LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 09-17-2015, 03:01 PM   #1
Castle
User

Default Advice Needed

I have an old PO8 in cal. .30 Luger, manufactured about 1926. Having trouble with: 1. failure to feed the new shell after ejecting the old casing, resulting in a jam, usually with the new round jammed in a little above the breech; 2. smokestacking of the extracted round, again causing a jam. These problems don't appear all the time, but more than they should. Do I have a magazine problem? Some other problem? Very grateful for any guidance or advice. Thanks......CF
Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Castle for your post:
Unread 09-17-2015, 03:22 PM   #2
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

The failure to feed problem is most likely a magazine problem. Instead of using the original magazine try an aftermarket magazine. Those made by Mec-Gar are the best.

Stovepiping in a Luger is usually the result of limp-wristing. Hold the pistol more tightly and do not let your wrist "break" with the shot.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Dwight Gruber for your post:
Unread 09-17-2015, 04:05 PM   #3
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

The other piece of the equation is the ammo.

What are you using?
DonVoigt is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 09-17-2015, 05:13 PM   #4
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

I would try Dwights advice first to try and eliminate the magazine. Get a MecGar. If that doesn't solve it the next step is Don's advice..ammo. Old? New? Brand?

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2015, 05:40 PM   #5
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Make sure it's also been cleaned and properly lubricated.

The magazine is the most likely cause, but if a new MecGar magazine doesn't solve the problem, consider replacing the recoil spring. if the recoil spring is the problem, you might see finish damage or peening on the rear of the frame where the rear toggle hits it. Ensure that you get the right spring, as the .30 Luger DWM Alphabet Commercial uses a different one than the 9mm and other Lugers.

I don't have my copy of Sturgess right now, but it specifies the correct recoil spring if you need one.

Marc
The following 5 members says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 09-17-2015, 07:59 PM   #6
DonVoigt
User

Stove piping is "weak" ammo, or too strong a main spring, IMO.

Trying different ammo is quick; anyway- won't hurt to find out what the OP is using.

Like most problems,there may be more than one contributor- lubrication, magazine, and/or limp-wristing!
Unread 09-17-2015, 10:03 PM   #7
Castle
User

VERY grateful for these notes. My mag. is an oldfashioned wooden-base, and I'm not sure it fits well. Its spring is very stiff; it's a struggle to load six rounds. I would start by trying a new MecGar mag., but here I'm ignorant. The mags I find online are for 9mm pistols. Can I use one in my 7.65 mm Luger, then? I hadn't known that. On ammo, I was having a lot of trouble with Fiocchi a couple of years old, found that new Privi Partizan (Serbian, from Lucky Gunner) worked much better. I will be more aware of limp-wristing. I don't think the problem is from lack of cleaning or lube. I guess it makes sense to try the above solutions before getting into replacing the recoil spring. Thanks to all for the prompt, gracious, and expert guidance. CF
Unread 09-17-2015, 10:23 PM   #8
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

CF:
9mm and .30 cal. mags are interchangeable.
If you are using an original wood base mag. I'd suggest you stop. That wood will crack under spring tension.
Keep us posted.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2015, 10:24 PM   #9
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

Yes...30 Luger or 9MM the base of the cartridge is the same and any Luger magazine is interchangeable. A 9MM will work fine. This is one reason there is not usually any caliber designation on Luger magazines.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2015, 10:40 PM   #10
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle View Post
I have an old PO8 in cal. .30 Luger, manufactured about 1926. Having trouble with: 1. failure to feed the new shell after ejecting the old casing, resulting in a jam, usually with the new round jammed in a little above the breech; 2. smokestacking of the extracted round, again causing a jam. These problems don't appear all the time, but more than they should. Do I have a magazine problem? Some other problem? Very grateful for any guidance or advice. Thanks......CF
Castle,

All modern ammo I have measured is much too short to regularly fire a fully loaded magazine (8rounds) without jamming.

Proper OAL is very important to the proper functioning of a Luger. The proper OAL for round nose ammo is 1.173 inches.

If you handload, you can all but eliminate the jamming problems. However, with the commercial stuff, there is always a chance for jams.

I would try a new Mec-Gar magazine, however, just to establish a baseline.

Just some thoughts.

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2015, 06:14 AM   #11
alvin
User

I have a .30 caliber DWM. Using its original magazine, it always fails on feeding next round. Simply not usable. I bought a Mec-Gar magazine, the problem goes away immediately. Luger is a good gun, but sensitive to ammo, and sensitive to magazine spring strength.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2015, 08:25 AM   #12
DonVoigt
User

Castle,
in the case of Luger mags, a stronger spring is usually better- you may try some lube in the magazine itself, sometimes they get really dirty and the follower doesn't want to move freely.

Ammo- Just a few months ago, I sold a well functioning .30 commercial to a board member(could have been the other board), worked 100% for me and the guy wanted a shooter.
Sent it to him and it would not function for him, no way no how- "same" Fiocchi ammo!
ONly difference was 600 or 800 miles.

Guy is a competition shooter, we discussed it, but it was not limp wristing.

I finallly sent him some of the box of .30 luger Fiocchi I was using.

Problem went away, 100% function again.

Difference in ammo- mine was RNJSP he was using ball, Fiocchi load both.
Fiocchi give the two loads, same bullet weight, one just soft point, two different velocity ratings-
you would think the 10 fps difference they give would be irrelevant, but it just means they are performing differently for some reason.

Since then, I have read on another related thread that Fiocchi has changed their loading in the last some years, so the ammo may be or likely is different lot to lot, or certainly ammo a couple years old to now.

Moral of the story- you problem sounds exactly the same- it is likely the Ammo!
Unread 09-18-2015, 03:42 PM   #13
Castle
User

Gentlemen, very much obliged for all this information and advice. Maybe of interest: the Fiocchi ammo. with which my Luger hardly worked at all was 93 grs, FMJ. The PPU ammo, which works far better but is still not perfect, is 6.0 g, 93 grs, also FMJ. I guess I will first try a new mag. I will report results. I hope the pistol can be brought around, as it's a good old weapon: DWM, all numbers and partial numbers matching, good stocks, and surprisingly accurate (that's when it fires). Thanks again to all......CF
Unread 09-19-2015, 03:01 PM   #14
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Some of the old Lugers can be a real challenge to get them to run reliably, but it can be done if you are persistent. There are a good group of folks on this forum with a load of experience with shooting Lugers, and are more than happy to help.

First you need to start with the basics.

(1) clean and well lubed....you state that has been done.

(2) purchased a good quality magazine.....Meg-Gar is #1

(3) try different brands of FMJRN ammo.

Let's see how that works out for you, and then go from there as we have the baseline for your Luger.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2015, 04:34 PM   #15
Castle
User

Report. I now have a Mec-Gar magazine, obviously well made, and seems a better fit for my 1920s P08 than the old one. Unfortunately, performance not improved. The most consistent problem seems to be failure to strip and load the next round, which jams just above the breech. I've been using PPU ammo. I guess I will try to find different .30 Luger cartridges with the new mag., hoping that the gun will respond. Any members' thoughts very welcome, and thanks for all your help......CF
Unread 09-25-2015, 05:16 PM   #16
DonVoigt
User

You are "down" to replacing the recoil spring; IF, the bolt is recoiling enough to be behind the rim of the
next cartridge in the magazine.

If not, it is still the ammo.
Unread 09-25-2015, 05:53 PM   #17
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Try this: Cup your left hand under the base of the mag. as you are shooting, using the left hand to force the magazine up to the top of the stack higher than it would normally hang.
Reason: Sometimes the magazine catch gets worn and the magazine "hangs" too low to feed correctly.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2015, 01:58 PM   #18
Castle
User

I have ordered a box of Fiocchi .30 Luger SJSP shells for trial. The idea from dju about supporting the magazine while shooting also seems to me to have promise; there is noticeable play in the magazine as it seats in the frame. So I'll try attending to that. Have run out of ammo for the present, so can't test today. If anything interesting develops, I'll report. Meantime, thanks again to all......CF
Unread 09-26-2015, 02:29 PM   #19
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Some members here have had real good luck with the Fiocchi JSP ammo. My experience with that ammo in MY 30 Luger handguns has been dismal to say the least. The Fiocchi 92gr FMJRN has functioned wonderfully for me and my guns. These rascals can be/are ammo sensitive. Your mainspring/recoil spring may be the culprit, but the ammo test with the Fiocchi will help with the diagnosis.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2015, 02:52 PM   #20
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Castle

I think by now you've already obtained all the necessary advices, one more thing, never use old wooden base mags, buy a modern Mec Gar mag surely you'll find a not expensive one that will last you for yonks.

Best

Sergio