LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 12-26-2002, 03:21 PM   #1
ASO544
New User

Post DWM Luger ?????

I just received a decent shape(90% guessing) DWM Luger from my late grandfather. I really have no knowledge about Lugers so I would like to ask your opinion on what I have.

It has "DWM" scripted across the charging mechanism with no other marks on the top area of the firearm(barrel to rear sight). It has all matching numbers(14xx) with a small case "k" or "h" under it. The serial numbers are located on the front of the frame and the under side of the barrel. There is also a small "Germany" on the front side of the frame as well. The last two digits of the serial number are also on all the smaller parts, and there is a "N" with a crown on top of it located on the left side of the pistol right at the chamber area and on the left side of the charging mechanism. The extractor has a german word(U/K) on the left side and the saftey has "GESICHERT" stamped in the upper postion. The grips are dark, smooth, and glossy. It also looks to have a place where a stock could be mounted located on the bottom portion of the backstrap. The mag looks to be chrome plated with "Made in Germany" on its backside and what looks to be "erma" in a circle above it. It has a short 3" barrel (from the tip of the barrel to the frame)and I have no idea of what caliber it is!!!

Any help telling me what I have and a possible value(if any) would be great.

Thanks for any and all help/info
ASO544
ASO544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2002, 04:44 PM   #2
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,614 Times in 525 Posts
It sounds like a post-WW1 commercial DWM Luger, referred to by Jan Still (author of numerous Luger books) as an "Alphabet Luger" because it was made in the commercial style but serialed with a suffix letter (your "h" or "k") as were military pistols. The chambering is likely 7.65mm or .30 caliber. The 7.65mm cartridge is a bottleneck design.

The proofs (Crown over N) are commercial. The lack of a chamber date indicates commercial and the word "GERMANY" indicates manufacture for sale abroad... usually to an English-speaking country. Look on the UNDERSIDE of the side plate and locking bolt (take-down lever) and see if the last two digits of the serial number are there... that's how commercial Lugers are marked.

Barrel length is measured from the muzzle to the breechface with the action closed. You can measure it by inserting a pencil, eraser first, into the bore of an UNLOADED pistol and measure the length of the pencil to the muzzle..... it's likely to be 98mm or approximately 3 7/8 inches.

The grips are replacements. Original grips are checkered walnut on these models. The mag may or may not be original to the gun but likely dates to the time period so could be the one that came with the pistol from the factory. I'm not certain about that though.

"GESICHERT" is German for "Safe". The extractor marking should be "GELADEN" or "Loaded".

Value is difficult to determine without actually seeing the pistol but I'd place it at $450 - $600 as a ball park range.

These are very good shooters and the most common of all Lugers, imported by the thousands after WW1. They are normally VERY accurate and I've owned a few.... all reliable and accurate. I currently have only one.... a reworked ERFURT military pistol.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote