LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 10-25-2001, 08:03 PM   #1
Tom B.
User

Default Ammo Questions

Everyone:

Thanks so much for the responses to my previous post. Now I have another concern/question. After studying the site here, I can say I am a shooter, not a collector. Now that it has become evident that the luger I have is 7.65mm, not 9mm, I am kind of disappointed, but I am not sure why, except for the fact that I already have plenty of 9mm for my other guns. Does it matter much? Should I be happy that it fires a less common round? or disappointed that it will probably cost me more to shoot? and are there any problems associated with this caliber that I need to know about?

Unread 10-25-2001, 08:24 PM   #2
BILL
User

Default Re: Ammo Questions

If you are a reloader you can find some really good deals on eBay in the Luger section (brass). If you aren't then the 'cheap' ammo is probably not going to be too plentiful. There are some folks that won't shoot the 7.65mm because of the cost. One thing you should know is the only difference between a 7.65mm Luger and a 9mm Luger is the barrel. (Not something you might want to do to a collector piece but acceptable for a shooter pistol).

Unread 10-25-2001, 08:32 PM   #3
Tom B.
User

Default Re: Ammo Questions

Bill:

So, if I wanted a 9mm, All I would have to do is have the barrel changed out?

What do you reckon this would cost? (Ballpark) and is this something a local gunsmith could do, or would I need to find someone who knows a lot about lugers?

I live deep in South Texas.....

Tom.

Unread 10-25-2001, 08:44 PM   #4
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default Don't Do It.. :) ..!!

OK - I am a confessed .30 Luger bigot as I happen to like the round a lot... but read on... I find it more accurate the the 9mm and have re-loaded for it quite a bit. Anyway - yes, "off the shelf" ammo is expensive, and yes folks at the range go "Huh - its a what caliber??!!" - but before you change it out - give it a try at the range.. I think you'll like that caliber

If you do want to change it out - find a good Luger person to do it for you (Thor - or maybe Hugh?).. You don't want someone you don't know to do it and risk bending the receiver...

Finally - maybe I just would like to see a Luger preserved it's original caliber - unless it's already been rebarrelled or is a mis-matched shooter to begin with (but yours doesn't - as folks have stated in the thread below..??).

But of course, that's only my opinion - and it's your Luger - so you need to do what you'd like to just enjoy shooting it..!!

Unread 10-25-2001, 09:01 PM   #5
Tom B.
User

Default Re: Don't Do It.. :) ..!!

John:

If I can borrow from 'Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy'... "Don't Panic"

I am not in any hurry to do anything to this luger, especially since it appears to be all matching. I am merely solicting opinions, so I will definately mark you down as against it.

I am more concerned with the what to do when the current/orginal barrel needs replacement. I am no expert, but after careful disassemby and cleaning, the gun looks much better than I thought it would, however, I do have a concern about the rifling... it appears worn but, I have no idea what it should look like.

Thanks for you input.

Tom

Unread 10-25-2001, 09:13 PM   #6
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default Thanks Tom..!!!

Tom Wrote: "...so I will definately mark you down as against it..."...

Yea - I guess I was kind of "opinionated" in my previous post.. Sorry about that.. Can I vote again?? "Don't do it!!" Now there are two votes "agin it"..!!!

Tom Wrote: "..I am more concerned with the what to do when the current/orginal barrel needs replacement...".

Hmm - that's a lot of shooting.. Seriously, I shoot a 1916 Luger (9 mm) which has little traces of any rifling left (its a non-matching Luger - which I should say before I catch flak from the folks ) and it still shoots great.. Anyway, I think accuracy is dependent on a lot of factors. But honestly, Tom - I'd rather buy/keep/collect a Luger with a shot out barrel which is still all matching - rather then a rebarrelled shooter. Yep, I know that's just me... Have you thought of buying a non-matched 9mm Luger shooter just to have fun with? Some are rather inexpensive - and still shoot great!!! (and you'd feel better for preserving a little piece of history, I might add...!! )

Anyway - I'll keep quiet on this thread now, since I've had my two votes ;^)

BTW: 'Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy' is a great book (Yep - I have an opinion on that as well ;^) )!!

Best to you Tom - and let us know what you decide..!!!

Unread 10-25-2001, 09:26 PM   #7
Aaron
Banned

Default Just Bore it Out to 9MM (EOM)

Unread 10-25-2001, 09:38 PM   #8
66mustang

Default Re: Just Bore it Out to 9MM

I like to shoot my Luger too and that is why I like the 9MM, but since yours is all matching, so I would be a bit hesitant to ream it out or bore it, or re-barrel it. I guess I would be tempted to get a shooter from Tom or Ralph or someone, I know that both have some nice shooters available. Plus Hugh or Tom or someone could easily throw a new barrel on her for you. Although if it is a true 75% blueing, it might not be much of a collector...

So, I understand the wanting to shoot your Luger, as I am anxiously awaiting my new 6 inch shooter.

Well, actually, it is me, I am out of town until next week and she'll be waiting for me at the gun shop!

Ed

Unread 10-25-2001, 10:28 PM   #9
Doug
User

Default Definitely don't do it!!!!

Either buy another upper cannon in 9mm or another shooter in 9mm. For what you'd spend on a rebarrel $150-$200 you could kick in a little more for a complete shooter @ $400 or so. I just got back from shooting my mis-match .30 and it is a blast! Little to no recoil and very accurate to boot. I just bought reloading dies and you can reload the ammo for about $8 a box. My .02

Unread 10-25-2001, 10:34 PM   #10
Art Buchanan

Default Re: Just Bore it Out to 9MM

I have cheap shooters . I have thrown on a lot of barrels and have more to throw. Redmons and others can rebore to 9mm. Costs $100 or more. awbu@kvmo.net

Unread 10-25-2001, 10:55 PM   #11
Hugh
RIP

Default Re: Definitely don't do it!!!!

I second and third the "don't do it". The 30 Luger is a ball to shoot, and remember; it was the original Luger caliber! If you reload, I have some cheap 30 Luger brass for sale and reloading data. If you are concerned about the price of the ammo, and want a 9mm to shoot, then send it to me and I will swap you a nice 9mm shooter for it!

Unread 10-25-2001, 11:10 PM   #12
BILL
User

Default Ahem! just for the record..

..the .30 cal Luger is a great round..I like it a lot..the whole point that I find interesting here (just amongst shooters and collectors, though) is that a single replacement part (out of all the parts) turns the pistol into a different caliber. How many pistols share that feature? As for the 1920 commercials which are in .30 caliber, many of them started their lives as 9mm and probably saw a lot of action that way. They ended up being reworked to spend the rest of their lives as a 7.65 Parabellum. Truly, if it is all matching and original it would be cheaper to sell it outright and buy a 9mm. The option, though, does exist (which is how this thread started). How 'bout this: "I know you wouldn't ever think of doing this but were you aware that by simply changing one part you can change the caliber of your pistol?"

Unread 10-25-2001, 11:46 PM   #13
Thor
User

Default Re: Definitely don't do it!!!!

I second Hugh's comment on the 30, they may cost a little more to shoot, but they are literally and figureatively a blast to shoot, accurate and most 1920 Commercials have a good barrel! THOR

Unread 10-26-2001, 02:27 AM   #14
Big Norm
RIP

Default A BETTER WAY

Definately do not rebore or rebarrel. Keep your gun original. I would watch ebay and try to find a receiver with a 9mm barrel. Parts are always being sold there. It would be cheaper than buying a spare gun and all you have to do is switch barrels/receivers whenever you want to go shooting. Then you still have the unblemished original available if you should ever decide to sell or upgrade your current Luger. Your current Luger has value as an original. Screwing around with it is a good way to ruin its value.

Big Norm

Unread 10-26-2001, 02:58 AM   #15
Big Norm
RIP

Default SIMULAR SITUATION

I have a simular situation. I bought a parts gun for $330. But after looking at it I found I got an original navy mag and a great set of grips with the gun. But someone rebarreled this 1918 DWM to a 30 cal. Otherwise its all matching except for a side plate. I go thru the expenses and can't see cost justifying a fixup of the barrel and finding a new sideplate unless I can find something cheap on ebay.

Big Norm

Unread 10-26-2001, 12:37 PM   #16
BILL
User

Default Re: A BETTER WAY

The best way to enjoy shooting and collecting Lugers is to have some shooters (9mm and .30cal) and some collectors that you don't shoot. There are many fine Lugers around just waiting to be adopted (for the right price). Everyone should do their part and give these excellent pistols really good homes.