LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 07-08-2001, 09:52 PM   #1
James Gray

Default 1918 Erfurt Luger

I recently aquired a Luger and P38 at an estate sale. The luluger is an 1918 Erfurt about 80-90% finish and completely matching as far as I can tell includeing the wood bottom mag! I have two questions one is every part has a proof mark on it, a small crown over a stylized letter, does this mean it has been reworked or are all the proofs normal? The second question is the pin that retains the take down lever protrudes from the pistol 1/8 inch and seems spring loaded? In total I can see on the outside of the pistol twenty or so proofs including five on the right side of the rreceiver, a number of eagles none nazi.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,

James

Unread 07-08-2001, 10:10 PM   #2
Johnny Peppers
User

Default Re: 1918 Erfurt Luger

The Erfurt was proofed in accordance with the order of 1910 specifying the type and location of proofs for the P08. Being a government arsenal, Erfurt complied with the order, but DWM being a commercial firm did not.

Is the spring that you speak of protruding from the bottom of the frame, or the right side? It is not unusual for the spring to protrude slightly from the bottom of the frame, but not sure I ever saw one stick out 1/8". Maybe someone made a replacement.

Unread 07-09-2001, 10:12 AM   #3
BCC

The spring protrusion you are referring is a common trait on 1917 and 1918 Erfurt Lugers. I would say 1/8 is a bit on the long side but not out of character for pistols of these years from Erfurt, perhaps 1/16 or so is more expected on these. I concur with the other response on the proofs question.

Unread 07-09-2001, 08:17 PM   #4
James Gray

Thanks for the info.

James