LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 09-19-2007, 10:28 AM   #1
paolo.orange
User

Default Malfunction/remedies database

I think that it would be a good idea to have a thread in our forum with the list of malfunctions and the relevant remedies that have demonstrated to improve the reliability of our old ladies.

I begin first with my Mauser 1938 that gave me very hard time at the beginning:

failure to **** the firing pin â?? chamfer the sear piston (see also the thread "Cocking problem")
failure to feed â?? Wolf stiffer magazine spring and MecGar magazines, lighter main spring, proper AOL, polished feed ramp
failure to eject (stove pipe) â?? LugerDoc's extractor spring, ejector properly bent, lighter main spring
failure to lock open - Wolf stiffer magazine spring and MecGar magazine
breach locked open with cartridges in the mag â?? stiffer hold open spring

Just my 0.02 Euro
Unread 12-17-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
wlw4281
New User

Talking Magazine Failure

I shot the Luger 908 first time today and the following observations and experiences.
1. Store bought Winchester ammo and my reloads are tough to fit more than one round in the magazine. Is this normal? It seems you must load the rounds at a severe angle to fit more than the first into the magazine. Is this normal?
2. Shot fine with one round in magazine.
3. Loaded what I thought, was new MEC-GAR magazine and had a catastrophic magazine failure after about 3 rounds. The bottom of the magazine blew off. All I had left was a spring and shell of magazine, (See Attached pictures).
Have you ever had this type of failure? I have not. Could it be the pistol did not fully go to battery and still fire? This might have caused the extreme pressure to blow out the plastic magazine bottom, either that or magazine was faulty. Let me know your thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MEC-GAR Magazine fail 1.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	3772  

Click image for larger version

Name:	MEC-GAR Magazine fail 2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	3773  

wlw4281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2008, 05:56 PM   #3
policeluger
RIP

I this happen to me just a few months ago with a Rem. 597, .17cal.....the gun did not go full battery, and does not need to, to fire. The factorg mag was damaged just as this one is. But you should have seen/felt the case rupture in your Luger, did yoy find case fragments, was there damaga to the toggle ?...I would look for a stuck firing pin, lack of firing pin spring, enlaged firing pin hole....let us know
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 11:13 PM   #4
rollin59
User

I was at the range last weekend and a guy with a 1918 DWM had this happen to him on a MecGar. I let him borrow my extra MecGar mag and it came back in one piece. It did not occur to me the gun itself may have caused this!