LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Announcements & Help > Site Announcements

Unread 07-06-2008, 05:33 PM   #1
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default Out for a week or two...

For Florida - then Haiti in a bit, and just wanted to say be good..

On this trip.....

On July 9 - we are dedicating a school in a little village for over 250 kids. We (you & Jen & I - and a whole village) built it in a village who had nothing. Not before. They do now. Pictures to follow.. It will be dedicated July 9th to Natalie L. Streather... We have a cornerstone to be inset - made in Haiti..

Project two?? I'll be visiting the technical training school - which the roof was poured on the 1st of July... It is still drying (it needs to dry for 20-30 days). This tech school is in the second project Project Rennwish.... See the attachment below... And after the roof dries? The skim coat, paint, electricity - and the opening of the school..

Three things before I go....

1) I am THRILLED that a fellow Rennlister (from Rennlist.com - one of my other sites) will be coming down on this trip.. I'll let them post before they leave or when they come back. They will see first hand all you have done. It's not an easy trip. It's not an easy country. It's not an easy thing we do, have done - and will continue to do...

2) I have a duffle bag (BIG ONE!) filled with soccer balls and beanie babies.. For the kids. How many kids? Over 1000.... It's my honor to pack them down - as they came from two of you - and two young gals "made it happen" (Mike Frye - give your gals a hug, OK??), again - from Rennlist....

3) While I'm away - please - try not to flame each other, OK???

My Best to all

John

And attached??? Here is the TECH SCHOOL.. First of 10....
Attached Images

John D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2008, 08:05 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

wonderful work John, we are proud of what y'all have done!
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2008, 09:25 AM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Hearing your progress reports John makes living with your extended absenteeism bearable. Keep up the great work...

God Bless!

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2008, 10:13 AM   #4
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

John, Really an labor of LOVE. You and Jen take care of yourselves so you can continue on. God knows those people need some help.

One trip to Haiti and you would thank your lucky stars you have someplace to come back to!

Good Luck!
Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2008, 04:51 PM   #5
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Hi all..

I guess I'm just going to write this post/thread as a "train of jumbled thoughts", since - every time I return from a trip like this, I find the words difficult to come by? So - maybe it's better, rather than attempting to do all in one post/thread, I'll try to do one "event" at a time?

For that - there are bunches of pics for this threadâ?¦ And, in the next few days, Pat (from my Porsche website) and I will try to post others - similar, but yet different from the other events (certificates, soccer balls, Espwa, Technical School, etc.)? Same trip, yes. Different projects, events and people. You folks are doing - or rather "have done" so much for these projects in Haiti - you can not imagineâ?¦

For that - I know Patrick can imagine. He was there, in Haiti - seeing first hand all you have done. I am in his debt and he has my respect. Few - if any - would dare to go to Haiti. Patrick did. And for that, I think he saw a part of this world many can't imagine exists nor believe might exist as we go to our safe houses in our nice neighborhoods, and children - by the dozens - don't call out to you asking for food, or money, or note the color of your skin.

To Patrick: I respect youâ?¦ And you have my thanksâ?¦ More than you may knowâ?¦

Anyway - here is the first topic from the trip - dedicating a school in a remote and impoverished village in Haiti. This school is the first the village has ever had. Children from that village are usually sent out to other schools, or sent to relatives outside, or sold off or.. Well - whatever. The school was dedicated on July 11th - but it was really dedicated the day the entire village came out to build "their school". We didn't "build it". Money didn't build itâ?¦ That little village built it for Pastor Vilnor, the children and themselves. The pictures to date on Rennwish told of their construction efforts, so now - I'll try to tell the rest of the storyâ?¦

About two months ago - there was nothing.

Today?

Here is their storyâ?¦.. Or rather your storyâ?¦.

Adrien and Pastor Vilnor hold up the plaque dedicated to the memory of Natalie L. Streather - to which this school is dedicated. Next September, there will be over 250 children enrolled, and this plaque will hang in the admission/administrative office. It was hand carved by a local artist for this event. It is wonderful. The words are from both Gail & Adrian Streather, and Pastor Vilnor:

And a close up:

Pastor Vilnor, Pat and I (and a few others? ) read the plaque for the first time..

The front of the school - where some final paint, walls, blocks are set a day or two before the dedication:

And a few workers.. This is their school - and they are proud...

This was taken in the Admin office (at the front). Yes, there is a bathroom. Yes - there are actual tiles. Yes - there will be running water and flushing toilets. Yes - they are proud of that as well:

I really need to explain this picture.. The woman in the picture has lived in the village all her life. In my previous pictures - SHE IS THE OLD WOMAN WHO WAS CARRYING THE BLOCKS.. When she saw me - she walked over, and while weeping - gave me a huge hug and simply went on with her thanks. You folks - who have supported this effort - have her sincerest thanks.. Forever... She is a wonderful village matriarch who never imagined... But - for all of you - she is alive to see the day her village was changed. That's to your credit and to hers...

Friday - the day of the dedication.... I was a little "detained" - so this pic is from my Mom... The ceremony itself? While I was speaking (which was also broadcast over Haitian national radio - who would have guessed?) a few hundred attendees. The dedication lasted the entire day - and there were a thousand or so through the day? I dunno...

And some of the attendees:

And villagers who built their school:

And the crowd in the church for one of the dedications:

And outside the church - which is...

Why we just do this:

Thanks for reading...

John
Unread 07-18-2008, 08:42 PM   #6
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Wonderful John, just wonderful. While you were away there was a ABC story on haiti and how tough it is there, they briefly showed a front of a orphanage and I wondered if in the wild chance it was y'alls

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2008, 10:58 PM   #7
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Darn PROUD to know you John D.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
Unread 07-20-2008, 04:55 PM   #8
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Hey Ed & John..!

My sincerest thanks.. But you know what? I just "do what I do.."? In that - that's all there is.. I'm blessed to have folks like you in this forum - so my thanks right back at you...

As well..? Ed - now that I'm back - can you please e-mail me your address for a FEDEX package? I'll send it tomorrow with the repaired breech block, check, tool, grips, etc..??

My best to all,

John
Unread 07-27-2008, 09:11 PM   #9
larry
User

John D.

Many thanks to you and others who give of their time and money to support such wonderful work to make this a better world.

God bless you and all your fellow workers,
larry
larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2008, 02:41 PM   #10
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Larry, I received your private message but I cannot respond.

You do not have your profile set up to receive private messages, and I do not have your email address... please send me your email address via Private Message.

Thanks,

John Sabato