LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 02-15-2002, 10:56 AM   #1
Chuck Shoun
User

Default Impact marks (Long)

�¿I have a 1938 Mauser (4 inch barrel) that is a Russian import through Germany. Itâ??s a shooter,

numbers on trigger cover plate and connecting pin between rear link and receiver were

â??remarkedâ? with an etching pen. Thatâ??s OK, I knew I was buying a shooter â?? thatâ??s what I

wanted. From firing, the extension at the back of the rear link of the toggle strikes the back of the

frame hard enough to remove the blueing. I have been shooting commercial 115 grain and 124

grain loads in it, hand loads using Rainier 124 grain TCJ bullets at a MV of 1,100 fps, and 115

grain Meister Cast RN at a MV of 1,113 fps. Most of the rounds through the pistol have been the

124 grain Rainier TCJ loads. I expect that the purpose of the extension at the back of the rear

toggle is to stop the toggleâ??s rearward movement, but I am concerned whether Iâ??m shooting loads

that are too hot, or maybe if the recoil spring might be too weak. I would appreciate your

comments on the impact marks â?? are they a normal thing in P-08 pistols, or do I need to change

something â?? loads or recoil spring, or something else?

Unread 02-15-2002, 11:58 AM   #2
Chuck Shoun
User

Default Re: Impact marks (Long)

I forgot to include rounds fired. Total: 206; 153 124 grain TCJ, 40 115 FMJ Commercial, 13 115 Grain Meister RN cast.

Unread 02-15-2002, 12:18 PM   #3
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

It is supposed to hit there, but not to hard. With the mv you have, I would think you are fine.

Lonnie

Unread 02-15-2002, 12:49 PM   #4
BCC

I cain't speak to the ammo loads. I use a variety of factory loads, mostly 115gr but some 124gr....never chronographed it, but it "feels" like it is in the reasonable limits, (my hands are calibrated!). I have always used the amount of blue wear and metal scoring in this area to judge the amount of firing a Luger has seen...I realize the "hottness" of the ammo also plays a big part in this as well. I would recommend as a matter of course that any shooter Luger have a recoil spring replacement (I use the Wolff factory spec in my shooter). I feel that after 60-85 years most Luger recoil spring are not still at the original spec although many may still be acceptable and very close. I might add that since I replaced my shooter's recoil spring, I have noticed a reduction in the degree of the toggle strick back againist the frame.

Unread 02-15-2002, 04:02 PM   #5
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default The Russian dip blue may be wearing off easily to reveal

the worn surface underneath. I don't think it is anything to worry about myself. YMMV.

-John

Unread 02-15-2002, 04:26 PM   #6
Chuck Shoun
User

Thanks, guys for your advice. I took a really close look at the wear, and it appears as John says. There's no depression in the frame, and the tang on the rear toggle shows no evidence of the impact. So, I'll continue to shoot my pistol and keep an eye on the area.

Unread 02-15-2002, 05:00 PM   #7
Orv Reichert
RIP

Default YMMV. ....? (EOM)

Unread 02-20-2002, 02:49 PM   #8
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Sorry Orv, Your Milage May Vary :D (EOM)