LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 05-25-2021, 09:19 AM   #81
Fla.Mallard
User

I have that exact model and this situation 'scared' me into retiring it as a shooter.

Thank you for posting.
Fla.Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2021, 08:56 AM   #82
Allen Brett
User

Fla.Mallard, no big deal I shoot all my guns at least a few times from my 1873 Winchester and first gen Colt SAA all the up way to my newest firearms. Kinda like having a classic car I can only polish and never drive. I do have a few that I only fired to make sure they worked and then put them away for the short term so I understand. I paid $1,000 for the pistol and can still get that out of it around here with the replaced block. Had this been a very rare in perfect shape pistol I may have felt a little different about right now, just glad it functions safely and correctly which is the actual intent of a firearm meant to be used.
Allen Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Allen Brett for your post:
Unread 05-29-2021, 02:31 PM   #83
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default best part

Hi Allen, best part of the whole experience, is, look at what you learned! Can't get that type of experience without breaking a few eggs! Best to you, til....lat'r....GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2021, 12:26 PM   #84
Allen Brett
User

Hello G.T. and once again a huge thanks to you! Without your direction I would not have been able to fix the pistol. You are so very correct in your statement on "experience". Thanks to you and this forum(along with a little Youtube) I am confident in purchasing a Luger and knowing what to look for, how to completly disassemble one put them back together and correctly lube/maintain them. It is said "knowledge is power" and I agree 100%. We were able to get my pistol fixed, headspace checked and back on track all on our own. The gunsmiths around here have no idea how a Luger even functions. Two weeks ago I was able to help a friend out with what I have learned. We looked over a 1916 DWM and confirmed there were no bluing issues, import stamps, mismatced numbers(even down to the firing pin) cracks, etc. He purchased the pistol for $1,000 after we checked the headspace with my new gauges. I was able to pass on to him how to disassembe/clean, lube, etc. There is now another Luger owner in the world just like me in his late 50's who grew up on WWII and John Wayne movies always wanting a Luger and a Colt SAA.
Allen Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Allen Brett for your post: