LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Gun Show Announcements & Discussion

Unread 06-14-2004, 02:58 AM   #1
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts
Post Portland Gun Show Report--June

The gun show in Portland this weekend was a shocking event. The Portland Expo show, historically regarded as one of the better thousand-table shows in the country, has fallen on desperate times. Banishment of the beef-jerky-and-beany-baby contingent reveals just how many of the tables have been dedicated to non-firearm interests of late, and widening the aisles has not disguised the fact that fully a quarter fo the tables that were left were unfilled; and a double-handful of table-holders I have seen here for the last two years--many of them sellers of interesting guns, and one major bookseller--were not around.

There were any number of rationializations as to why this occurred, ranging from this being the Rose Festival weekend in Portland, to there being too many of these shows during the year, to the results of the recent BATF sting operations. Regardless of the reasons, the view in the hall was that the prognosis for this major show is not good.

That being said, there were not many Lugers at this show, either.

One table with a 1916 DWM in respectable shape for $650, a 1918 DWM reblue for $550, and a reblued 1938 S/42 (with strawed small parts) for $750.

But the most interesting guns on this table were sold before the doors even opened--a Vickers and a 1912 DWM for $1.4k for the pair! I was disappointed not to have the opportunity to pick them up; but the table holder told me that the 1912 was nice, but the Vickers was a buffed'n'blued piece, not very good.

I had an opportunity to examine the Vickers today, it is indeed a polished and deep black salt blue rebarrel, but it turns out to be an old John Martz refinish, complete with JVM stamped on the frame under the sideplate and the original work receipt.

A 1918 Erfurt upper/DWM lower mismatch, $500.

An Alphabet Commercial with GERMANY stamped on the toggle in place of DWM, $1.050. This gun is being discussed in the the Commercial Luger forum, the short version of the story is that the piece is bogus.

And that, folks, is basically that.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2004, 10:02 AM   #2
Scott H.
User

I went to the Portland Gun Show early Sunday morning. I was walking up and down the aisles as the dealers were uncovering their tables. I could not help but overhear the negative comments that many dealers made about the show. Most of the dealers felt that Friday and Saturday were a waste as they said attendance was low and they did not sell much. These dealers were not expecting anything better to happen on Sunday. I spent some time talking with one dealer that sells gun accessories. This dealer thought there were still too many "flea Market" items on many tables. I tend to agree. I found a great selection of flashlights, eyeglass cleaners, small animal figurines, knives, clocks, and printed tee shirts. The number of gun dealers and gun related dealers goes down with each show. I keeping hoping for this show to turn around and get better, but at this point I think the show will just disappear someday. Fifteen years ago this show was a full 1,000 to 1,200 tables. This last show was nowhere close to that size. What are the other shows doing differently that makes them grow and get better each year?
Scott H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2004, 11:31 AM   #3
blayne
User

Although most of us hate the beef jerky guys, feeling we should just have guns at the show, it is probably a mistake to kick them out. They provide revenue for the promoters, bring in 5% or so extra people for the odd things and keep these shows going!
blayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2004, 02:19 PM   #4
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I like the beef jerky guys, at least the one near me in Tulsa, as he gives free samples and his product is probably a better lunch than a $4 hot dog. I just got back from last weekend's NGD in Louisville. Lots of nice collectable, but as every where else, the nice stuff is not cheap. I did find some parts and bought a couple of $500 mismatches to part out. Lugerdoc
Unread 06-14-2004, 11:46 PM   #5
Steve Richards
User

I went Sunday morning and only saw one dealer with Lugers. On the other hand, I did see three Whitney Wolverines, each with a different finish that ran from about $500-$700. I bought an Astra 300. I have been wanting one to go with my 400 and 600.

9mm S&B ammo was down to $4.95 for a 50 round box and the same dealer had Winchester .30 cal for $24.95/50.
Steve Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2004, 10:01 AM   #6
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Since Winchester hasn't made 30 Luger in quite some time, it must be pretty old stock, but at least it is boxer primed for the reloaders. TH