LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 08-05-2001, 11:53 AM   #1
justin

Default .22 Stoeger Luger

i have a tricky little problem. when i was at the range, my .22 stoeger luger kept jamming up and not operating right. come to find out, dirt or something got in the action. how can i clean this out???

thanks,

justin

Unread 08-05-2001, 01:32 PM   #2
BILL
User

Default Re: .22 Stoeger Luger

Justin, first off..UNLOAD the pistol. Then get a .22 caliber cleaning kit from a sport shop or hardware store and carefully follow the instructions. It is not tricky once you get into it. Just a little messy and time consuming. It is worth it though. In no time you will be shooting bullseyes again. Just keep at it until the black grime is all on the patches and out of the gun. A little light oil aftewards and you will be good to go. I once had a 22 that was so dirty (about 1000 rounds) that it wouldn't fire at all. Good Luck and remember to double check that it is unloaded.

Unread 08-05-2001, 04:47 PM   #3
justin

bill,

thanks for the response! however, i found out i need to break the pistol down. but, i don't know how to do this with this particular luger. would you happen to know how to break it down?

this pistol needs a serious cleaning. it's my dad's old pistol, and it has been sitting for a while.

thanks again,

justin

Unread 08-05-2001, 07:06 PM   #4
BOB REGERS

the only moving parts are the toggle action as i do not break down my luger I througly clean inside the chamber. this means not just the barrel but the walls of the chamber, the extractor(the little thing that pulls the bullet out after firing)on top of the gun, the extractor seat at the top of the barrel where the extractor sits when the gun is closed, and... the rear of the chamber including the firing pin and ALL CORNERS and grooves. Do not REPEAT DO NOT SPRAY OIL IN THERE LIKE I DID ON MY STOEGER! I found out the oill collected beneath the chamber abd trapped carbon dirt forming a sludge inside. Ideally use foam swabs carefully inside with a gun cleaner. Cotton swabs if you are extra carefull to avoid foam or cotton remaining inside the gun. Heed this advice or you may want to simply bring the gun to a good gun smith have him beak it down and clean it thoroughly-maybe he can show you also as it is tricky--GOOD LUCK!

Unread 08-05-2001, 09:48 PM   #5
Albert Beliard

Default Using an Old Toothbrush

In addition to using Bob's advise, an old toothbrush with a light gun oil will help to loosen up the grime and dirt around the hard to get places.

http://imperialarms.home.att.net

Unread 08-06-2001, 08:43 AM   #6
tom h

Justin, Hopefully, your Stoeger 22 just needs a though cleaning and that you didn't dry fire it to dead, when you were a kid. When working in a gun shop years ago, we would regularly get in rimfire pistols and rifles that had been dryfired so much that the chamber had been malformed so much by the firing pin hitting it on one side, that the only solution was to ream the chamber.

Unread 08-07-2001, 11:56 AM   #7
justin

Default thanks!

thanks everyone for your responses. i'll take all that into consideration now.

justin