LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 05-09-2002, 07:56 AM   #1
Thor
User

Default Survivors & Sore Thumbs

Jan Still does has estimate on how many Lugers were made in each year but I often wonder how many of these survived and are still around. And, when I look at a Luger, I ask myself how many of these so called matching Lugers have restamped parts? Some of the restamping is very very obvious with Larger and incorrect number fonts, out of alignment of slanted numbers, and some of the "matching mags" are stamped WAY WAY to deep to be right. These stick out like a sore thumb! I guess that is good.....in a way, But unsightly. Thor

Unread 05-09-2002, 01:01 PM   #2
Marvin
User

Default Re: Survivors & Sore Thumbs

Hello Thor,

Yea, it would be nice to know the survival rate of the Lugers. In Whittington's books, he give the total made and a rating of 1 to 5 for scarcity, but that is based on the manufactured quantity.

What Orv Reickert has done with the P.38, is to compile a one page document with a rating system from "A" to "L". The higher the letter, the more rare the pistol is. Orv's system is based on the survival rate of the P.38, and is based on his knowledge and the number reported to him over the years. It would be nice to have the same document for the Lugers, but it may be an almost imposibility due to the variations.

Just think what it would be like to have every Luger, currently in the US, to be reported to a central file with it's Technical Information. This would sure be a big help to researchers! All reports would not contain any person information, just pistol info.

Marvin

AMMOMAN