LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-28-2001, 10:05 PM   #1
Ray
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Grip care revisited

Gentlemen:

While not wanting to beat a dead horse to death, your(Marvin,Robert, Hugh) comments posted on grip care sparked my curiosity. I decided to see how other collectors of antiquities handle the wood restoration problem.The most interesting source of information was on Al Frasca's Trapdoor Springfield sight. This can be found at www.trapdoorcollector.com under the section on restorations. This was very interesting as he describes a product called Renaissance wax used by museums worldwide to preserve guns. I would be very interested in getting your read on this article as it might apply to our interests.It turns out that you can purchase this stuff from Brownells, Inc.

Unread 04-29-2001, 05:50 AM   #2
Marvin
User

Default Re: Grip care revisited

Ray,

The Renaissance Wax is the best available waz on the market and I use it on the stocl of my new made Mauser hunting rifle (1998). Since the stock does not have the poly finish, I use this wax to give added protection from rain, sun, etc. it also make the stock look and feel nice. As to using this waz on a set of checkered Luger grips, I feel it would be very difficult to get the wax out of the checkering and it may leave a whitish appearance.

I have had the best result with the boiled linseed oil which I think was the original finish applied. Another treatment may be Tung Oil. Tung Oil also protects the wood and makes it water repellent. The best Tung Oil I have used id the small bottles sold by Homer Formby for furniture finishing. I use this for furniture I make from Walnut. It leaves it protected and makes the fuguring in the walnut look great. The Tung Oil is put on the same was as the BLO. I feel that either the BLO or Tung Oil will do a really nice job on the grips, just dont put too much and let it clog the checkering.

Marvin