LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 07-10-2008, 10:13 PM   #1
jw-man
New User

Default Were any original lugers stainless?

So my dad brough home a luger his brother had for what he believes at least 40yrs... I tried to research a little and appears to have all the numbers stamped on it and from what I can tell has mauser markings... Seems odd but it appears to be stainless steel. I can't find anything indicating they ever made them this way originally, any info?
Has a nice holster stamped 1941.....
TIA!
jw-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2008, 09:24 AM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Let me add my welcome to the Lugerforum and to TAC's comments, that many GI's had their Luger war trophy nickle plated when they got home after WW2... Of course not knowing that it would dramatically affect their collector value 60 years later... it is the likely reason the one your uncle had was plated.

Post some good clear focus closeup photos and we will tell you all we can about the Luger, and as Tac suggested, there is an identification procedure and form available under the General Information page of this website.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,106 Times in 1,429 Posts

I have rarely seen a Nickle plated Luger here in the US. Most returning GI's took their pistols to the local auto bumper chromer. They were quite prevelant here in the 50's & 60's.

Nickle plate was much more specialized and much harder to locate in the USA. It has a totally different surface and color, a yellowish highlight. I have many DWM Nickle wood bottom mags and the nickle on these is beautiful. Quite thin too, compared to chrome.

On almost every Luger I have examined here, it was buffed and Cadillac bumper chromed. Hard as heck to get off too.

Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote