LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 06-13-2018, 05:35 PM   #1
hayhugh
User

Default Test luger sear dilemma

Purchased the Army Test Luger that came on the market last month. While doing deep cleaning have come up against really hard grease /lub. Soaking in Kroil and then brushing with bronze wool. Removed the sear bar and Plunger would not move. Tried few drops of Kroil on plunger and tried light pressure on end of plunger hoping spring would resist and push back. Plunger is now flush with end of sear bar. Needless to say sear bar plunger holding pin will not budge either. Soaked the sear bar in Kroil over night and still nothing moves. Tried to tap sear bar against hard object hoping the spring would push plunger out but no luck. Have sear bar in container soaking in Hoppe's #9 at present.....

Any suggestions?
hayhugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2018, 06:23 PM   #2
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Sounds like this sear bar is a serious candidate for removal of the plunger and spring for a good cleaning, eh? Pressing out the retaining pin with a drill press sounds necessary, not only for the cleaning, and also to let some solvent in behind the plunger. Try some different solvents, too...maybe Break-Free... I'd say let 'er soak for a good long time with the pin removed. The plunger should need to emerge only enough to get ahold of its outer end in order to apply some "authority" to it. The pin is tiny, but the access granted through its hole may allow you to get an even smaller tool in there to get some movement going...
Unread 06-13-2018, 06:31 PM   #3
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Patience. Obviously the gunk of the past century has solidified to a significant degree, rendering the spring insufficient to push the plunger back out. Try a bit of heat (not much more that you could get with a candle) followed by immersion in Kroil. It may take several tries, don't give up. After the number of tries that exceed your patience, give another whack at removing the sear bar plunger retaining pin...there is no way built up grease could preclude removal of the pin.
Ron
Unread 06-13-2018, 07:04 PM   #4
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

I would try boiling it in water. This may soften up the congealed grease/gunk and might even loosen up the retaining pin. Don't let it sit on the bottom of the pan, suspend it on a bottlecap or something with sharp edges (so it won't transmit too much heat). Make sure it doesn't 'travel' in the heat currents (maybe lay something on top of it).

$.02...

FWIW, my 1900AE retaining pin was loose enough to push it out with a paperclip. You might get lucky...Do you feel lucky???
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 06-13-2018, 09:09 PM   #5
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Let it soak for several days in a thin penetrant oil- there are many, I use whatever is on sale.
Might take a week.
Gentle pressing of the plunger when it starts to move will work the new thin oil in and the old gunk out.

In the unlikely event it is a rust problem or soaking does not work, you will have to remove the pin. Though the pin really will not free up anything if you can't grasp the plunger with pliers- i.e. if it is pushed in flush with the end of the bar. May let a little more penetrant into the game.

The pin is smaller than any punch in my tool kit, so you will have to improvise, a small metal paper clip is the right size and if the small pin is not too "stuck" - you can press it out by hand.
If hand work doesn't do it, you will have to cut a very short length of clip, place the sear bar with pin over a hole in a flat metal support, and use a very small hammer to tap the improvised punch, I suggest holding the punch with needle nose pliers, it needs to be very short or it will bend.

Hope this helps.
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 06-14-2018, 12:10 AM   #6
gunbugs
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,139 Times in 377 Posts

Over the years I've had excellent results by dropping the offending part into a bottle of Hoppe's No9 solvent. If left overnight, most, if not all the old dried oil will just "fall off" and not be there anymore. And there is a very high chance the plunger will free up. No heat, no lubes, just an old fashioned solvent that has worked many, many times for me. Good luck!
gunbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to gunbugs for your post:
Unread 06-14-2018, 10:13 AM   #7
hayhugh
User

Success, after spending the night submerged in Hoppie's # 9. I dried it off and (as Ron Wood suggested: Try a bit of heat (not much more that you could get with a candle) put it to the flame. Within a few seconds a click was heard and the plunger was out. Tentative pushing/pulling and a drop or two of light oil and all is right with the world. The pin will still not budge and I have reinstalled the sear bar and will leave well enough alone...……...
hayhugh is online now   Reply With Quote
The following 6 members says Thank You to hayhugh for your post:
Unread 06-14-2018, 07:05 PM   #8
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

An ultrasonic cleaner may also help work it clean...
The following 4 members says Thank You to mrerick for your post: