LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 06-14-2008, 10:07 AM   #1
rldarmstr
User

Default Magazine bottom cracked

I have an FXO blued magazine that has a cracked plactic bottom. I would like to either repair it or replace it.

I am not concerned with keeping it historically correct. I just want it functional!

How do I remove the bottom from the mag? I see no pins. Is it a press fit?

Thanks,

Robert
rldarmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2008, 11:26 AM   #2
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

Send it to Gerald Tomek. He can replace the cracked bottum with a perfect reproduction with no damage to the body. I believe he goes by "GT" on this site.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
rldarmstr
User

George,

Thanks,, I'm sure Greald can do a fine job, but I really wanted to know how the bottom was attached not who to take it to.

I am really surprised how difficult it is to get any meaning full information, other than names and email addresses, from this site.

This magazine bottom is attached to the rest of the mag. somehow. It can't be rocket science, is there no one who knows how to remove it how it is afixed?

I'm not trying to offend anyone, I just want to know if it is possible for me to do it myself.
Unread 06-14-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
laoshi75
User

Your recent post on our "Holster forum":

"I recently acquired a 1915 holster that appears to have had the strap replaced.

If I could come up with the correct thickness and type of leather I would do this myself but that may take a while so I am asking for information on someone who can; 1) give me advise on this and 2) possibly make a more correct repair to that part of the holster."

----
Hello,

...Yes, I gave you recently the name and the email address of someone who is able to help you..sorry, I was unable to let you know how to sew the strap by yourself ( it is probably a rocket science). christian
laoshi75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2008, 03:03 PM   #5
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default fxo bottom

They are all attached with a rivet! It is drilled right thru the finger pull dimples and then the rivet ends up-set on both ends... Lugerdoc is the ONLY guy who has the quality replica Black Plastic bottoms and correct rivets!! And, rumor has it that they are drying up...soooooo, I wouldn'y dally if i was you! til...lat'r...GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2008, 05:33 PM   #6
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

Robert the reason I gave you GT's name was so that you might be able to save a magazine that is worth upwards of $200. When I want magazine work done I go to the guy who does a flawless job. When I want electrical work done I go to an electrician. When I want surgery I go to a surgeon. When I want advice or criticism I go to my wife.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2008, 05:40 PM   #7
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Thanks George!

Thanks George, for the nice words and support.... and yes, I've had one or two mag repairs go thru my hands over the last 25 years! Best to all, til...lat'r.....GT
Unread 06-14-2008, 08:38 PM   #8
Mauser720
User

Robert -

I recently purchased a CD which is the "Technical Manual & Armorer's Course" for Luger pistols. It is made by the American Gunsmithing Institute. A portion of this approximately 90 minute instructional technical manual on video does cover the disassembly of the Luger magazines. If you are certain you want to attempt this by yourself, then I would recommend this particular CD to you. However, I completely agree with George Anderson that it is a very risky procedure. And I do not think I would attempt it myself, even though I have lots of gunsmithing tools, and have studied this CD too. It only takes one little "mistake" and you will have ruined a $200+ magazine. So I do not mean to belabor the point, but it really is best to let an expert (Lugerdoc) do it for you.

Mauser720 - Ron
Unread 06-14-2008, 09:22 PM   #9
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,508 Times in 2,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by rldarmstr

I am really surprised how difficult it is to get any meaning full information, other than names and email addresses, from this site.

well, I AM a bit offended by this. There are hundreds of posts here, do some searching, besides us giving you free advice, you can look up what you are wanting to know.

You got a quick reply with some advice, if you don't like it, rephrase your question and say, I am a mechanically inclined and would like to do this work myself, can someone help me.

You should be able to look at the magazine and see there is a pin in the middle of it, is it a real FXO magazine or a replacement that is not desgined the same way?

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2008, 11:31 AM   #10
laoshi75
User

Hey Gerald, this reminds me a sad story I had a few years ago with a wonderful
Erfurt mag (two imperial proofs !). I wanted to adjust properly the small pin which retains the wood bottom... ....I spent several hours fighting with this pin, and one of the two little holes broke.. I finally sold my mag for nothing .. I will never open a Luger magazine.
Unread 06-15-2008, 12:15 PM   #11
rldarmstr
User

Well Ed, if you want to be offend go right ahead. As I stated in my last post, that was not my intend but I can't stop you from feeling that way if you are bend on that.

To the gentleman who answered my holster question: Thanks...I think I also thanked you on that forum thread? I have contacted the gentllman you recommended and have found him to be just that, a gentleman. He now has my business. I would have done that job myself also but I would have had to shop around for the correct leather and thickness and color or color it myself and that would have taken time. More time and effort than I can devote to that right now. Though it was a small project I am willing to have Jerry do it because in this area, where I live, it would have been more touble than it was worth.

I posted a question about recutting checkering on worn grips and got a person's name in response. That is the only response. I found his email address and emailed him. That was over a week ago and still no reply. Maybe he is sick or out of town???? In the mean time I ordered a couple of checkering tools, (I did not have any 75' cutters.....see I did read enough to know that) and will do that job myself also.

I posted another question about magazines and got no replies so I poked the quesion and got a 'If you post the serial number of the pistol it would help' ( something close to that anyway.) So......I posted the serial number and got ZIP for responces. When I poked the question again I got a one liner. It did answer my question and I am grateful for that but it was curt.

I see people post quesitons on here all the time, about mismatched Rube Goldberg guns and get pages of responses. Everything from personal opinions to actual factual information. It would appear that if someone posts a question that allows others to promote their personal agenda then the responses flow like water from the tap.

As for as reading for myself and doing a little research, I have and I can. Ask me about Springfields or Krags or even M1 Garands and I'll prove to you that I can read. Does it not however, occure to any of you 'experts' that there are people that have bought ( for whatever reason) or inherited a Luger and want to just get a little information about the gun, the magazine, the holster? They (we) don't want to be 'experts', we just want a litte help. Isn't that what forums are for? We are not collectors and will never be collectors.

So...if any of you good folks want to be offened just go right ahead. When you calm down a bit, take a look in the mirror and tell the guy that is staring back at you that you always do the right thing and you are the good guy. Hell yes, I'll be the bad guy here if it makes you feel better....this was only a means to and end, however; the end has came a lot sooned that I had anticipated when I regestered with this form!
Unread 06-15-2008, 02:05 PM   #12
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Luger mag work!

Hi Christian, You unfortunately discovered one of the more challenging aspects of Luger mag repair... How could something that looks so easy, be so darn hard to do correctly!!?? Well, first off, I have certainly and permanently ruined my share of Luger parts, and it brings up the old adage, "If you want to make an omelet, you're going to have to break a few eggs!!" Meaning, that you don't acquire the skill or knowledge, without some cost, to you or to others!.. I have made the following observations that might help some others thru the repair journey, just before they ruin their prized magazine...

1) Even though the mags are originally numbered to the gun, it was certainly realized that they would be damaged, lost, switched and replaced in practical use... So, they were somewhat expendable...... with this in mind, you can be critical of the way they were mass produced... no different then tin cans and /or other containers. They were made fast and cheap, out of non-strategic materials. And with this philosophy, comes our problems with repair, they were really not intended to be repaired, or even disassembled for that matter.....

2) the bottoms were put into the tube in final assembly and the whole item was drilled through, (this is proven by the internal drill flashing inside, sometimes, external drill flashing far outside), and then pinned in one operation... because of loose placement in the fixtures, and drill bit wander, they might all start in the same hole on one side, but, the hole in the mag bottom will never line up with the hole on the far side, if switched from one tube to another!!!.. unless you're really, really lucky! So the common result is a bigger hole then when you started, and sometimes even worse, broken bottom or cracked shell.....

3) along with the proper tools, you have to have some type of self taught technique, and as a result, I don't mess up too often anymore...

ridearmstr, you can come and stay, or go as you wish, no one wished upon you a bumpy start.. There won't be looking in any mirrors over an internet comment or thread, it's just not that important... But if you stay, it would be far more advisable to treat members of long standing with a bit of respect... as most of these people are now good friends over time and interaction.. As for me, I will certainly answer your questions if they are clear and concise, and do not poke at ones eyes with sarcasm... If I have to guess at what you want to accomplish, It will take a bit longer to come up with an answer that suits you... At any rate, best to you and good luck with your mag repair... til...lat'r....GT
Unread 06-15-2008, 04:34 PM   #13
laoshi75
User

Hello Gerald,

Many thanks for your complete message. I keep in my mind these words:"they (the magazines) were really not intended to be repaired, or even disassembled for that matter".
Also, if I need to have my mags repaired, I do not make now the job by myself.
I have the same conviction about my leather stuff..if I have any problem with one holster: I put it into a package.. to Jerry Burney ! I believe this kind of repairs, apparently very easy, need special tools and also a great expertise.
Thank you very much Gerald.
Unread 06-16-2008, 08:41 AM   #14
jamese
User

Robert,

I'm with Ed on this one, you come here ask advice and when you dont like what is said you insult the membership.

George gave you the very best advice and that is to have someone who knows what their doing repair the damage mag.

This site is full of "meaningful" information if you take a little time and look.
Instead, of looking for the information yourself, you want someone to give you step by step instructions on how to do it.

I recomend you be a little less demannding to requests in the future if you want any meaningful responses.

Jim