of piggybacking here.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2003, 08:29 PM   #13
Herb
User

Well, I guess I might as well put in my .02 here. I feel that the price is way too high for a shooter. I also disagree that the low end for a shooter is $600. A couple of months ago I bought two Lugers from an internet site where individuals can post firearms for sale. I got a byf 42 and a 39/42 both in very good condition but each did have 1 part not numbered, one a rear toggle pin the other was the holdopen. Pain $900 for both. Prior to that I bought a byf 41 in excellent condition, all matching with the proper unnumbered near mint FXO mag plus a very nice 1939 Carl Ackva holster all for $550. Last month I had the opportunity to buy, from a private party, a 1900 model for $700 but it had been refinished and had been buffed pretty heavily, I passed on that one. During the last Lugerfest at Ralph Shattucks house I bought an all matching, less mag, 1918 DWM in very good condition for $850. Awhile ago I just missed one for $350. My point here is that they are out there for much less than $799 but you are going to have to dig them out, do a little work and it usually pays off. Just for chuckels contact Ralph Shattuck email RALPH@WorldofLugers.com and ask him how much his lowest priced shooter is, if he currently has one (or more) in stock I'll bet it's less than $799, tell him I referred you if you want, and no I don't get a commission for referring anyone to him.
Unread 10-24-2003, 09:47 AM   #14
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

$800 is probably pretty close to the individual parts value to a luger if the parts hadn't been renumbered and reblued, like the Cole lugers. I agree that with a little effort you can find unreblued mismatched shooters for less. Where do you think most of my parts come from? TH