LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Announcements & Help > Site Technical Help or Site Feedback

Unread 10-29-2008, 09:36 AM   #1
goodwind
User

Default Requesting For Sale Information

Dear Forum Members,

Until I can produce some quality pictures, I was hoping that someone would be able to advise me on the sale value of my Luger based upon the following information.

First off, all the serial numbers match on the gun, except the magazine. The gun serial number is 3902 with all other numbers showing "02". Magazine is 3497. I believe the gun is a 36 Mauser based on site info. Top of barrell shows a "G" & "S/42". The side shows a "Eagle 63" twice plus a symbol beside them that resembles a cloud with rain falling in from it--any idea of this symbol. This symbol is also on the barrell. Barrell also shows a 8, 81 under the serial number. The condition in my mind is above very good and the grips require a cleaning, in which I intend on doing based upon your site recommendations. The metal looks to be a blackish blue finish with the blueing showing signs of wear only on the side where the removable part is. Any information you can share about this luger would be greatly appreciated along with an approximate value based solely upon the above information for starters. Thanks.
goodwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2008, 09:48 AM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Welcome, I moved your posting from Wanted to Buy to the help section.

Pictures are needed for valuation, even a guess.

It is a 1935 (G date), S/42 (mauser code)

The symbol you describe doesn't sound familar but I assume that it is the nazi eagle proofing marking.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2008, 09:52 AM   #3
Steinar
User

Perhaps you can compare it to one of these G dates? (but keep in mind it's 'dealer prices' )https://www.simpsonltd.com/index.php...277984eb09af8f
Unread 10-29-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
goodwind
User

Thanks to both replies. I find the site you referenced as resourcefull within decision making. I'll try my best to post som quality pictures soon.
Unread 10-29-2008, 09:45 PM   #5
MFC
User

A 1936 S/42 will have the date 1936 on the chamber. G date= 1935.
Mike C.
Unread 10-30-2008, 12:03 AM   #6
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

thanks Mike, I get that confused for some reason.

ed

Unread 10-31-2008, 11:49 AM   #7
goodwind
User

Default Photos to assist grade (blue/straw)

Dear Forum Experts,

Reference my desire to attach a value to my luger, do the attached photos give you any idea of the blue and straw percentage....I have no idea how lugers are evaluated for this percentage. Notice the side catch does contain the most wear. If anyone can assist in a diagnosis of the condition, I would like to place a value on it and sale it soon if you so can assist with this. These are the best photos I could attach at this moment. The above information is correct, therefore, I did not attempt to pic. the numbers. Thanks.

Darryl
Attached Images

Unread 10-31-2008, 12:41 PM   #8
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Darryl, it depends on if you want a fast sale or do you want a best price sale?

From the one picture, it looks fairly rough, and it might not be, but not only is the sideplate showing wear, but the barrel and left side. (if you have other pictures hosted at a site, I can not see them while at work)

Look on line, figure out how much you want from it, and offer it here on the forum (with a price, we aren't an auction, so a price is needed). If you want a true value in todays market, provide 5-8 pictures on gunbroker and offer it a 1 cent and no reserve...

This last year, I have sold 3 or 4 G dates, lowest amount was around $1200, a second one around $1500 and the highest about $2500 if I remember right, but it was a really, really nice one.

I guess best advice is, the higher your amount, the longer it will take to sell it.

Ed
Unread 11-01-2008, 07:22 AM   #9
goodwind
User

Thanks Ed. I'm most likely looking for a quick sale and not going to try and make a killing with it. The right side does look 100% better than the picture side. I'll create some better pictures before I list it for sale. Thanks for your advice...truly helpful. Darryl
Unread 11-01-2008, 07:24 AM   #10
goodwind
User

Ed,

Sorry--forgot something. What does offering at 1 cent at no reserve mean? Also, the one you sold for 1200...what condition did it possess. Thanks.

Darryl
Unread 11-01-2008, 09:28 AM   #11
Mauser720
User

goodwind -

The offering at "1 cent at no reserve" means that the minimum acceptable bid on your Luger in an auction is only one cent. It also means that there is no minimum acceptable price for your Luger to sell. The reserve price is supposed to be known only to the seller of the item. If you had a reserve of $1,000, then this would mean that if the bidding never gets to at least $1,000.00, then the pistol is not considered sold. The thing you want to be aware of is that if you start the bidding at a low amount like one cent, and you also have no reserve price, then your pistol will be considered sold regardless of how low the winning bid ends up being at the end of the auction. For example, if you started the bidding at only 1 cent and had no reserve, your pistol could be sold for as little as 2 cents. This is an exaggeration, but you get the idea. My suggestion would be to start the bidding high enough that you feel comfortable and also to establish a reserve price for it that seems reasonable to you. Based on what you have written and what the experts have told you, you might want to establish a reserve of $1,000 or $1,200, for example.

Hope this helps, and good luck with it. By the way, where are you thinking on listing it at auction, or were you planning on simply listing it for sale here on The Forum in the "For Sale" section? If you use our Forum, be aware that this is not an auction format.

Mauser720 - Ron
Mauser720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2008, 08:17 AM   #12
goodwind
User

Ron,

My intention was to list for a set price on the forum.....understand the "no auction" policy. Being unsure of the minimum asking price, I was soliciting a fair price from the experts, like yourself, within Luger Forum. I'm not trying to make the most of it, simply trying to sell it. Thanks.

Darryl
Unread 11-03-2008, 08:25 AM   #13
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Darryl, it is most likely worth the $1200 minimum; I tried sending you and email or PM, but aren't turned on.

I've give you a $1000 sight unseen (Its a chance for me to do okay, or possibly lose a bit of money), but gut feeling is like I said, it is worth $1200-$1400+. I have a C&R, so you could ship direct to me.

Your best best is to offer it here and with better pictures for a bit more

weimar_lugers@verizon.net

Ed

Unread 11-03-2008, 02:31 PM   #14
goodwind
User

Ed,

I think I turned the email notification on...if not, my address is "goodwin66@hotmail.com"--I would most likely seek $1200....not trying to make a huge profit....of course, since it was left to me, anything is profit. You answered one question by the C&R....did not realize so much special paperwork was needed to ship firearms....talked to USPS other day, and answer was no way.....unless a dealer or C&R was involved.....I don't even know what one is. If you would like, I could try and produce some better pictures.....the side you see on the picture is the worst side.....top and right side is nicely blued in my opinion. THanks for all your input......would you consider $1200 on sight with the option to return if you don't like it...or refund if desired....I'm 22 years retired from the military with ethics and discipline being top notch...I would do such if needed. Thanks. again.

Darryl
Unread 11-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #15
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

emailed you

Ed