LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 01-08-2006, 09:53 PM   #41
Rod WMG
User

I grew up around milk cows, but not machines; it was all done by hand by the people I knew. Please educate me about what "milkstone" is. I assume it is when the milk hardened with exposure to air.
Rod WMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2006, 11:40 PM   #42
Chuckc
User

Default Warning

If anyone has found all the chemicals and is mixing them up, you should be aware that the mixture will give off fumes for a while until the mixture settles down. So, do not put it in a small container and close the lid tightly.

The book did not mention this, but anytime nitric acid mixes with iron (the ferric, in ferric chloride) there is a reaction that gives off fumes. The fumes are not all that dangerous, but they are probably not good for your guns, so don't put the mixture in your gun safe. And don't breath them. There will not be a lot of fumes and the reaction is slow.

Leave it in the garage until it settles down. Also, if you were tilting the bottle when you open it, it could spray the chemicals on you. Don't do that. If you get it on your skin, wash with water immediately. It is not a strong acid, but it would leave a burn if not washed off.

At our plant we tell people that chemicals are like guns. Treat them all like they are loaded
Unread 01-11-2006, 01:04 AM   #43
pipeman45
User

Quote:
Originally posted by Rod WMG
I grew up around milk cows, but not machines; it was all done by hand by the people I knew. Please educate me about what "milkstone" is. I assume it is when the milk hardened with exposure to air.
I think it's a combination of the calcium and the milk fat. Being a dumb farm boy I not real sure.It forms up like a rock,and it's darn hard to remove!!!
pipeman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2006, 03:08 PM   #44
Fritzer
User

Default Farm Supply...

Ron S.

Has nothing to do with re-blue chemicals......
But it's nice to know you can still get

Udder Wash

and

Teat Dip

on the Internet !!!

Besides - this post gave me a chance to test out John D's latest fix

Fritz.
Fritzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2006, 09:33 PM   #45
Revolvr
User

Other than Chuck's custom formulas, what commercial formulas are available for rust browning/bluing? I have seen 2 at Brownell's: Laurel Mountain Forge Barrel Brown and Degreaser [Brownellâ??s 519-100-025] and Pilkington Classic American Rust Bluing Solution [Brownellâ??s 703-200-004] (which Chuck used in his comparison).

There's also BC Plum Brown, but is appears to be just for browning and is used much differently. Not sure if boiling would result in a blued finish. It also requires heating the metal to 275 degrees before applying. Possibly it would work; preheating may be just to speed the process for the modern impatient gun owner.

I plan to experiment with this over the next few weeks once I get the stuff I need. I'll post the results.

-- Dan
Revolvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2006, 06:29 PM   #46
c3006
User

Chuck
I would like to buy some of your majic potion and instructions please pm me or email me at c3006@adelphia.net with instructions on payment. Thanks clint
Unread 04-14-2009, 06:19 PM   #47
grenadier66
New User

Default send me a couple bottles

Hey!
If you still have any let me know. Let me know the cost to ship to Georgia. eddycordell@bellsouth.net
grenadier66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2009, 07:01 PM   #48
Ice
User

This is a great thread. I think it would be cheaper to buy a bottle than hunt up the ingredients and make your own.

Charlie
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2009, 07:23 PM   #49
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
This is a great thread. I think it would be cheaper to buy a bottle than hunt up the ingredients and make your own.
True...But this thread was current in 2006...Is ChuckC still around and providing the magic elixir???

I'd like to try it too...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2009, 08:40 PM   #50
Chuckc
User

Hi guys,

Chuckc is still around but not as active as I was. I made up a batch in 4 oz bottles but they are all gone. Gifts to those who got in on it. I do not anticipate doing that again. Even the small amounts are subject to the hazmat shipping regs and the cost becomes rather expensive.

I the ingredients are easy to come by, except for the nitric acid. Everyone avoids that ingredient. Shipping that stuff is done very carefully. I still have access to all that is needed, but, again getting shipped out is expensive. And not enough demand to make it a viable enterprise.

If anyone is in the Phoenix area and wanted to get together, let me know. Bring your own bottle (small) and I will personnally fill you up. I have pint or so for my personal needs.

I thought I might do some refinish work on the side now that I am retired but I am not sure about the demand. You can check out my one effort on one of these threads. I have done a few of my own and I am very pleased with the outcome.

Good luck to all those who try. And if there is interest in a Hydrochloric acid based solution, I could experiment with something like that. Muratic acid is widely available and is watered down HCL.

Chuck