LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 01-05-2004, 11:17 PM   #1
CG of MP
User

Post Info On Markings - 1914 Dated Luger

Greetings folks,

Well after my illustrious state decides (AGAIN) in 8 days that I am not a threat to society it looks like I will own my first Luger!

It is a 9mm 1914 dated shooter. While it is not in perfect condition it will serve the functions I wanted it to and it compliments my model 1911 (made in 1918) very nicely... they are in relatively the same condition and are from the same era.

In any event, I got to handle the Luger on Saturday when I did the paperwork and I took a couple of photos at that time. Using a camera I was not familiar with was not a way to get pristine photos, but what the heck.

I was wondering if anyone could help tell me about these markings and exactly what they tell me about the firearm.

I am still crawling over this site looking for an exact match but have not yet seen anything that matches the above perfectly.

Thanks for all the input from prior posts.

Charles
CG of MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2004, 12:16 AM   #2
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,149 Times in 1,694 Posts
Charles,
You won't necessarily find an exact match on this site. There are many different variations of inspector marks on DWM Lugers. The marks on your 1914 are one of the variations. Each individual crown over gothic letter is an inspectors mark, the eagle is a DWM military acceptance proof. This exact marking on your Luger is shown in "World of Lugers - Proof Marks" by Costanzo in the section for 1914 DWM receiver proofs on page 288.
Unread 01-06-2004, 12:32 AM   #3
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,290 Times in 426 Posts
Charles,

These marks are commonly, and somewhat incorrectly, known as proof marks.

In fact, the first three are inspector's marks, and the fourth is the power-proof.

P-08 were inspected continuously during their manufacture, and there are detailed regulations dealing with the practice. When you disassemble your Luger you will find any number of curious worker marks and letters which signify intermediate stages of examination.

The right receiver marks are the stamps of Army inspectors assigned to the factory to show that the gun has passed its final tests and is certified for Army acceptance. The different stamps are the "signature" of individual inspectors, who assume personal responsibility (and liability) for the aspects which they certify.

As there were many different inspectors, some of which may have rotated to other weapons manufacturers, you may not find this exact combination recorded anywhere. I do not know the identities of the individual inspectors represented (someone else may); also the specific documents detailing them may not have survived.

The leftmost mark is the first of the series applied, and certifies that the receiver has been hardened. The one on your Luger is a bit different from most. If I remember aright (and am subject to correction on this) the X under the crown is an "anonymous" mark, a stamp reserved for inspectors who have not yet been assigned, or received, their own personal stamp.

The next stamp certifies that the pistol is finished, and ready for power-proof and shooting-in.

At this juncture the pistol is subject to firing two overpressure proof rounds. After this firing the gun is inspected, and if it passes the rightmost stamp is applied. This is the power-proof stamp, and is the only mark properly called a "proof mark". You will also find this mark on the barrel and left side of the breechblock, indicating that these parts have passed power-proof as a unit.

The pistol then undergoes "break-in firing", where it is tested for function and accuracy by firing up to 10 rounds in controlled circumstances. Upon successful completion of this test the third stamp is applied (along with the bore diameter measurement, stamped under the barrel) and the pistol is officially accepted for military use.

The subject of Luger acceptance, inspecton, and marking is complex, and the foregoing description barely skims the surface. If you find yourself hankering for more detail, I recommend reading "German Small Arms Markings" by Joachim G�¶rtz and Don L. Bryans, 1997, Walsworth Publishing Co. This book goes into detail on this subject and unit markings, covering the period of 1910 through the end of WWII, and includes translations of many of the official German military regulations and instructions.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2004, 12:51 AM   #4
CG of MP
User

Thanks guys....

This information was quite helpful.

Most appreciated,
Charles
CG of MP is offline   Reply With Quote