LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 06-07-2015, 11:31 PM   #1
Jim Mac
User

Default broom handle hammer not locking back

I was at the local pawn shop and they got a broom handle mauser in. I was checking it out and it looks to be a mismatched mauser. Serial number on the bottom was 101xxx the top was 107xxx I cocked it and the hammer just falls, we messed with the safety and tb e hammer still would not lock back. Played with the trigger, safety, push the top end back and forth and the hammer still will not lock back. The price for the gun when tb ey thought was working was $799 with a repop stock/holster. It may have been buffed years ago. No blue left and repop grips. If tbey do get it working is the price fair? They said they will have someone look at it but im afraid they'll get it to **** and sell it once it **** but maybe not correctly fix it. If the rifling is decent what's a reasonable price for a Franken gun? Thank you. Jim
Jim Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2015, 01:49 AM   #2
TheRomanhistorian
User

That's about what I'd pay with a repro stock and holster. Especially if there is rifling (even if relined). I wouldn't pay more than $1,000 though. That's for sure. I'm sure Alvin will chip in (I have a few Broomhandles but not the same level of knowledge he does) but maybe the hammer pin is worn or not engaging properly? It's the little wishbone shaped part.

Michael

Nos morituri te salutant - Supposed saying of the gladiators to the emperor ('We, who are about to die, salute you.')

'We are the lantern bearers, my friend; for us to keep something burning, to carry what light we can forward into the darkness and the wind' - From Rosemary Sutcliff's The Lantern Bearers
TheRomanhistorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2015, 06:10 AM   #3
alvin
User

Before chasing on that broken mixmaster in pawn shop, probably want to check this one out:

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/13417910

This one has a mismatched magazine floor. But that floor is not a moving part, so won't affect gun functioning.

Install a firing pin and safety lever, it will be fully functional. Aftermarket firing pins are available on gunbroker.com and ebay. Repro stock is flooding on ebay.

Of course, if this one goes too high, then return to pawn shop.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2015, 08:11 AM   #4
Jim Mac
User

Sorry about the poor spelling, im typing on my phone and between too small keyboard and auto correct, sometimes I go back and reread my posts and am amazed at the slop I post.
So $799 would be about the top price on the gun then? The sales guy told me that the gun did function and they had the hammer not locking back before. He was telling me he basically pushed the barrel back and forth while holding the hammer back etc until it worked. I think its got something worn and he just got lucky that they got it to work the one last time.
Im headed back this week and if its still there. Im going to ask that they cycle it at least 15-20 times to see if it keeps working. They said if it still acts up they will discount the price and sell it as a non functioning gun. The sales guy said to for them to pay a unsmith to work on it then sell it makes the liability to them go up not to mention eat into the profit. So we'll see. Thanks. Jim
Unread 06-08-2015, 08:39 AM   #5
alvin
User

Hammer not reliable is a serious safety issue. Much worse than pulling trigger but no bang is this -- you did not pull the trigger and it could bang at worst timing... how scary is that.... could kill someone in range. Probably can only treat it as a pile of parts. Some parts on it might still be usable.
Unread 06-08-2015, 08:52 AM   #6
kurusu
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
Hammer not reliable is a serious safety issue. Much worse than pulling trigger but no bang is this -- you did not pull the trigger and it could bang at worst timing... how scary is that.... could kill someone in range. Probably can only treat it as a pile of parts. Some parts on it might still be usable.
Or you can get a poor man's 712. It's already hardly manageable when you are expecting it. Imagine if it comes as a surprise.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2015, 09:01 AM   #7
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRomanhistorian View Post
...maybe the hammer pin is worn or not engaging properly? It's the little wishbone shaped part.
"Sear spring & hammer pivot". Very important part; stay away from Numrich repros. Try to find an original. (I got one from Alvin years ago.)
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2015, 09:12 AM   #8
Angus Magnus
User

I think you will find that patience pays off when buying broomhandles. Keep an eye on the auctions and you will see that there is no rhyme or reason to what people pay for in the sub $1000 range. Sometimes a bidding war will happen over a total piece of junk, and other times you can walk away the sole bidder on a decent matched shooter for $500-700.

Do not discount a shot out bore with a nice finish at a good price, you can get it relined for $200: http://www.redmansrifling.com/mauser.htm
Angus Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Angus Magnus for your post:
Unread 06-08-2015, 05:33 PM   #9
alvin
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurusu View Post
Or you can get a poor man's 712. It's already hardly manageable when you are expecting it. Imagine if it comes as a surprise.
What is it? I have never heard this. From collecting point of view, I don't need to buy any C96 anymore. Current collection fits me well. But still buy and sell to generate some activity. Of course, if it's a very special one, I will consider.
Unread 06-08-2015, 05:34 PM   #10
alvin
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurusu View Post
What is it? I have never heard this variation... well, from collecting point of view, I don't need to buy any C96 anymore. Still missing many rare variations, but current collection fits me well (I can only put so much into hobby anyway). But I still buy and sell some duplicates from time to time to generate some activity. Most transactions nowadays are towards this direction.

