LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 08-11-2018, 09:30 PM   #21
F15E_WSO
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair View Post
Denny is correct..clarification is always good. You say the extractor moves up and down easily. Could be a weak spring? Have you closely inspected the extractor lips?

Take out the firing pin. Insert a magazine of rounds..try to work the toggle to extract them all.

Take a look at your ejector to see that it is complete and not chipped or broken.
lugerholsterrepair, ejector looks good I think, not chipped or broken (see photos previous page). What are "extractor lips"? What number would you assign them on the parts legend below?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	parts list exploded.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	73485  

Last edited by F15E_WSO; 08-11-2018 at 09:32 PM. Reason: photos now on previous page....
F15E_WSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2018, 09:57 PM   #22
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

#21. The lips/buck teeth grab onto the channel at the back of the cartridge. If these are damaged in any way..they might slip off. If the spring is weak..it might not clamp down hard enough to pull the cartridge back and out. One of many possibilities.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 08-12-2018, 06:55 PM   #23
F15E_WSO
User

Default Day 2 Updates

So back to the range this morning. Still feeding the Fiocchis in one at a time into the magazine and then the chamber. First four rounds "chimney". I consider this progress as yesterday only 1 of 7 got that far. Fifth shot comes up AND out of the breech and the toggle is full locked in the open position with an empty mag!! Good news. Next four rounds fire, eject, toggle locked open. Yes!!

OK, now let's put two in the mag and see if we can complete the next step....

Not so much. NOT one of the second rounds in the mag made it up and in the chamber. Now ALL fired rounds ejected up and out, but the next round jammed.

Now these are Fiocchi 765 .30 Luger 93 gr. The listing says FMJ but they have in fact a lead tip. Soft lead....

Now a new Mag is in the mail, so happy to let this lay for the week and try again when the new mag arrives....it may fix the rest of this.

Thoughts on the jamming "next" round and the soft lead tip? Soft tips a recipe for disaster? New Mag may sort it out, leave it for now?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180812_112214907.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	73488  

Name:	IMG_20180812_112224398.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	73489  

Name:	IMG_20180812_112230061.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	73490  

Name:	IMG_20180812_114052002_HDR.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	73491  

Unread 08-12-2018, 11:27 PM   #24
4 Scale
User

Using Fiocchi in my .30 Luger pistols often results in the nose-high jam shown in your post #23. After lots of experimenting, measuring rounds and consulting with our Luger/magazine expert G.T., I think Fiocchi is short in overall length and that's what causes that jam. Prvi Partisan ammo is slightly longer and fixed the issue.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post:
Unread 08-13-2018, 12:04 AM   #25
F15E_WSO
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Scale View Post
Using Fiocchi in my .30 Luger pistols often results in the nose-high jam shown in your post #23. After lots of experimenting, measuring rounds and consulting with our Luger/magazine expert G.T., I think Fiocchi is short in overall length and that's what causes that jam. Prvi Partisan ammo is slightly longer and fixed the issue.

Maybe the new magazine will help. I think you're the second to recommend the Prvi Partisan but none to be found?! Do you have a source? Link?
Unread 08-13-2018, 08:04 AM   #26
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Different ammo with FMJ design and a new mag. should get you close.
If you are here to stay contact GT and secure one of his mags. for your shooting.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Ammunition...ds=.30%20Luger

dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2018, 08:12 AM   #27
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

That jam is typical of "weak" Fiocchi and the problem is that the toggle does not come back all the way to pick up the next round.
Solution is "stronger" ammo like PPU, or weaker mainspring.

You can't fix it with a magazine. Too short OAL can compound the problem, but unless you get the toggle to full extension, it still won't work.

I'll bet the toggle does not lock open when you fire a single round either, a confirming symptom.
Unread 08-13-2018, 09:12 AM   #28
K.Wilhelm
User

Default .30 Luger issues

For those of us who really like shooting the .30 Luger round there is really no good choice other than handloading. The bullets can be a bit of a challenge to find, but the brass is fairly easy. An add in the "want to buy" section would probably yield results. Single stage presses are readily available and cheap as are .30 Luger dies.

Anyway, the really great thing about handloading is you can easily adjust powder charges and over all lengths(oal) to fit your pistol perfectly. As Sieger and Rhuff taught me Lugers tend to like longer oal. Bill
The following member says Thank You to K.Wilhelm for your post:
Unread 08-13-2018, 11:40 AM   #29
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

In your photos of the jammed round, your toggle doesn't appear to be opening fully. Could be a result of too strong a recoil spring or a defective connecting link, which is attached to the rear toggle link. TH
Unread 08-13-2018, 03:33 PM   #30
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

MY 7.65P Lugers do not play well with the Fiocchi soft tip ammo, or any of the hollow point bullets that I tried in reloading the 30 Luger brass. No problems with the Fiocchi 92gr FMJ in any of my guns. Some folks here, on the forum, have Lugers that eat the JSP ammo with no problems. Many Lugers are ammo sensitive, and one has to "shop around" or handload.
Need DWM breechblock #21
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to rhuff for your post:
Unread 08-13-2018, 05:42 PM   #31
F15E_WSO
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
That jam is typical of "weak" Fiocchi and the problem is that the toggle does not come back all the way to pick up the next round.
Solution is "stronger" ammo like PPU, or weaker mainspring.

You can't fix it with a magazine. Too short OAL can compound the problem, but unless you get the toggle to full extension, it still won't work.

I'll bet the toggle does not lock open when you fire a single round either, a confirming symptom.
DV, so yesterday when I was not trying to cycle the second round; shooting one round at a time in magazine therefore empty mag when cycling the Hold Open was working, the toggle would stay back. At that point I felt that things were heading towards normal ops and I tried to rounds. Fiocchi makes a 765A and 765B, the alpha has FULL metal copper jacket, the bravo has the lead tip.

Of course I got the lead tip
Unread 08-13-2018, 06:03 PM   #32
HerrKaiser
User

My .30 also played very nice with Fiocchi 92 gr FMJ and had no problems shooting with it. Granted it’s springs feel MUCH weaker than my 9mm and all mechanical functions on it are silky smooth, since whoever had it first seemed to love it a lot. That said it’s holdopen doesn’t work when shooting.

Looking for Mauser S/42 toggle train #22
HerrKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to HerrKaiser for your post:
Unread 08-13-2018, 06:20 PM   #33
F15E_WSO
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff View Post
MY 7.65P Lugers do not play well with the Fiocchi soft tip ammo, or any of the hollow point bullets that I tried in reloading the 30 Luger brass. No problems with the Fiocchi 92gr FMJ in any of my guns. Some folks here, on the forum, have Lugers that eat the JSP ammo with no problems. Many Lugers are ammo sensitive, and one has to "shop around" or handload.
So a review of my WhiteBirch Armory purchase shows I did in fact order the Fiocchi 765A (FMJ) vs the Fiocchi 765B (JSP)..... I've contacted them to see what is up with the mix-up. Not blaming them for the problem (could easily be the gun, the Fiocchi (rated weak)) but I'd like to start with a FMJ.
Unread 08-13-2018, 06:27 PM   #34
F15E_WSO
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrKaiser View Post
My .30 also played very nice with Fiocchi 92 gr FMJ and had no problems shooting with it. Granted it’s springs feel MUCH weaker than my 9mm and all mechanical functions on it are silky smooth, since whoever had it first seemed to love it a lot. That said it’s holdopen doesn’t work when shooting.
Herr Kaiser, so you sort of blow off the Hold Open when the Mag is empty? Otherwise, you load a mag, action the toggle to load a round, and then shoot until empty. Not other issues?
Unread 08-13-2018, 08:08 PM   #35
HerrKaiser
User

Well I only shot it once because it’s all matching. But when I did I just counted the rounds and manually locked it open after the last shot to reload it. Otherwise it didn’t have any issues whatsoever. Fed, fired, extracted and ejected flawlessly. Magazine feed and release was clean and easy, takedown lever slid smooth as did dis/reassembly procedures. Only issue was toggle not locking open on empty.

Looking for Mauser S/42 toggle train #22
HerrKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to HerrKaiser for your post:
Unread 08-13-2018, 09:29 PM   #36
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Hold open problems can be a pain.
One of my shooters is a 1906(coil mainspring/grip safety). I have two uppers for it.
One is a 9mm 1902 fat barrel profile clone; it holds open every time with any 9mm ammo I feed it.
The "other" barrel is a 4" bull barrel GT special, I was firing it today - used 4 different types 9mm ammo, two factory and two reloads. Only one of the reloads would lock the toggle open when firing.

So what you say has this to do with the OP's 7,65mm- nothing- but it does illustrate the need to get full recoil for the hold open to function! The slightly heavier 4" bull barrel is right on the edge of allowing full recoil due to the "extra" mass.

So- I'm back to "it's the ammo", you gotta' get some PPU!
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 08-13-2018, 09:53 PM   #37
Rick W.
User

My friends tell me that the Serbian 30 Luger is more stout than the Fiocchi 30 Luger. Just hearsay on my part, I am a handloader for many years.

Some of your pictures suggest a short stroke on the toggle movement, could be a lot of things like too strong a recoil spring, or ammo that is on the soft side. With the breechblock picts colliding with the middle of the next cartridge, suggests the same thing. You might look at the cartridges that got caught in the action, there oughta be a mark from the lower section of the breechblock face on said case. Might be hard to see, but a black magic marker is your friend.

One might consider placing a piece of cheapo masking tape at the rear of the pistol, to see if the rear link ears are banging the rear of the frame around the lanyard ring. If no mark, a short stroke is possible; if marked; then the toggle is fully retracting.

I cannot see how the bullet nose causes extraction/ejection issues, but my comprhensional skills are down now.

With the holdopen jazz, the issues with such can be many. Taking a grip off and watching the magazine button/holdopen interface might help. These pistols are not new anymore, so surfaces may wear and round if you will. Sounds like in the postings, that the holdopen can work on occasion at least.
Rick W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2018, 06:26 PM   #38
kurusu
User

Just a heads up. Make sure you have no pierced primers on the "weak" Fiocchi ammo.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to kurusu for your post:
Unread 08-14-2018, 06:36 PM   #39
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugerdoc View Post
In your photos of the jammed round, your toggle doesn't appear to be opening fully. Could be a result of too strong a recoil spring or a defective connecting link, which is attached to the rear toggle link. TH
If you check our Luger FAQ document, you'll find the various recoil springs that were used in Lugers.

I also thought you might have a spring that was too powerful when I saw the pictures.
Unread 08-16-2018, 04:45 PM   #40
kurusu
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurusu View Post
Just a heads up. Make sure you have no pierced primers on the "weak" Fiocchi ammo.
Forgot to say this. If you do have pierced primers. Do no use that ammo in a Luger ever.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to kurusu for your post: