LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 06-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #21
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default polish...

Hi ollie, I agree, polish and springs could make the most dramatic improvement, with out sacrificing safety... Any time you start grinding.. well, let's just say, A lot of other things have to be right first... ... Best to all, til...lat'r...GT

Last edited by G.T.; 06-14-2011 at 08:42 PM.
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #22
SIGP2101
User

Just by polishing areas indicated in red to a mirror shine (without changing geometry) Luger trigger action can be improved significantly. (DO NOT USE DREMEL FOR THIS)

Second part would be to install travel adjustment screws. This can be done on trigger itself or sear bar. There are multiple locations for this.

Third step in improving Luger trigger feel is to eliminate wobble completely from the plunger. Maybe required to built entire new and longer plunger. Longer means it will have to be seated deeper in new drilled hole.

Anyone can accomplish first step and immediately benefit greatly improved trigger.
Attached Images

SIGP2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to SIGP2101 for your post:
Unread 06-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #23
luscioman
User

I have found that changing the springs have proved to work out very well for me. The cost is not very high and you can easily change them back or mis-match them to what you like. I had a BYF-42 with pull that was too light that came out very nice with Wolff springs. I only have one shooter that is causing me an issue at this point.
luscioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 01:44 AM   #24
Michael Zeleny
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

As measured with the Lyman electronic trigger gauge, averaged over 10 pulls:
Swiss 06/1929 SN 71644: 3.80kg
Swiss 06/1929 SN 77493: 2.57kg
Swiss 06/1929 National Match SN 59951: 2.64kg
Swiss 06/1929 National Match SN 65721: 2.15kg
Unread 07-21-2011, 06:15 PM   #25
TennBill2
RIP

Default Data

Thanks, Michael for posting the data. Couple weeks ago, Olle came to my place and 'shot' my Borchardt replica....with only a primered shell. He described it as a 'light pull'. We didn't get around to using his gauge to actually measure the pull. perhaps another day we'll meaure my Lugers, etc. and I'll post the results. I like the feel of a light pull, why, too, I like set triggers! I think I'm less likely to pull the weapon off target then when firing with a heavy trigger. Bill
TennBill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 07:47 PM   #26
Olle
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennBill2 View Post
Thanks, Michael for posting the data. Couple weeks ago, Olle came to my place and 'shot' my Borchardt replica....with only a primered shell. He described it as a 'light pull'. We didn't get around to using his gauge to actually measure the pull. perhaps another day we'll meaure my Lugers, etc. and I'll post the results. I like the feel of a light pull, why, too, I like set triggers! I think I'm less likely to pull the weapon off target then when firing with a heavy trigger. Bill
Yep, I actually had the honor to fire it a couple of weeks ago and the trigger is sweet! It's always difficult to "finger gauge" a slick trigger, but it felt like 3 lbs, maybe lighter. We'll check it next time.
Olle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #27
HisSoldier
User

My new to me alphabet Luger came to me almost unfired, just a tiny evidence where the toggle stop hit a few times. The trigger, using a snap cap and an actual weight setup (I learned to not trust the electronic scales, a shame because they are so easy to use. ) came out at 4.5 lbs. Someone mentioned a sticky about trigger work but I can't find it. My Mauser built in the 70's has a 7.7 lb trigger! It's my only shooter so I need to fix that.
Also, I read the ebook's info on it.
One thing I noticed about the alphabet commercial, the plunger is a very close, wiggle free fit. I suppose I can just use it's surfaces as a sample for the 70's P-08.
Can anyone tell me if they have used the Power Custom fixture effectively for any of this? Thanks,
Unread 11-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #28
HisSoldier
User

I found a sticky "Cocking problem?", that must be it.
Unread 11-05-2011, 06:55 PM   #29
Michael Zeleny
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

The official Swiss military trigger tuning procedure eliminated slack by adjusting the angle of an annealed trigger linkage lever with a special tool, heat-treating it afterwards. I have the tool, but not the instructions for its use. Note that, unlike its predecessors, the P06/29 exposes its trigger linkage via a cut in the sideplate. The Swiss Luger armorer's manual also contains instructions on stoning the sear for optimal engagement. My National Match W+F 06/29 Lugers appear to have been tuned accordingly.
Unread 12-12-2011, 04:18 PM   #30
Lewis Fifer
User

(what is a good trigger pull) One that goes bang when you pull it. Old Blue
Lewis Fifer is offline   Reply With Quote