LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 02-16-2018, 06:15 PM   #21
Hoot
User

G.T. you da man!

I got my Drum today. Read the manual, reread the threads. Mag inserts a little tight, but goes in. Had to depress the mag release when inserting. Locks in and toggle goes forward. Went out to the backyard "range."

Loaded 3 rounds of PPU 124 grain. Worked.
Loaded 3 rounds of Aguila 124 grain. Worked.
Loaded 3 rounds of Blazer brass unknown weight. Worked.
Tried to load 15, didn't work. Got 12 in. Worked.

Back inside and reread manual. Figured out that the mag spring needs to be released after loading. Duh, silly me. Loaded 25, one fell out when I took off the loader. Remembered to beat on the mag to align the rounds. After smacking it around all over, figured out that tapping on the back of the mag body (where the winder is) is the way to make it work. Umm, duh. Silly me.

Went out back again. 24 rounds without a hiccup!

I'm trying to talk myself out of ordering another Drum.

Thank you thank you thank you!!! That is the most fun I've shooting a Luger. Can't wait to give it more ammo.

Post shooting observations; mag inserts in the mag well much easier, don't have to use the mag release, but will just to prevent unnecessary wear. I'm still considering buying another Drum...

Unread 02-16-2018, 06:45 PM   #22
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

I think you're hooked!
It is a lot of fun for sure.

Good for you for taking some imitative and reading the manual and the posts- some quirks to keep up with- but all in all a pretty good reproduction(after GT's work) of the original.
The following 2 members says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 02-16-2018, 09:06 PM   #23
milesc2
User

Thanks GT!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4C439F7B-3F5A-4374-BF0D-0D0ADF70428A.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	71130  

milesc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to milesc2 for your post:
Unread 02-16-2018, 09:53 PM   #24
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

Awesome!! Great Lighting!! Neutral background!
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to cirelaw for your post:
Unread 02-16-2018, 10:24 PM   #25
Eugen
User

Smile

I headed to the range today with my two shooters and my new snail drum. What a blast! I did experience some difficulty inserting the S.D. (w/20 rds) with the spring unlocked, and getting the S.D. to lock in the mag well. I had to lightly pound the S.D. while holding the grips until I could hear the mag disconnect go click. So a little more fiddling is necessary. But, it was cold outside and I ran out of time. She'll be right with a little more love and attention. I'll provide an update later. Boy, this S.D. is fun!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180216_190442.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	71136  

Name:	20180216_190731.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	71137  

The following 3 members says Thank You to Eugen for your post:
Unread 02-16-2018, 11:13 PM   #26
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default Drums into the Luger!

Hey Eugene! Did you have the toggle locked open?? Can't insert the drum with any rounds in it at all without doing that?.... ... Let me know how you turn out, here to help! best to all, til...lat'r.....GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2018, 11:42 PM   #27
Eugen
User

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T. View Post
Hey Eugene! Did you have the toggle locked open?? Can't insert the drum with any rounds in it at all without doing that?.... ... Let me know how you turn out, here to help! best to all, til...lat'r.....GT
G.T., with the toggle locked back, I could easily insert the loaded S.D. (with the spring unlocked) and the mag release clicked just fine. However, with that scenario, I had difficulty unlocking the toggle, to chamber a round and return to battery. This was the case with both pistols. Was I doing something wrong, or do I need to adjust something? So I changed my approach as I mentioned in my previous post. With that approach, I was able to get everything to work and fire until I emptied the drum.
Unread 02-17-2018, 12:34 AM   #28
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default drum stuff!

Hi Eugene! It is pretty much a necessary operation to hit the toggle with your hand to close it on the first round... Just pulling it back and releasing it will not do the deed??? .... If you think about it... even normal mags loaded with 8 rounds sometimes need a tap to close.... Let me know as you become more familiar with the drums operation... they will all have their own kinks and it's going to take some effort to get them running 100%... In the next few weeks, I will try to post a trouble shooting flow chart.... God knows I've seen just about every problem they can have???. ... Best to you, til...lat'r.....GT....
The following member says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 02-17-2018, 01:29 AM   #29
Hoot
User

Eugen, I have that issue unless I pull down on the Drum after it locks in. Lock toggle open, insert Drum until it locks in place, pull down on Drum, close toggle as normal (no push needed). Works that way for me. Maybe I'm just lucky.
Unread 02-17-2018, 01:34 AM   #30
Hoot
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
I think you're hooked!
It is a lot of fun for sure.

Good for you for taking some imitative and reading the manual and the posts- some quirks to keep up with- but all in all a pretty good reproduction(after GT's work) of the original.
No question I'm hooked. I wanted one Luger just to say I have one. I'm at 4 now. The Drum is just icing on the cake. I really like my 100 year old assault pistol.

I generally read directions or manuals only after much failing to make something work, if I can find them in the trash. This Drum is a pleasure to study.
Unread 02-17-2018, 08:30 AM   #31
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Hoot has it right: "Eugen, I have that issue unless I pull down on the Drum after it locks in. Lock toggle open, insert Drum until it locks in place, pull down on Drum, close toggle as normal (no push needed). Works that way for me. Maybe I'm just lucky."

