LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 05-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #21
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle View Post
I really won't have much use for the reamer once I'm done, so if you have time to wait I'll just send it to you. I might even send it to you when I get it, so you can try first.
Sounds good to me! Let me know how it works for you!
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #22
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

In preparation for reaming out my tailstock , I leveled my 3in1 machine. Took about 45 minutes. I was surprised how much it was out of whack. About 1/8" drop in length and a slight twist to the ways. It's bolted to a steel desk with adjustable 'feet'. I used the 'feet' to level it. I'm thinking of maybe gluing a pair of spirit levels to the frame so I can see at a glance if the level has changed. My area of the country has severe Winters and short Summers. Ground upheaval is a real problem, especially with tree roots. Keeping an eye on my 3in1's level sounds like a good idea...Or I could just check it periodically with my machinists level on the ways...

Alternately, I could place a marble on the table and see if it rolls off...

Next I took my tailstock apart and cleaned it thoroughly. Draw filed the flats to eliminate any burrs; chamfered all holes. Greased & re-assembled. I used two ground steel .348" rods to align the lathe spindle and the tailstock chuck, for a rough zero. It's pretty close, maybe a half to a thousandth off. Hopefully, the reaming will take care of that. The tailstock barrel is not hardened.

Also thinking of upgrading to a pair of Baldor 3/4hp motors and get rid of the cheap Chinese motors...Replacing capacitors on the Chinese motors is a recurring problem...
Unread 05-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #23
Olle
User

So how is the project going? I received my reamer the other day, but I need to finish up my backup plan first. I have a good spindle but with a different thread, so I'm making a new screw to fit this first. If the reaming goes wrong, I'll have another spindle to use.

I sure don't know why this happens to me all the time, but it seems like each and every one of my projects takes on its own life and grows out of proportion. But buying a new spindle is out of the question. Can't let the machine win.
Olle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #24
Olle
User

Great success!

I got a screw made for the spare tailstock spindle, so now when I had a backup available I decided to go ahead.

Armed with my $20 reamer from eBay and a few beers, I started out by turning a long test bar to see if the tailstock was centered. To get the best possible accuracy, I used the spare spindle. After some minor adjustments I was down to .0005 difference, which translates to a .00025 offset. Just about as good as you can get it.

With that done, I stuck the reamer in the chuck, stuck a live center in the end to make sure it was straight in the chuck, and tightened it up real good. I installed the old spindle and was ready to go... or so I thought. The spindle is a short MT2 and the reamer bottomed out, so my initial plan to use the screw to feed it went down the drain right there.

After another beer I decided to simply pull the spindle out until the reamer cleared, lock it with the spindle lock screw and then push the whole tailstock assembly toward the reamer. It kinda worked but it wouldn't cut, and after checking the reamer I found that it was dull. After some bad language and yet another beer, I started stoning the reamer. It didn't need very much, and after 15 minutes of stoning it was cutting like it should. I used plenty of cutting oil and went slowly, reaming, cleaning and reaming again, and after the 10th pass or so it looked really nice. I checked it by inserting an MT2 shank, and it stuck in place just like it should.

I cleaned, lubed, reinstalled and now it was time for the moment of truth: I put the test bar in the chuck, centered it on the live center, put a test indicator on the bar and read the same .0005 as before the operation! This means that the reaming was a success, despite using a pretty crude method and hand stoning the reamer. I celebrated this by having a beer, and I think I'll have another one after posting this!
Unread 05-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #25
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Great success!
Yay!!!

Quote:
After another beer I decided to simply pull the spindle out until the reamer cleared, lock it with the spindle lock screw and then push the whole tailstock assembly toward the reamer.
My tailstock rides on two flat ways, with the locking ways (the ^ shaped ones) underneath...If the ^ ways were on top, gravity would center the tailstock even with the lock unlocked...But since the flat ones are on top, that won't work...

Quote:
I started stoning the reamer. It didn't need very much, and after 15 minutes of stoning it was cutting like it should. I used plenty of cutting oil and went slowly, reaming, cleaning and reaming again, and after the 10th pass or so it looked really nice. I checked it by inserting an MT2 shank, and it stuck in place just like it should.
I've never done any stoning/sharpening myself; there is a sharpening service nearby but they are $$$...

Quote:
I celebrated this by having a beer, and I think I'll have another one after posting this!
To the victor go the spoils...
Unread 05-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #26
Olle
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by postino View Post
My tailstock rides on two flat ways, with the locking ways (the ^ shaped ones) underneath...If the ^ ways were on top, gravity would center the tailstock even with the lock unlocked...But since the flat ones are on top, that won't work...
That's a weird setup... My ways are on top, so pushing the tailstock down/forward held it centered. As a matter of fact, it felt like the reamer actually centered itself once I got that far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by postino View Post
I've never done any stoning/sharpening myself; there is a sharpening service nearby but they are $$$...
Stoning is not all that difficult, you just have to make sure that you hold the stone exactly flat with the surface. You also have to resist the temptation to tilt the stone to make it cut quicker. Stoning is one of those zen things, you just stone away for however long it takes to get that perfect edge, while your mind wanders off, thinking about that perfect cut you're gonna make once the tool is sharp. In reality you'll stone until you get sick of it, then you say "screw this" and get on with it.
Unread 05-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #27
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
That's a weird setup... My ways are on top, so pushing the tailstock down/forward held it centered. As a matter of fact, it felt like the reamer actually centered itself once I got that far.
It's a cheap setup...But it's what I got...

Flat on top and angled at the sides...It has to be clamped to be centered...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tail1.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	33817  

Click image for larger version

Name:	tail2.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	33818