LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 12-19-2006, 09:16 PM   #1
SteveW
User

Default Luger magazine questions

I recently (just this evening!) purchased a WW1 Military magazine for my 1915 Imperial. In discussing the deal I was offered a trade for my WWII Luger magazine plus a "small amount of cash". I decided to keep the WWII one that came with the gun simply because that's how I got the gun.
Because of that offer I assume a WWII magazine in a comparable condition is worth more than a WWI magazine. Seems somewhat strange as the WWI magazine is certainly much older. Is the higher price due to the fact that less Luger magazines were made during WWII? I'm aware that some WWII magazines had plastic bottoms and some have aluminum. Is one rarer - more valuable than the other? I'd have to honestly say the magazine I have which is an fxo with a plastic bottom is a solid 90% if not more. What would an approximate value be? Just trying to learn as I go. Rest assured I'm also doing some reading as time allows. Thanks in advance for any time spent in response. It's appreciated!
SteveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2006, 10:16 PM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Prices for a 90% FXO mag with an unmolested bakelite bottom would currently start at about $85 and go up from there... depending on how many are available and who needs them... I have also seen them go for well over $140.00 for really nice ones. Price is a matter of supply and demand. There seems to be a higher demand for WW2 antiques than WW1 because there is simply more interest that time period and the effect it had on world society... Naturally the WW2 generally have about 20 to 25 years less wear on them as well. The final mags made (FXO) type, were the best ever made... solid extruded steel that was machined instead of stamped and folded sheetmetal like the old ones. IMHO, the FXO type is the FINEST handgun magazine ever made.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2006, 11:39 PM   #3
SteveW
User

John, thanks for the input it's appreciated. The fxo I have honestly is very pristine. Could be mistaken for new. The man wants $175 for the wood bottom WWI magazine. Is that way to high? Reason I question is that he asked me about the mag I did have and then said he would trade and throw in "a little extra cash to boot". The WWI magazine is a military issue with the wood bottom and numbered etc. So is $175 to high or...? I don't mind someone making a few bucks at all. Just don't want to get really lead down the primrose path I guess! Appreciate any advice on that! Thanks again.
SteveW is offline   Reply With Quote