I too found that my toggle would not release as it was hitting the top/rear edge of the drum, so I had to tug down so it was down against the mag. release in order to let the toggle go forward. No biggie, just part of the fun.

dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to DavidJayUden for your post:
Unread 02-18-2018, 09:44 AM   #32
Eugen
User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJayUden View Post
Hoot has it right: "Eugen, I have that issue unless I pull down on the Drum after it locks in. Lock toggle open, insert Drum until it locks in place, pull down on Drum, close toggle as normal (no push needed). Works that way for me. Maybe I'm just lucky."

I too found that my toggle would not release as it was hitting the top/rear edge of the drum, so I had to tug down so it was down against the mag. release in order to let the toggle go forward. No biggie, just part of the fun.

dju
DJU, Hoot, thanks for that tip. That procedure worked on one of my shooters (an excellent performing 1918 Erfurt Berlin Police academy rearsenal), but not on my other shooter (an 8" barreled Mauser K mix master) that has a much tighter mag well, at least concerning the fitment of the S.D.

But, as I mentioned in a previous post, I discovered/learned from posts in this thread that simply lightly bumping the bottom of the loaded (with 15 rds of snap caps) the S.D. securely fits and the mag catch clicks closed ...on a closed toggle in battery Luger . I then am able to rack the toggle and load a round into the chamber.
Bingo!

When the weather improves I plan to test all these loading methods with live rounds at the range.

I can't wait. This S.D. is so much fun!

'Hats off' to G.T., Don Voight et al for the development work on this revised S.D. model. I forgot to say this earlier.
Unread 02-18-2018, 11:14 AM   #33
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Limited future drum availability!

Hello to all! Especially you new Luger snail drum drivers!....... I can see that you're all figuring them out fast and having fun to boot! That puts a smile on my face as well! ... As you can tell, it is a learning curve & plateau type of knowledge to make these units perform, and I'm really happy for the feedback you have generated so far! There are, as of now, nearly 70 GT revised drum sets sent & sold and the numbers, I'm afraid, will always be low....
The reason for this is some of them just absolutely defy revision, so I need to test, work, test, polish, test, work, test, etc. until I reach a minimum level of function.... Sometime nearly all day on ONE drum???... I had goals of 50 a month, but this is looking more like 20 to 25 realistically...
But, it is what it is, and when revised, they look correct, fit correct, will last, and most of the time...work as revised... This is a hugh leap from where they start.. and are just a paper weight prior to the revision... Since contact with NUMRICH I have not stopped testing and experimenting to improve the time on task, and it is improving.. And I now have development time down from, "Ludacris", to "ridicules" .. and am improving as we speak..
Making the main springs is like being in a fencing class... and the winding levers have literally beat the chicken soup out of my fingers? .. but we press on.
So, as the heading of the note states, future drums will come in small bunches, and there may never be too many, because it is just about logistically impossible to do a large number at once..
Keep in mind, I'm always here to help, coach, and repair to make your Luger drum experience a fun and rewarding quest!
Best to my Luger family here... til....lat'r....GT...
BTW, for 100% flawless function... POLISH!!! Then, POLISH some more!! The slicker the inside, the better... every where the bullets slide, and especially up the turn and vertical spout!! More, is way better!!!
The following 4 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 02-18-2018, 11:20 AM   #34
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default One more thing!

As you trial & error test your drums, please share your knowledge on the forum! This is by no means a done deal and all help and suggestions will be closely evaluated for improved performance... Right now, I'm working, trying to find the best, (easiest) polishing technique, and the slickest "crap" on the planet????? ... let me know what you try with yours!...best to all, til....lat'r....GT...
The following 2 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 02-18-2018, 11:30 AM   #35
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

You have to be PROUD!
Unread 02-18-2018, 01:19 PM   #36
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default happy!

Hi Eric, proud has never been too kind to me.... ...along with most real success, also comes jealousy and greed? Friends and enemies aren't who they seem, and I don't want to play in that arena in my remaining life's journey. So I choose to do things that are appreciated, and make folks happy.... And, subsequently, make me happy as well! As I've mentioned before, this is like family to me... and many, many good friendships have been the result! Best to all, til...lat'r....GT......
The following 6 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 02-18-2018, 03:18 PM   #37
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

It Gods' Hand that brings us all together~ Always~Whenever~
Unread 05-04-2018, 08:01 PM   #38
g5m
User

Any idea of when more will be available?
g5m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2018, 10:04 PM   #39
LugerMan.com
User

If you talking about 45 lugers, we are working on 2018 lot of 50, and most all ready preorderd, with some avaliable.

Last edited by LugerMan.com; 05-05-2018 at 09:49 AM.
LugerMan.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2018, 11:54 PM   #40
g5m
User

Sorry, should have been clearer. I was asking about the snail drums --at least for now. I'd love to buy one of your 45's but it's not on the horizon right now.
g5m is offline   Reply With Quote