LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 04-26-2003, 10:37 AM   #1
oldguy
User

Post minor pitting

What is the balance between removing pitting and leaving the origional machining marks.

I have some pitting under the grips. If it's re-blued over the pits will it continue to corrode?
oldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2003, 10:52 AM   #2
policeluger
RIP

Yes, if you do not remove the rust 100% it will continue too corrode, and the rust can make a mess of it as you are hot bluing it...been there, done that...as too the machining marks and proofs marks that may be polished out or a least over, well that is why an original condition Luger vs. re-blue/re-worked Luger there is such a difference in price and desirability...judge what you have and its value against what you will have once its been re-worked. You were not specific it what you have and what condition it is in, and pictures always help, but do not rush into re-bluing what may be a nice collectable gun....hope this helps.
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2003, 12:03 PM   #3
oldguy
User

Policeluger

Thanks for the advice.

Can the rust in the pits be stabilized or removed chemicly without grinding them off?

I have a 1939 S/42 which is relatively rare. It is in good mechanical condition but only has 5 to 10% of it's bluing left. It has a small area of pitting that's normally visable. I notice pitting under the edges of the grip also.

The re-bluing is for my enjoyment.
oldguy is offline   Reply With Quote