LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 02-24-2014, 01:12 PM   #21
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Chris, I think that the damage was occurring at the rear of the receiver where the rear toggle can contact the back of the receiver.

Marc
Unread 02-24-2014, 02:37 PM   #22
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curss View Post
Interesting thread, I did not know the breech block can slap the inside of the gun if the springs are weak. What sort of wear and tear could you visibly see if this was a problem? Might be a good idea to start checking for such damage before you buy a shooter grade gun!

-Chris
Chris,

Yes, this is a very good wear (abuse) indicator and should be checked, if possible, before a Luger is purchased.

After disassembly, take a look at the uppermost part of the rear frame. There you will see where the breach block can contact the frame at its uppermost rear position.

The breach block is hardened, but the frame is not. Where the breach block contacts the frame, there may be peen marks. If these marks are deep or disfiguring (something you can catch your fingernail on), you know that the hot stuff has been fired through the pistol.

Normally, if proper ammo is used, these marks will be only shadows in the bluing, if that, nothing more. Again, a proper load will not slam these parts together; causing the aforementioned, deep, disfiguring peen marks.

I hope this helps.

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Sieger for your post:
Unread 02-24-2014, 05:01 PM   #23
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Interesting thread, I did not know the breech block can slap the inside of the gun if the springs are weak. What sort of wear and tear could you visibly see if this was a problem?
This sort...

Also note the right toggle ramp...

(This is the 1900AE at the extreme left in post #10 on preceding page)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	framepeen2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	40348  

sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 02-24-2014, 05:48 PM   #24
Curss
User

Seems my .30 commercial has similar wear, but on BOTH ramps. Is there a difference between the 1900 and 1908 toggle ramps?
Curss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2014, 07:49 PM   #25
Curss
User

Perhaps I should change my spring as well. I have the recoil calibration pack from Wolff Gunsprings, what mainspring should I use? #36, #38, or #40? Is there modifications needed for the appropriate spring?
Unread 02-24-2014, 07:54 PM   #26
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote:
Perhaps I should change my spring as well. I have the recoil calibration pack from Wolff Gunsprings, what mainspring should I use? #36, #38, or #40? Is there modifications needed for the appropriate spring?
Start with the standard, the 38#. No modifications necessary. You may notice that they are progressively more difficult to compress.
Unread 02-24-2014, 08:06 PM   #27
danielsand
User

Quote:
If you ARE going to shoot this pistol, you owe it to yourself, and all the people that WILL own it after you, to have a fresh set of springs in it. And why not? the springs are rediculously cheap, and the pistol is valuable,...simple logic.
danielsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2014, 08:07 PM   #28
Curss
User

I agree danielsand!

I've read that the springs for .30 Luger and for 9MM are different, how can you tell which one is for which?

Last edited by Curss; 02-24-2014 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Clarification
Unread 02-25-2014, 11:41 AM   #29
Curss
User

Tried both #38 and #36 mainsprings, both ended up with cartridges nose up. I don't think the #40 spring will work as the original spring that works feels lighter. Magazines an ammo don't seem to be an issue, as the old spring worked for both.

Any idea's on what to do from here?
Unread 02-25-2014, 01:32 PM   #30
Sieger
User

Quote:
Tried both #38 and #36 mainsprings, both ended up with cartridges nose up. I don't think the #40 spring will work as the original spring that works feels lighter. Magazines an ammo don't seem to be an issue, as the old spring worked for both.

Any idea's on what to do from here?
Hi,

Please explain ..."both ended up with cartridges nose up".

Were the cartridges jammed between the breach block and feeding ramp? If so, this is your typical "Luger Jam" caused by several factors.

Sieger
Unread 02-25-2014, 01:57 PM   #31
stressed
User

Quote:
I agree danielsand!