New love is FN 1900. This is an interesting pistol too. And price is still low.
Unread 06-08-2015, 08:40 PM   #11
Curss
User

The M712 is a select fire C96, I believe it was capable of full auto.
Unread 06-08-2015, 08:54 PM   #12
alvin
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curss View Post
The M712 is a select fire C96, I believe it was capable of full auto.
I don't have it. It's very awkward for me to play something need special permit in this state. The state is not gun friendly. Only got a "714", and missing magazine.

CMR sells 10-round magazines. Claimed being original. But I did not see its condition, so, probably will wait a US seller. Saw quite a few of those magazines in the past, but short of supply currently.

If anyone has spare original Schnellfuer magazines in mint (or, at least excellent) condition for sale, I'd like to buy one.
Unread 06-08-2015, 08:56 PM   #13
Jim Mac
User

They didnt have a chance to have the smith look at it today. They said call wed. Or Thursday and if their gun guy wont or cant fix it they will price it as a non working gun. Ive got a mismatched broomhandle probably imported from china bored to a 9mm. This would be a way to get it back to a 7.63 and have a project to play with. I would have a functioning gun to compare it to. Jim
Unread 06-08-2015, 09:57 PM   #14
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Keep in mind that you cannot legally attach a repro stock to a Broomhandle. Dumb reg. considering you can do this with a Luger Navy or Artillery.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2015, 10:18 PM   #15
CAP Black
User

Location: Fairmont, WV Right here in Mountaineer country and God's country

I think you should be able to obtain that item for approx. $ 550 or so. Try for less.
Thanks
Jack
CAP Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2015, 10:54 PM   #16
Jim Mac
User

I mentioned the sbr thing with the stock. It fell on deaf ears. Its like explaining 922 rules on AK47. Its a rule but pretty much nobody pays attention to it and bringing it up to a guy shooting a ak at the range will probably get you permanently booted from the range. Ill call back later this week and see what tbe price ends up at. A couple months ago they had a colt 1889 revolver missing a hammer and poor finish for $50. I picked it up got it .slyly functioning and got rid of it. I will keep up on the pistol. Hopefully Ill have a look at what I bought post. Jim
Unread 06-08-2015, 11:01 PM   #17
alvin
User

You can get a repro broomhandle stock for $30. ATF requires the C96 stock looks like original one. Translate into practical term, "roughly looks like an original one". So, don't attach a Luger style board-like stock to it.
Unread 06-09-2015, 01:09 AM   #18
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Quote:
What is it? I have never heard this variation... well, from collecting point of view, I don't need to buy any C96 anymore. Still missing many rare variations, but current collection fits me well (I can only put so much into hobby anyway). But I still buy and sell some duplicates from time to time to generate some activity. Most transactions nowadays are towards this direction.

New love is FN 1900. This is an interesting pistol too. And price is still low.
Alvin,
a poor man's 712, is any broomhandle that has a problem that makes or allows it to fire "full auto"! As you know this will get you in trouble with the Feds as surely as a real one!
DonVoigt is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 06-09-2015, 04:37 AM   #19
kurusu
User

Quote:
I don't have it. It's very awkward for me to play something need special permit in this state. The state is not gun friendly. Only got a "714", and missing magazine.

CMR sells 10-round magazines. Claimed being original. But I did not see its condition, so, probably will wait a US seller. Saw quite a few of those magazines in the past, but short of supply currently.

If anyone has spare original Schnellfuer magazines in mint (or, at least excellent) condition for sale, I'd like to buy one.
Now is my turn to ask the questions. What is a 714?

The M712 or M1932 is the selective fire version of the 1930 variant of the C96. It can shoot in semi auto mode or full auto. It's pretty much uncontrollable in full auto if you are not using the shoulder stock.

But thanks to Curss and DonVoigt you already know this.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2015, 07:18 AM   #20
alvin
User

That's right. Mauser has never assigned a name to "714". More commonly seen "712" was not called as "712" by Mauser either.

Selective firing "712" came from US importer Stoeger in 1930s. Stoeger called semi-auto only version "Genuine Mauser Twenty Shot 7.63 m/m Pistol". In 1980s, another US importer assigned "714" to their products which does look a few percent like Mauser. Since all these designations were not factory anyway, Navy Arms was so imaginative, plus "714" is a shorter name, it does not hurt to call it 714.

Being a rare variation too. Stoeger price was $100 in 1930s, coming with a 10-shot and a 20-shot magazine. Translating into today's dollar value, roughly $3600.
The following member says Thank You to alvin for your post: