LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 12-13-2005, 03:57 PM   #1
GaCop
New User

Default 1940 Mauser "42" Luger

I've just purchased the above listed pistol from the son of the deceased veteran who brought it back from Europe in 1945. The pistol is all matching with the last two of "66". The serial number is 466 on the front of the frame with a styalized "c" below that.

The son advised me his father stated he took the pistol from an SS NCO who surrendered in their mad dash to avoid the Russians near the Elbe river.

The veteran was assigned to Company "F", 406th Infantry Reg., 102nd Infantry Division. Checking this info on the net shows all information correct. The veteran had someone engrave two plates which he affixed to each grip panel which were then covered by clear plastic panels to protect the engraving. One plate shows "SSgt James Weeks, Ruhr - Rhine - Elbe 1945". The other panel is engraved "Company F, 406th Inf Reg., 102 Inf Div.

The bore is bright and shiney, the bluing is at least 75% with freckling on the trigger plate and bluing loss on the high point of the plate and near the muzzle.

The black holster that came with it is very old and soft with a poor repair to the stitching to the flap. Attached to the flap is a gold or brass colored eagle and swastika that has verdigris along the edges from age.

Isd it possible to give me a ball park value on this piece? I can supply pictures at a later date. I bought the pistol/holster from the son for $600 (hope I didn't pay too much).

Tom
Unread 12-13-2005, 04:06 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,518 Times in 2,087 Posts

I PM'd you, read this closer, the holster is not worth a lot because if it being soft and the add'on's, however, $600 was good to very reasonable, might be worth several hundred more.

Your 75% bluing makes a big difference in value, if less, then worth more.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2005, 04:14 PM   #3
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,528 Times in 787 Posts

Tom, at $600 you probably got a deal. Normally the personal touch on the grips would detract from the pistol's value and probably does in this case. You may still be able to enhance the gun's value by promptly getting ahold of the son and asking for two things.

First ask him to search his Dad's papers to see if an Army permit to bring the pistol home can be found. Next ask the son to write a brief letter to you describing the circumatances his father related to him in regard to the weapon's acquisition. Also ask for a brief bio of the old man to include place of birth, date of birth and (most important) service number.

If the vet's unit did indeed disarm some SS types and the pistol can be so documented to have come from one of these guys, you may have a $1200 gun. In all future correspondence with the heirs and in the search for documents, the mention of the serial number is paramount to any hope of creating provenance.

Good luck.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2005, 04:30 PM   #4
GaCop
New User

Thanks for the information. I will post pictures ASAP.
Unread 12-14-2005, 10:24 AM   #5
tudorbug
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Hi, Warner Robins! Greetings from a Luger enthusiast in Macon.

Very kindly, David
tudorbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2005, 10:56 AM   #6
Navy
RIP

GaCop and tudorbug,

/Tom A
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2005, 07:40 AM   #7
GaCop
New User

A big hello to tudorbug and Tom A! The vets son advised me he is still looking for the bring back papers and a Nazi flag his father brought back

Tom