I've read that the springs for .30 Luger and for 9MM are different, how can you tell which one is for which?
.30 is 19 turn 9mm is 22 turn (WWII)

As for your feeding issues, have you tried another mag?
Looking for any Mauser S/42 #89 parts
stressed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 03:20 PM   #32
danielsand
User

Mainspring does not have much effect on feeding. Correct me if I'm wrong Gents, but the weak mainspring will not absorb the recoil, and the pistol will slam in the back, peening the frame, and/or ramps. Too stiff mainspring will cause the weapon to "short stroke", and the fresh cartrige will not be picked up from the mag. Also,....too strong spring might not allow the breech to travel far enough for the empty case to hit the ejector with sufficient force to be ejected, thus it will stay "hooked" on the extractor, and travel back misaligned, causing the classic "stove pipe".

"Nose up" (if I understand you correctly), is the loaded cartridge jammed between the breech block and the chamber? (failure to chamber)

That's usually caused by the weak mag spring, damaged mag lips, or damaged follower.

Try changing the mag, and forget about the mainspring for now. I would also inspect the frame rails/bolt rails, and check for burrs, damage, being tweaked, and such. Put the upper on the frame (don't hook it), and slide it gently back and forth to feel for binding.
danielsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 04:02 PM   #33
Curss
User

There is a tiny bur in one spot waaaay in the back on the rails. Something to add, changing the striker spring to one of the extra power striker springs improved the function of the gun. However, I still have problems feeding. Using a #36 mainspring I can shoot the gun with its original magazine and a mec-gar magazine, but sometimes it won't activate the hold open latch. Before I changed the striker spring, the gun would't not feed properly during live fire but would chamber if I manually pulled the toggles. I am also using Fiocchi .30 Luger, both FMJ amd semi-jacketed soft points.
Unread 02-25-2014, 04:29 PM   #34
Curss
User

As for the feeding issue itself, the the round ends up nose first before entering the chamber; so yes, failure to chamber.
The following member says Thank You to Curss for your post:
Unread 02-26-2014, 01:20 AM   #35
Sieger
User

Quote:
As for the feeding issue itself, the the round ends up nose first before entering the chamber; so yes, failure to chamber.
Curss,

I'd stick with the 38 pounder, but would replace or rework the magazine, as the new recoil spring is now outrunning it.

This is a very typical and common problem when a Luger's springs are out of timing.

If you can find one, the older style Mec-Gars were nice.

Search GT, our resident magazine expert, in this forum and he will fix you up nicely.

Sieger
The following member says Thank You to Sieger for your post:
Unread 02-26-2014, 02:25 AM   #36
Curss
User

I will contact him when my next pay check comes in. I do have a Mec-gar mag that I purchased a few years ago, but I do think it needs work. The gun came with an original mag of some sort, I'll see if he can't rework that one as well.

So, try to stick with the #38, don't modify it, and get new mag springs. Then retest!
Unread 02-26-2014, 03:43 PM   #37
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

GT has had some special Luger mag springs made up for just him. He installs them and says that they do not lose their power anywhere near like the original/aftermarket mag springs. Many of us on this forum have had GT "tuneup" mags for us with excellent results. When it come to Luger mags, GT is your man hands down!!
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2014, 06:00 PM   #38
Curss
User

Are they extra power springs? And should I have the original mag reworked?
Unread 02-27-2014, 11:29 PM   #39
Sieger
User

Quote:
Are they extra power springs? And should I have the original mag reworked?
Hi,

Yes, there are extra power springs.

For specific question, your best bet is to contact GT. He will answer your questions and arrange to fix your problem.

Sieger
Unread 03-10-2014, 06:07 PM   #40
Curss
User

Default Update

Ok,

Finally got my magazines back from G.T., and so far no improvement. With the original magazine in place, and the #38 mainspring in place, every other shot ends up as a failure to feed. The Mec-Gar had similar results.

With the #40 mainspring, the gun fails to eject I believe because it is not traveling far enough to reach the ejector. Did not matter which magazine was used.

The #36 mainspring gave no improvement as well with either Mec-Gar nor original magazine.

Perhaps I should clip one of the new mainsprings down to 19 coils? Which one should I start with?

Jim Solomon's tool got a good exercise in mainspring changes. With a little practice, I've gotten darn good at the mainspring swap.

Last edited by Curss; 03-10-2014 at 09:41 PM.