LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Krieghoff Lugers

Unread 01-24-2008, 01:53 PM   #1
Paulsdad
New User

Default cleaning/preservation

Hello all,

I own a Krieghoff Luger that I inherited. I don't plan to shoot it, but would like to have it thoroughly cleaned/preserved for long-term storage.

I am reluctant to dissasemble the pistol myself, because I don't want to risk scratching it up, chipping the grips, etc. Can anyone on the forum recommend someone who can do this?

I'm also concerned about shipping the gun. I don't want to accidentally run afoul of the "gun police", or get wrapped up in a lot of red tape getting the gun back. I also would hate for it to somehow disappear during shipment.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Paulsdad
Unread 01-24-2008, 02:04 PM   #2
Navy
RIP

Paulsdad,

rest your fears. There is no need to use anything that will scretch your gun. To remove the grips, use a soft metal screwdriver (Aluminum/bronze) or use a regular screwdriver of the proper size. If the screws seem resistant to being unscrewed, a few drops of penetrating oil and a little time will solve that problem. To ensure grips don't get the safety area chip, remove the right grip first-I always insert my finger in the magazine well and press out on the inner surface of the grip plate-and voila, it pops right off. Then take the gun and laying it down right side up on a padded/cushioned surface, press straight down on the inside of the left grip. It will come off cleanly and safely.

The rest of the disassembly and re-assembly is straight forward.

You can clean it yourself, quickly and easily.

hen you have finished the cleaning, wipe the exterior down with a soft cloth and then give it a light coat of Renaissance Wax-available on the internet, Google it. The wax leaves a protective film that does not attract dust as an oil wipe down does.

Cheers,

Tom A
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Welcome to the Lugerforum Paulsdad...

We would love to see photos of your Krieghoff as they are always something special in the Luger community...

If you need technical advice, you have come to the right place.

Just remember, Nothing on a Luger needs to be forced to assemble or disassemble it. The only tool you need for the level of disassembly you need is a screwdriver as described by Tom A above, nothing that needs additional tools needs to be disassembled on a Luger unless there is something broken or the gun is to be refinished... not the case for you.

There are excellent video clips on Youtube.com on the disassembly and reassembly of the Luger. There were created by a forum member. You can find them by just searching for "Luger" on that website.

Hope you enjoy your stay with us... and ask if you need any other questions answered...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2008, 12:12 PM   #4
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

I have communicated with Paulsdad off line and he has informed me and authorized me to post that he lives in Winston-Salem, NC...

Any members in proximity to that area than has time to visit and give him a hand with disassembly and could post some photos of this newly emerged Krieghoff from the shadows of a vet's war booty... please contact me via PM and I will put you in touch with him.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote