LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 01-05-2024, 12:30 PM   #1
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default Trying to get a grip!

Hi to all! Trying to get a grip on things is an understatement to say the least! The last couple of months have been a struggle to make things work? There is always one (or maybe two) Lugers that defy repair no matter what you try! Ok, enough whinning! Even during those rough times, there is still a nut or two of wisdom to be harvested, if you can just get your headgear flushed out and take a different path to your goal!
Now back to the topic, getting a grip. I'm literally talking about grips! Originals, repros, and then lumped together, quality grip sets no matter when made.. On the plastic grip front, nothing new, fake Bakelite grips last a few strings and then chip or crack, like is said, nothing new. On the walnut / wood panels, not much new there either, but the old saying,"you get what you pay for" might be more relivent then we priviously thought?
That brings me up to present, and almost by default, I made an interesting discovery, at least to myself, and it evolved as follows!
I am constantly on the lookout for nice DWM grip sets, especially 1920 manufacture. They usually fit other early lugers as well, BUT, the known supply has dried up as in, none to be found! So I decided to take the plunge, and ordered several sets of KNILL GRIFF P.08 sets and paid my money and set in for a long wait. Well, the wait wasn't that long, and the sets I ordered arrived in fine shape. I immeadiatly tried them on a 1920 and was immeadiatly crushed! They didn't fit, and looks like nothing good could be done to fit them... Oh well, lesson learned, but then I decided to try them on a Mauser Luger, low and behold, they fit perfect, not just good, but PERFECT, tried them on more Mausers from a G date thru a byf, and all were a perfect fit! Also, made of very dense walnut and precision machined. I mean not even tool marks. Anyway, they are expensive, but I think they would last a lifetime. So, now you know, and for me, back to the workbench to taunt my hobbits! Best to all, til......lat'r....GT...
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 16 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post: