LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 06-09-2015, 07:23 AM   #21
kurusu
User

I just saw pictures of the "714". Looks like it has a "712" frame minus the fire selector.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2015, 07:28 AM   #22
alvin
User

Very few persons have disassembled it to see what's inside. One day in future, I will post some pictures.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to alvin for your post:
Unread 06-10-2015, 04:52 AM   #23
alvin
User

Kind of weird. The winner of the item does not respond to invoice. Just checked, winner is a new member of auctionarms.com, has zero rating. Probably does not know how to proceed... why not ask then... I will give winner one week to respond to invoice.
Unread 06-10-2015, 09:59 AM   #24
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurusu View Post
I just saw pictures of the "714". Looks like it has a "712" frame minus the fire selector.
Yes, this has been discussed here before. I think it was Navy Arms that did a run of billet semi-auto receivers for a batch of 712 Schnellfeuers they had found somewhere. No selector on the side. I don't recall if they altered the lockwork.

They were all refinished; some were done as carbines. IIRC someone (might have been me) posted the ad from SGN about them.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 06-10-2015, 01:07 PM   #25
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
Kind of weird. The winner of the item does not respond to invoice. Just checked, winner is a new member of auctionarms.com, has zero rating. Probably does not know how to proceed... why not ask then... I will give winner one week to respond to invoice.
Alvin,
it is not so weird, lots of "un-rated" bidders have this problem,
maybe bought it in "error", lost the $$, or wife said no! or just
changed his mind.

Hopefully it is just that he forgot to look at the auction or his email,
do keep us posted.
DonVoigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2015, 08:05 PM   #26
alvin
User

Turned out being OK -- received a valid transferring dealer's FFL via email today. Just wait for money order now. Should be OK. The price sold to him is low, if he indeed backs out, I would be very surprised. It's not easy to find one like this at this price. Lots of C96 with deep pits under blue are sold this price on gunbroker.com and auctionarms.com. This one is pits free, and finish is original 75-80% except floor. Bore is shiny bright, not relined or rebored. He'll be very happy.

Now expecting my new M1930 coming
Unread 06-12-2015, 12:41 AM   #27
Jim Mac
User

Called the shop today and the smith hasn't looked at it yet. Turns out he's more of a gun hobbies not a full blown gun smith and a regular customer not a guy running a business. Price hasn't changed but the sales guy said he would talk to the boss about making a "as is" adjustment. So im going to stop by this weekend and see how much of a adjustment there is. Jim
Jim Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2015, 12:43 PM   #28
TheRomanhistorian
User

Good luck, Jim. I think it'd be a good buy if they could come down a bit on the price due to 'non-functionality' and you could send it somewhere to a smith who knows Broomhandles (any recommendations off of the forum?).

Nos morituri te salutant - Supposed saying of the gladiators to the emperor ('We, who are about to die, salute you.')

'We are the lantern bearers, my friend; for us to keep something burning, to carry what light we can forward into the darkness and the wind' - From Rosemary Sutcliff's The Lantern Bearers
TheRomanhistorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2015, 11:33 PM   #29
Jim Mac
User

Update. Went back twice to the pawn shop. Both time was told they havent looked further into the mauser. I guess they arent in a real hurry to do anything with it. Im sure people arent beating down the doors to buy the thing, they have a customer (me) interested but arent doing anything about it. Im probably going to stop by in a couple weeks and see if its still there. Funny thing they have the repop stock attached to the pistol to make a nice short barreled rifle. Dont know if thier ffl covers sbr's but ive never seen a suppressor for sale there. Its a pawn shop so who knows. Jim
Unread 06-22-2015, 08:22 AM   #30
alvin
User

In most cases, attaching stock is OK. Some sellers do not know Navy Arms assembled 714 were not C&R, nor are those Chinese Selbstlader marked parts pistols with removable magazine. also attaching a stock without registration, that's illegal. Some FFL dealers even attach repro stock to Navy Arms publicly on gunbroker.com for sale. Obviously, they did not do their homework. Looks like no one chasing them either. They are adults, it's their business. If authority chases them, their licenses are in jeopardy. How stupid it is to lose license this way.
Unread 06-22-2015, 08:34 PM   #31
nukem556
User

Alanint....are you sure? On the Smith and Wesson forum, I saw a reply from the ATF to a shooter dated 1/24/2014 that stated repro stocks of correct size and shape are legal with an original C96, but NOT with one that had a newly manufactured receiver.......???
nukem556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2015, 07:07 PM   #32
Jim Mac
User

I saw the same letter posted. Got me wanting a repo stock for mine. Jim
Unread 06-29-2015, 10:48 PM   #33
Jim Mac
User

Went back to the pawn shop yesterday. I was told someone came in and fixed it. I got the feeling someone came in took it apart and reset whatever and they called it good. $800 no warranty, no idea why the hammer wouldn't lock back in the first place. I passed. Jim
Unread 06-30-2015, 10:31 AM   #34
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukem556 View Post
Alanint....are you sure? On the Smith and Wesson forum, I saw a reply from the ATF to a shooter dated 1/24/2014 that stated repro stocks of correct size and shape are legal with an original C96, but NOT with one that had a newly manufactured receiver.......???
Yes, that is correct. I'm not sure how I stated this in my post, but exact copies are ok, what you cannot do is come up with modern gizmos as stocks for antique pistols.

Sorry for any confusion.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2015, 06:40 PM   #35
Jim Mac
User

Bringing back a older thread. Went to the shop today. The gun guy said the old timer gun Smith stopped by and said its probably a broken sear or sear spring. Thats why the hammer wont stay locked back. They said they had $450 into the rig with three strippers, reproduction holster and leather strap and the gun. They would let it go for $450. The top and bottom doesnt match. Looks like no finish, its a 7.63 and the barrel looks like a musket. As in its a smooth bore! Zero rifling left.
I know its probably not worth it, I would be better off buying one in functioning condition for a little more money. But...im a sucker for poor orphaned projects. Jim
Unread 07-19-2015, 06:59 PM   #36
Jim Mac
User

One last thing, there is a very small import mark sac ca stamped on it. Im thinking maybe its one of those mauser imported from china back in the eighties? Jim
Unread 07-19-2015, 07:21 PM   #37
alvin
User

With sac ca stamp, it should be a broomhandle imported from China in 1980s.

For project C96, it's a special category. There are better base guns from time to time. For example, this one was sold just a few days ago:

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/13463719/

Well... It's $240 more expensive than that $450 one. But be honest, to reline the bore of that $450 piece, that will easily cost you $240. Fixing the hammer problem,,, parts plus labor,,, won't cost another $100?? After that, will it work... who knows... I understand people are doing project not for money, just for fun, but a better base will be easier to start.

This $690 one has a weird grip, which is ugly. But a pair of reproduction grip panels are easy to come, and cheap.
Unread 07-19-2015, 11:31 PM   #38
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
Bringing back a older thread. Went to the shop today. The gun guy said the old timer gun Smith stopped by and said its probably a broken sear or sear spring. Thats why the hammer wont stay locked back. They said they had $450 into the rig with three strippers, reproduction holster and leather strap and the gun. They would let it go for $450. The top and bottom doesnt match. Looks like no finish, its a 7.63 and the barrel looks like a musket. As in its a smooth bore! Zero rifling left.
I know its probably not worth it, I would be better off buying one in functioning condition for a little more money. But...im a sucker for poor orphaned projects. Jim
Jim,
like many or even most of the chinese imports, it is pretty much worn out.

You may never get it to work, at least not without spending a fortune on it.

I'd get a functioning one, if a shot out bore was the only thing- that could be fixed.

This one is full of snakes and will bite your, JMHO>
DonVoigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2015, 12:18 AM   #39
Jim Mac
User

Im going to pass on this one. I have no issue swapping out parts and figuring stuff out. But 450 and redmans charges $215 plus shipping to reline, plus whatever parts it ends up needing I would be upside down in the thing in a hurry. Jim
Unread 07-20-2015, 09:31 AM   #40
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
The gun guy said the old timer gun Smith stopped by and said its probably a broken sear or sear spring. Thats why the hammer wont stay locked back. They said they had $450 into the rig with three strippers, reproduction holster and leather strap and the gun. They would let it go for $450. The top and bottom doesnt match. Looks like no finish, its a 7.63 and the barrel looks like a musket...I know its probably not worth it...
$450 is what I offered Simpson's a year or two back for a C96 with a bent barrel. (I would have grafted a new barrel on it). At that price, I figured it was worth $450 in parts...And priceless for experimenting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
I understand people are doing project not for money, just for fun...
I have never looked at machine work as 'fun', in the strictest sense of the word...I get a lot of satisfaction doing machining, welding, turning, fabricating...making things out of lumps of metal with machines...It's more a sense of satisfaction than 'fun'...

My first "real" job was as a production machinist...I loved the work but hated the job...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post: